Post Match: Palace v Liverpool (EPL 9/12/23 12.30pm)

Rugby? Not the case there. Or cricket.

In both cases the umpire asks for a check if unsure

1 Like

We arenā€™t talking about whether a referee is deferring a decision to VAR as such a scenario doesnā€™t even exist in football.

We are talking about a decision being made on-field, the situation going to VAR ( in the case of cricket, via review), and the on-field being kept if subjectivity could mean that the original decision was a realistic decision.

In cricket, Itā€™s the reason why umpireā€™s call of out is kept even when ball tracking shows it missing by 10cm, or the opposite where umpireā€™s call of not-out is kept even when ball tracking shows the ball hitting 5cm below the bails. Itā€™s no different in football. Trying to preserve human decision making in the sport even with itā€™s flaws.

Iā€™m not trying to be an asshole, but this question has been explained multiple times. The answer is not satisfying, but the answer has been given.

Ah yeah fair enough, my bad memories of this place comes probably from Rodgersā€™ time with us.

On the other hand, I canā€™t remember one easy game at Selhurst Park. But maybe Iā€™m wrong on that too.

1 Like

Not easy, but mostly wins.

1 Like

We won 7-0 there in 20/21. I came on here and loudly proclaimed we were going to win the league. Our season took a quick and steep nosedive after that.

After seeing yesterdayā€™s game, there is no hope for us. Zero. Zilch. We wonā€™t win this league.

3 Likes

Weve now won 7 of last 8 there and drew the other.

3 Likes

A lot think we donā€™t do well at Palace stems from the 3 - 3 draw.

2 Likes

1 Like

Iā€™ll caveat this up front by saying that even without getting the ball itā€™s very harsh to give that as a pen against us as contact us supposed to be required to consequential to the attacker not being able to keep the ball and I dont think you can say that about their pen.

As for VAR, in both cases you cannot really gauge the VAR recommendation without knowing what the ref thought he saw in making his original decision. In both the the ones in our game, it looks like ti comes down to a question of whether the ref thinks the defender got the ball and making his decision based on the incorrect view that both defenders did. As soon as the images show he didnā€™t then it jumps from ā€œrerefereeing a decisionā€ to something objective that rises to ā€œclear and obviousā€.

You compare ours tot he one Arsenal didnt get and its likely the ref saw the defender didnā€™t get the ball and still thought it was not a foul and that makes it a very different situation for VAR.

Not every bit of minimal contact in the box is a penalty. VAR does my head in with regards to that. Itā€™s a contact sport ffs.

1 Like

Luiz on Jesus yesterday was far more of a pen than Quansah, nothing given & in a way it was a pretty similar incident with the defender kicking the back of the attackerā€™s foot after the attacker got a touch to the ball first.

I know, we all know the answer is given.

We agree the answer is unsatisfactory.
Its a rhetorical question

It is the inconsistency that drives us all crazy. Between refs and with the same ref. A different ref/var doesnā€™t give the penā€¦ but a different ref might also let Ayew off with a final warning (remember Konate a months or so ago) rather than a second yellow. Even though that was a pretty clear yellow card tactical foul to stop a counter attack.

So I feel like on the day we are even on questionable calls for big decision - got the foul thru var to wipe out the first pen son maybe 2-1 in our favor in big decisions.

All well within the could be called either way rangeā€¦

The comparisons between konateā€™s and ayewā€™s are pretty superficial though. Thatā€™s is why the ā€œwhere the is consistency, Jimā€ complaints tend to be really unhelpful.

3 Likes

Strangely it feels since that 3-3 weā€™ve struggled at home more though 13-2-2 just says weā€™ve mostly beat them.

2 Likes

The wife was giving me the eyes as I was ranting at their 1st penalty award, I said straight away that there was a foul on Endo and was getting more & more vexed as they kept showing the replay and with the ref then taking ages and seeming to be arguing with VAR before finally giving the blatant foul.

On their 2nd penalty there was contact late, fair enough, but as others have said how can you apply stopping the game mid flow when they couldnā€™t do against Tottenham seems a contradiction.

And agreed on their two yellows.

As I said in a previous post, says a lot about the ref when an offside is given against us and he allows it to be taken 2 metres inside our half

Maybe one day weā€™ll find out but until then I guess weā€™re all out of answers

1 Like

Only thing is whether the game had stopped and restarted before the award, I couldnā€™t remember

It hadnā€™t was still same phase of play thats the difference in the VAR lottery.