Post match: Rangers v Liverpool (UCL 13/10/22 8pm)

Klopp, please keep Mo central for the season

That is all.

2 Likes

Yeah must have been something to do with the positioning of the camera, I noticed it on their run last season which was entertaining, something not quite there that was there last season. Maybe itā€™s the step up.

2 Likes

There were times tonight in the second half were we started to display the utter scintilisiation that hallmarked our recent (last season) demolition of teams. Good stuff.

2 Likes

Them pricks jumping around celebrating their first CL goal in years.

2 Likes

12 years which sounds impressive but then you realise itā€™s been 12 years since they played in it.

2 Likes

Steve ā€œwell thatā€™s okā€ Mcmanaman

I read that in his voice.

1 Like

That wasnā€™t them.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, I keep forgetting that.

Steve " Of Course" Mcmanaman

2 Likes

Hopefully tonights goals will give the team a bit of confidence for the game on Sunday

2 Likes

Fuck yes! We really needed that going into the City match. Hopefully itā€™s not a Bournemouth false hope scenario. Konate and Joe excellent from the back line. Midfield did its job. I thought all of our forwards were excellent tonight, especially Harvey. He was magnificent! And Mo!!! I hear everyone saying he should be more central. The problem is we also have Nunez. How do we accommodate both and make it work? Iā€™m sure there is a way and believe Klopp will work it out.

I thought Moā€™s reaction to his first 2 goals was interestingā€¦.very subdued, especially having broken the CL scoring record for a PL player. He reacted like heā€™s already been promised in a swap deal with Mbappe or something ! Iā€™m sure he was just not happy to be benched and frustrated with the season to date. Whatever it takes to have him scoring like that!

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit of a random stat to be celebrating. Did he even know heā€™d got the record for most CL goals excluding players from other clubs with more CL goalsā€¦

5 Likes

Yeah I have no idea. Not a meaningless record though.

Very satisfying.

Finding the balance up top is going to be difficult. Mo scores a hat-trick coming inside. Where does that leave Darwin Nunez? Persist with the 4231 with Nunez the spearhead, but have Mo play closer to the middle, but still on the right of the three - most would say he has been too wide, and isolated, all season.

Or would you go Elliott on the right of the three, Mo up top? And then Nunez on the bench?

Or could Nunez start from the left and use his pace as an outlet there?

Jota is a real footballer and showed that with his assists when he came on, so he is making a case for himself. And Bobby has been our best striker this season, and proved the difference tonight when the game was still being contested.

Itā€™s a tricky one to solve. Even with Diaz injured, we have options and as things stand, the clear and preferred option for the front three or four hasnā€™t yet made itself known.

3 Likes

It was actually nice to see. I recall reading somewhere that Mo had taken Elliott under his wing when he joined. I guess in moments like that you are as proud of them as your own children.

6 Likes

Playing centrally instead of on the touch line definitely helped. He looked like scoring with every attack.

1 Like

By the sounds of it, the whole intention was always to have Salah cut in, heā€™s just not been doing it well lately. JĆ¼rgen has talked a lot in interviews about how Salah needs to come in narrower.

1 Like

Overall, a good but not great performance, the final score line puts a bit of lipstick on the pig.

The good was obvious:
Away win in CL, and now very close to qualification for the knockout stages
Bobby Firmino in great form, and should be undroppable for the weekend. Loved the cheeky assist for Darwin
Moā€™s 6 minute hat-trick to restore confidence, and to show that we really need to get him playing more centrally
Darwin in the goals again
Another good performance from Harvey Elliott
Good minutes for both Konate and Gomez, both are going to be up against it at the weekend, so getting minutes together and playing well a major positive
The return of Andy Andy Robertson
NO INJURIES

But, there was also:
Conceding the first goal, yet again. And again, far too easily.
Overall play in the first half was just so-so in my opinion
Kostas, aside from the corner for Bobbyā€™s first goal, wasnā€™t great. And so, just in time for Robbo to be back.
Fabinho still looks quite off the pace

When are we going to actually come out of the gates in a game breathing fire like we used to?
If ever there was the time for a return to form, this weekend vs City is the time.

Will be very interesting to see how we line up against City. I donā€™t think a 2 man midfield will hold up against them, and I think that Bobby has to start, and we need Mo to be either up front or more central on the right.

Perhaps:
Ali
Gomez Konate Virgil Robbo
Harvey Hendo Thiago
Salah Bobby Jota

Darwin off the bench

2 Likes