Post match: Palace vs Liverpool (EPL 5/10/24 12.30pm)

I’m worried it may be months, especially if it’s a recurrence. His reaction suggested that it was both frustrating and bad.

2 Likes

The Good

• Got some credible rotation - over the course of the season it will be critical to rotate players. I can understand why Slot has been hesitant, but this match was a shift. Lots of good minutes from down the depth chart, including two of the key contributors to the goal.

• Dominated possession, really controlled most of the game.

The Bad

• Alisson going down could really hurt us. Time for Kelleher to stand up (again).

• Really lacked a cutting edge, which almost hurt us badly. Jota could have had a hat trick.

• Starting to worry about Jones, his development seems to have stalled.

The Ugly

• For a game we controlled fairly thoroughly, that was way too close. Some key chances given up
3 Likes

Hope for the next international break I think is probably the best we can expect.

Hopefully Maca’s was a precaution that keeps him back in Liverpool.

2 Likes

We will have to wait and see. He has been struggling for a few weeks and returned to the bench after half time with ice on his thigh. So hopefully a precaution knowing he isnt 100%, but maybe enforced. Either way, it will be ridiculous if he goes away with Argentina given how strong a position they are in already and it was with them last time that the issue flared up in the first place.

I thought Jones was very good in the first half but drifted out of the game. Maybe not an unreasonable occurrence given how little football he’s had this season.

Another potential bad though is how much less effective we looked in the second half, and what that potentially says about the importance of Mac in keeping the ball ticking over.

6 Likes

I’d probably settle for a D at Arsenal tbh. :wink:

2 Likes

It seemed to me that once he started getting called for fouls, he wasn’t quite sure what he should be doing.

1 Like

Especially with that moron carrying the whistle.

2 Likes

One thing I would say in caution to that is Palace couldn’t be much worse.

Shit ref, I’ll take a win and not read massively into it.

1 Like

For A Few Dollars More

. You can buy a ref.

6 Likes

It does seem that Nunez doesn’t have a future at the club. After everything Slot has said about managing Jota’s game time, he plays the full game despite fluffing some chances.

Nunez should’ve been one of the second half subs. Taking Jones off for Endo seemed pointless when we should’ve been trying to get a second goal.

4 Likes

I was actually thinking that Nunez should have come on to create a little chaos in their box. We looked wonderfully controlled, but couldn’t actually do very much in their box. He might have been particularly effective once they started coming forward more aggressively late

6 Likes

Palace also had a hand in that. It was too easy in the first half and we didn’t cope very well with their increased intensity and higher press in the second. It’ll be interesting to see how well we’ll respond to the latter against Arsenal; so far every team that has used it, has caused us problems.

3 Likes

I’m guessing Alisson’s injury would have ended any such plans.

2 Likes

Arne’s post game interview.

9 Likes

Everyone makes this point but there is a key difference and though Jota fluffed several he also got the winner.

2 Likes

Yeah, make that into A Fistful of Dollars.

1 Like

Thats the thing the Nunez that was a chaos whirlwind hasn’t been seen for a while now.

1 Like

Think we got away with that. Only some Liverpool fans and thankfully the lad on VAR would think the pull back by Virgil (idiotic) was not a penalty. If that had been us denied it or a City defender getting away with it, there would have been a meltdown. 3 points that should have been much easier but could easily have been just one…

A strange overall performance by the ref though…

Tear or Strain.

Depends on that.

Either way , not ideal.

It was a 50-50. Refs will only give a foul in a situation like that if they think the holding made a material difference to the forward’s ability to get the ball and I don’t think there is much chance Guehi gets to that ball before Ali. But you grab someone’s arm like that, and the distance it comes away from his body makes it obvious to see, then you cannot complain much if the ref decides to give it.

3 Likes