Post match: Palace vs Liverpool (EPL 5/10/24 12.30pm)

What was with Maca?

@TheSweetSilverSong diagnosing Ali

7 Likes

Think 2 weeks of recuperation staying back in Liverpool would fix Alisson.

But the concerning bit is how regularly he gets those injuries for a keeper.

A potential mess sorted by Jaros who did fine during his time.

4 Likes

1 Like

Meanwhile, @Alright_Now_Legend:

1 Like

Nketiah dropped deeper in the second half and was almost man-marking Gravenberch, leaving no one to support Gravenberch once Mac had already left. Both Jones and especially Szoboszlai were not clever enough in making themselves available to receive passes.

Gravenberch is on-fire but we do need more plans to help him.

6 Likes

Great to see Slot’s influence now taking shape and getting our South American players to feign injury so they don’t travel, memo must have been in English as Diaz never went down :grin:

8 Likes

I thought the back 4 and the 2 keepers played well. As for the rest, Grav and Gakpo played well. Jota, other than his goal, was wasteful.
Hopefully Alisson will recover in time for some of our tougher opponents after the international break.
3 points, top of the league over the break, well done!

4 Likes

WWWLWWW

No D’s. That’s what wins you titles.

19 Likes

W=worry for @jabu

1 Like

Exactly. Although losing at home to weaker sides also isn’t normally in the textbook :joy:. We’ve started well albeit with an easier set of matches; let’s see how we go against Chelsea (h) and Arsenal (a) before we start getting excited.

2 Likes

Slow start resulting in a wake up call with the offside goal. Then we took control with a nice Jota finish. Palace did nothing of note until injury time in the first half.

Second half started in the same way. Jota could’ve finished with a hattrick – the first just needed to be passed into the net, and the third was put on a plate by Trent, and you’d back Jota to knock them in while sleeping.

Alisson going off was a worry, and Jaros with a nice little cameo after spending years out on loan. Palace threw everything at the end, and we could’ve paid dearly with the Eze chance, but thankfully he hit it straight at Jaros.

Important thing was the win, Hopefully Alisson only has a mild grade injury, and Kelleher (also seems to pick up random injuries/illnesses) is back to take over. Alexis taken off at HT, hopefully nothing serious. He has been playing a lot recently.

2 Likes

I was not expecting much from today’s fixture as we were given another 12:30 start away from home and our usual dodgy officials the players after the first half looked knackered after being asked to perform after playing 47 hours of playing against a tough Bologna. Why could we not play at 3pm like all the other matches? I disagreed with Slot about his take on early starts u know he is trying to take away an excuse from our players if they had lost but all it did is add more pressure on our players in the last 30 min. Still very happy about the win but I was a nervous wreck at the end. Please please Liverpool resign VVD for another 3 years with Ali he was outstanding.

4 Likes

I gave my MoM to Tsimikas, for that absolute worldie of a pass he gave to Gakpo, and to the Dutchman for his move and the pass towards Diogo. A wonderful move between three great players who brought up the best when it was needed.

The last thirty minutes was a pain to watch for us, but let’s not forget the previous sixty, during which our lads were as dominant as they’ve ever been. At minute 60, 3-0 would have been the minimal reward, but our lads didn’t do the most out of their chances by any means.

For the last thirty, explanations can be put forward. The most obvious is the fatigue due to the mid-week CL game. CP were fresher and you could clearly see that towards the end. Then, nervosity was always going to creep in at some point with the lads upfront being unable to capitalise on our moves, and CP eventually putting their tails up.

Decisively, our lads stood up to the challenge, defended with all they had, got the necessary luck (not sure it wasn’t a pen with Trent wrestling the arms of his opponent late on), and dealt also with a ref team of perfect idiots. But we know Simon Hooper already, the word terrible doesn’t cover it.

8 Likes

Macca having to come off probably an explanation for the final 30 as well.

7 Likes

A match that ought to have been over by half time ended up a stressful affair because of the wastefulness in the final pass/shot. The worst part is the two injuries, Alisson’s in particular who doesn’t seem able to shake his hamstring problems. If only we could have taken one of the many promising openings we had in the first half, chances are that with a 2/3 goal cushion Palace make a token effort in the second half, we stroll to 3 points and Alisson never gets put in that situation.

Pity because we largely wasted a great first half of total dominance.

3 Likes

Good result of course, but far from a convincing display. Totally dominated the first half and only scored one goal, then went off the boil in the second half and could have let them back in it.
We need a big improvement for the tough fixtures coming up.
I hope Macca doesn’t go to the internationals and that Kelleher gets well soon. I don’t think Ali will be back soon.

2 Likes

Hamstring injury? Probably more like a month.

1 Like

At least

That felt like much harder work than it should have been. I went for Virg as MotM as I felt he held things together. 2nd vote for Jaros as he coped admirably on what must have been a shock appearance.

Very happy with the points, but the injuries are less welcome.

Ref shite again. I think it was the second half before we had a free kick for a foul, and at that point I though we had advantage. Snide bastard.

2 Likes