Post match: Rangers v Liverpool (UCL 13/10/22 8pm)

Precisely this. What Salah has to do to score goals from that starting position is very much like a dance. If his dance partner is constantly looking to hit the same goal scoring spaces Mo like to target then it limits his ability to make those out to in runs. This was an open question before the season started, and is precisely what we’ve seen from Mo too much this season, and also what Klopp has complained about. What confuses the issue is Nunez hasnt played that much and the issues have occurred even without him playing.

11-0 against Stromsgodset in 1974
10-0 against Dundalk in 1969
10-1 against Oulun Palloseura in 1980
8-0 vs. Bestikas (H) – 2007
7-0 vs. Spartak Moscow (H) – 2017
7-0 vs. Maribor (A) – 2017
7-1 vs. Rangers (A) – 2022

6 Likes

I’d agree, if both were fully fit, but it looked like Robertson hadn’t quite been up to his standard leading up to the injury, which is why in my opinion there wasn’t much between them.

1 Like

The game against city will show what this game was. But for now, I enjoyed it a lot and kept smiling in the second half (first half we were very weak though). I celebrated a bit yesterday night and had a great night.

Today, I am no longer celebrating and view the game with caution. Every other very positive game so far this season has been a truly false dawn, so it is up to the team to show they can be relatively competative against City, I still expect City to beat us, but if we play really well, we should be competative enough to stave off a big defeat and perhaps score a couple of goals. That’s all I am asking, for Liverpool to play really well against them, I don’t expect us to beat them.
But West Ham and Forest we really, really need to beat, so crossing fingers, this can kickstart us ? I hope so.

1 Like

I was thinking the same. Good point.

@admins , I made a mistake and found myself on the wrong thread. Can you move the post above, please ? If I delete, which I have done once before when I made the same mistake, I can’t post it again due to this site’s spam filter.

Nevermind, I deleted it since it wasn’t amongst the most important of updates.

I guessed they missed the game, then? How sad.

1 Like

The question for us to resolve is how to play both of them together, whether that is as part of a three or a four up front.

My hope is Nunez continues as the spearhead, and Mo plays on the right of the three behind, but comes in a bit more towards the middle.

3 Likes

This is the way

This is where Trent would be needed to provide the width, but the way he plays requires a midfielder to cover him and the press strong enough to stop the long diagonal passes through the channel left behind. Whether we can do that with two midfielders itself is the question.

Seems Bobby in the middle allowed Mo more space as Bobby used to drop back, but I don’t think Nunez would play that way at all.

2 Likes

:angry:

It’s going to be a tough conundrum to solve, and I think ultimately it will need a Kone or Caceido in the midfield, to cover enough ground so everyone else can do their job without us getting hit in behind too much.

Trent offers an outlet on the right and starts to drop crosses and lovely passes into Nunez. Mo plays in the three behind Nunez, but comes inside a bit more than he has been doing, so he brings more of a goalscoring threat. An athletic midfielder (Tchouameni would have been ace, next we might be looking at Kone or Caceido, that sort of player) plays on the right of the two in the 4231, and helps knit it all together and offers enough pace and pressing to keep the opposition in check while our attacking weapons kill them.

Diaz plays on the left of the three, and Bobby gets the nod in the middle of three, and obviously we have Jota and Carvalho to rotate into the front four too.

1 Like

Alisson
Trent Konate Van Dijk Robbo
Fabinho
Hendo Thiago
Firmino
Salah Nunez

Diamonds are forever.

2 Likes

Agree with your point. I thought Tsimi should have taken Robbo’s spot based on the performances I saw from Robbo since the start of the season.
However, like @Walshy07 and @Mascot mentioned, there is a noticeable difference in overall quality between Robbo and Tsimi, and for me this has also become evident as Tsimi has started more games. I can understand now why JK persisted with Robbo, although at the time I thought he should have been benched. Perhaps Tsimi’s biggest impact is at a time when the opposition are tiring. Regardless, we are lucky to have two brilliant players for the position and the Trade Marked Greek Scouser.

3 Likes

I like it, but I want Diaz in there too!

Alisson
Trent Konate VVD Robbo
Fabinho Thiago
Mo Bobby Diaz
Nunez

But Fabinho susceptible to being replaced with a better athlete, who is not here yet.

Does anyone remember what it feels like to score first?

1 Like

Bournemouth?

2 Likes

Why would we do a silly thing like that?

This is what seems best at the present given Diaz is out, but it is the same formation we have been using for years now. It’s just Mane is replaced with Nunez/ Jota/ Diaz. That’s 3 players for one position and if we try to move Bobby out for any of them it results in Salah not getting enough involved in the game. Ultimately looks like some of them will have to adjust their natural game and style, whether we continue with the earlier formation or not.

1 Like

Yes but it was a very long time ago in a nightclub in Wigan.

1 Like