Post Match: Palace v Liverpool (EPL 9/12/23 12.30pm)

Unquestionably. To use a cliché, this is their cup final.

5 Likes

I didn’t see a close up replay, but wasn’t the penalty soft? It looked 50/50 as to who got the ball first. Quansah had no choice but to go for it.

Palace didn’t seem overly bothered when it happened.

1 Like

i dont know how its a penalty, let alone a clear and obvious error for VAR to review.

sillyness.

2 Likes

A win is a win is a win… but surely we rely too much on our Greek God Alisson Becker!!!
Stranger things have happened… maybe he can carry us on his back to this league title which looks like it’s up for grabs!
Alisson is quickly turning into my favourite player on the team and that takes some doing…
YNWA!

1 Like

I know that its apples and oranges…
But a lenghty review yesterday and play brought back for a penalty that was at best questionable.

Why didn’t the VAR at Spurs recommend going back and awarding the Diaz goal…

7 Likes

We were lethargic, untidy, and disorganized for most part. Yet we won and it wasn’t a fluke. This speaks volumes about our quality and mentality. Three points all that matter. Onwards and upwards.

6 Likes

that old one?..ancient history…mistakes were made and everything is OK now…

1 Like

That’s it exactly. After seeing the incident again last night, it wasn’t a clear and obvious error by the referee, when he didn’t give it. VAR shouldn’t have intervened.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a view of the incident which shows it to be a clear foul? I haven’t seen that yet.

Depends if he had a clear view or not. As usual we don’t know what the conversation was. It might be that the ref gets asked by VAR. Did you have a clear view of that? He might say no I didn’t. We can’t judge the incident without knowing what the communication was. The long delay was the offside check and not the tackle apparently.

I heard that TNT have decided not to show the lines in their coverage of games. Is that true?

We never saw the offside that was checked, and the video angle on the foul was from a distance, so the whole thing was inconclusive to say the least.

It’s just typical of the lack of transparency with the officiating.

2 Likes

The argument then is, if the referee didn’t have a clear view, then he hasn’t made a clear and obvious error. I don’t know, I’m old and confused by it all.

2 Likes

Quite the opposite I would say. If he didn’t have a clear view he could well make an obvious error. Say it was a handball on the line and he didn’t see it. Would that be an obvious error or could he say I didn’t see it clearly so couldn’t give it.

In that case, they should show us how it was clear and obvious.

What I saw was unclear and vague.

2 Likes

I agree. No-one in real time could give that or not give it as a penalty with any measure of confidence…but isn’t that precisely the function of VAR to adjudicate those very marginal situations that require a freeze frame or slow mo.

There was a very similar incident where Arsenal were not given a penalty for a tackle on Gabriel Jesus…

I don’t know if it’s really true in terms of stats, but it seems to me that we’ve lost quite some points against Crystal Palace in the last seasons. Selhurst Park is an awfully tough place to go, and to be fair to Uncle Woy, he knows how to set up his teams in order to make things uncomfortable for any opponent.

So, to get the three points after having gone behind (deservedly so), is fabulous. Add to this the 12.30 away fixture in London after a midweek game, also away from home, and honestly, there is nothing left for us but to applaud the players and their outstanding fighting spirit and quality.

Like for what happened in Sheffield, the bench made a massive difference for the end of this game, and that’s something to be really satisfied about as well. Allisson kept us in the game, and then the superior quality made the difference in the last fifteen minutes.

I had this game down as a loss beforehand, to be honest, because of our history in these kind of games, especially last season. But the lads don’t stop to surprise me. Long may it go on! :+1:

4 Likes

Klopp’s 13/2/2 v CP

3 Likes

Caught up with the highlights and can’t for the life of me see what the fuss is about from Roy and the rest of the football media.

Clear foul on Endo before their first penalty. For the ref not to blow for that and rely on VAR to bail him out is a joke.

Ayew’s first booking is 100% a booking. The laws say deliberately preventing a quick free kick must result in the player being booked. Just because it doesn’t always get applied doesn’t mean it’s harsh to apply it.

His second booking is exactly the kind of foul everyone insisted was a booking when Konate got away with one. No real attempt to play the ball, breaks up a promising counter attack.

The biggest controversy is their second penalty and yet everyone seems to be fine with VAR re-refereeing the game and that reaching the bar set for clear and obvious error.

Great to see it’s boiling everyone’s piss. Great to see us top of the league without really hitting top form. Would like us to pick things up a bit though, can’t keep letting ourselves fall behind before we really start to play.

11 Likes

Was there any other angle of the Quansah tackle?

It looked impossible to tell if he gets a touch on the ball from the angle I’ve seen. I wouldn’t bet he did, but you can’t be sure given the perspective offered.

4 Likes

I would say no. In every sport, the video ref is there only to change a ruling when there is a blatant miss or decision by the on-field ref. The Quansah tackle was extremely subjective. It was as close to a 50-50 call as can be made. And in such cases it makes little sense for the VAR to intervene. Similar to the “umpire’s call” in cricket.

But by the same token I think the Endo foul was certainly tight enough that the VAR could have stuck with the original on-field decision as well.

I think both are basically 50-50 and they both should not have had involvement by VAR other than to say “check complete. Well done boys. Good process”.

1 Like