Post match: Palace vs Liverpool (EPL 5/10/24 12.30pm)

If it is a tear, it will be the months @RedArmada is worried about.

2 Likes

Atleast we know why Liverpool are moving ahead for Mamardahsvili.

For the best keeper in the world that Alisson still is , he does get injured often. Hope we keep Alisson still though.

1 Like

A win, three points, a clean sheet and top of the league going into the international break. We would have all taken that outcome if offered it before kick off.

Having seen the match there were some causes for concern. Jota got a goal but missed two other glorious chances. Had one of them gone in it would have been a lot more comfortable.

We played well and had a lot of control, but it was a lot closer than it should have been. Palace had a few good looks, and the referee was appalling, giving them a free kick every time one of them went over - which was clearly their strategy whenever we went near them. Hooper went along with it all game long and it looked bent to me.

Alisson is a frustration. Such a good goalie, and hopefully his hammie will be minor and he will be back in four weeks, maybe a smidge less. I suppose it all depends on the scan, and then whether or not it is a strain or a tear, and then to what extent.

As we all know he does miss games, which is why we kept hold of Kelleher and also made a move to future-proof the position with Mamardashvili coming next summer. Jaros did well today when called upon. Well played that lad.

I am concerned about Nunez. I thought he should have come on today when Diaz came in, as it would have added much more energy going forward, and probably would have helped keep Palace pegged back a bit more, as the longer it went on the more they came looking for an equalizer.

We all know there are tougher tests to come. We will get a better reading on the side say, at the half way point, and we will know if the expectation is for a title challenge, or more of a top four run while Slot rebuilds it a bit.

Anyway, as for today, all is well that ends well. Three points, away from home, clean sheet, top of the league.

Job done.

2 Likes

Bar for Tsimikas, Gakpo,Jota and Alisson ( and Jaros) and Gravenburch, the rest wasn’t impressive.

For the defence, TAA’s passes were really undercooked. His set-pieces were not good as well.

As for the midfield, Jones seems to be unable to reach the levels required for this club, be it at CM or AM. Szoboszlai’s shooting was bad…Gravenburch is the only one holding it all together until January comes.

The forwards were a mixed bag. Salah looks subdued trying to be the creator and it is not helped by the people around him especially the AM. Gakpo did well today and troubled the opposition a fair bit. Jota was quite wasteful today…I wondered why Slot didn’t get Nunez on to keep the energy…

I hope Slot have a word with the AM and the forwards for the unnecessary overplaying in the final third.

I think that the international break comes at a fortuitous time for us. Slot really needs to analyse the reasons we’re being exposed at the back so much. High risk/high gain tactics won’t work as well against quality teams, and in fact we’ll probably be punished for it.

Still, 9 out of 10 victories isn’t to be sniffed at and long may that happy trend continue.

2 Likes

The next match against Chelsea will be the main test.

2 Likes

The question Slot has to deal with may be more fundamental. I don’t think he sees the tactical choices as high risk/high gain, because they aren’t supposed to be. He is getting the game control he wants, but giving up chances anyway, and not creating them in proportion. Statistically, that game is a mess. We had 69% possession, but shots were only 16-9. Shots on target were actually in favour of Palace (4-5), and our keepers had to make more saves.

4 Likes

Nah we will smash Chelsea

2 Likes

They’ve improved. Not that it’s tough to do after the last few seasons being the shitshow for them.

But they’ve got the ability to punish us with pace.

It’s going to be a lot tighter this time around.

2 Likes

Also any reason why only 2 choices are there for the poll @mascot ?

4 Likes

Well we know Coote basically plays Sims or something when he is on VAR.

2 Likes

10 Likes
2 Likes

Our players are wrestled to the ground week in, week out. I don’t even register it as unusual any more.

5 Likes

Under Klopp that last 5 and stoppage time wouldve been end to end.
Under Slot we slow it down (Trent took a minute to take a throw) and just keep the ball.
The 6 mins of injury time was a breeze when previous seasons theyd be nail biting.

4 Likes

The revisionism is unreal.

14 Likes

Given that we had a very inexperienced keeper on, I thought Slot handled the tactics perfectly. Keep it slow and simple.

7 Likes

Its unbelievable.

1 Like

I know the TNT numpties were making a big deal of it but if its given you are 5 or 6 game counting the holding going on at corners.

2 Likes