Post Match: Spurs, Hooper, VAR, PL v Liverpool (EPL 30/9/23 5.30pm)

Post deleted

Wow Maria! Never seen you this way before…

Udogie was overly physical all game long, as a compare/contrast to Liverpool seeing two reds. Strong in the tackle and good defending, and I could live with that if it was evenly applied to both sides. But Udogie came from behind Gakpo, slid in on the blindside, got his knee on our man’s ankle, and injured both Gakpos ankle and knee in the process.

It was a very dangerous tackle that will put our man out for a while.

On our end Jones saw red for that? What a joke. It was a medium force tackle, on the ball, his foot rolled over the ball and caught Bissouma. Yellow seemed fair enough. The fact that VAR intervened seemed misplaced, as the ref dealt with it fine. But the VAR wanted blood, and the image they showed to the ref skewed perception of the incident, as it showed it at its very worst, when in real time it wasn’t so bad.

I can go on and on. Gomez should have had a penalty. Right through him from behind, didn’t touch the ball. Not given.

Jota’s second yellow was deserved, although there were two fouls on him leading up to it, one from our friend Udogie, who was very forceful all game long. Jota lunged back in for the ball after getting fouled, and a yellow was justified. His first yellow was a disgrace, as Udogie tripped himself and went over, and Hooper was happy to oblige.

Mo Salah was in on goal, or a simple squared ball for a goal, and a foul was called on him when he took the ball from the defender, who as a last ditch effort, went to ground to con the ref, who duly obliged.

And of course the Díaz goal. And the officials working for Man City’s owners (same country, but the brother of we want to get technical) in a massive conflict of interest.

I could not be more proud of our team.

We need to go after the PGMOL hard, and litigate, and bring all this stuff into play. Ideally the whole thing is disbanded and a new mechanism for refereeing is brought into play.

There’s so much money in the Prem that it could cherry pick the best refs from around Europe, and even the world, to come in and do their thing.

The lengthy Tomkins piece reveals issues of bias with some refs, and Liverpool are on the short end of it, quite possibly to the tune of two titles going up in smoke (to say nothing of Man Citys cheating).

International refs would come in and do the game in front of them, with no particular feel for the social pressure of what part of England they are from, or living in at the time, etc.

Disband the PGMOL. Make the refereeing an international affair, like the league is.

But still go after the conflict of interest stuff, because with our match officials going to the home of the owners of Man City for paid work, it doesn’t look right. Dig into that. How much were they paid? Hammer that message home, and while we are on it, keep the pressure up by publicly saying we are waiting for an outcome to the charges on Man City, as the integrity of the game is of paramount importance.

5 Likes

Liverpool have been fined by the FA for ill-discipline in their loss to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

ÂŁ25k fine apparently for receiving 8 yellow cards :grin:

PS - the one comment I’ve not seen anyone make, and I understand it, as other events took over, was Mickey Van de Ven.

We were linked over the summer. Images came out of him being at Anfield with his dad. It looked for a while that a deal would be done. We all saw that clip where he ran so fast too.

Then… no signing.

We did a fantastic job renewing the midfield, and most of us thought we would get one central defender too. We saw a few names all summer, but nothing materialized.

Anyway, purely on the football and not the dubious officiating, Van de Ven looked very good. Big, strong, very fast indeed. Left footed. Whenever it looked like one of our strikers was going to put a run on him, he had it. (It would have been interesting to see if Nunez would have got more change out of him).

There’s plenty more fish in the sea, and like all reds I’m pleased to see Quansah’s progress, and we know we will refresh the defense in due course, as Klopp 2.0 finishes it’s rebuild.

With all that said, on first looks, Van de Ven looked like a player we could do with, as Matip phases out.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a red. I think it’s a yellow card, but @Barnestormer is right - you see them given.

The problem for me is the application of VAR. this is one of those situations where the ref could give a yellow and there would be no grounds for VAR to say that’s a clear error. And the ref could give a red and there would be no grounds for VAR to say it’s a clear error.

The issue that VAR intervened against the protocol. It wasn’t a clear error.

Having decided to send Hooper to the screen, England then shows him a long lingering still image of the result of the tackle rather than the footage of the tackle itself. Against against protocol. He is trying to lead the decision making.

This is why I don’t think it’s a fuck up. I think it’s deliberate.

11 Likes

That’s Hooper and England’s bonus sorted then

Sorry, mate, but that seems a bit naive to me. Whoever comes in to referee the Premier League will be told what the agenda is.

6 Likes

Absolutely. Not lost on me that England was involved in 2 massive decisions, possibly more across the game.

Should he have intervened on the Gomez incident?

Shit knows how you prove it though.

5 Likes

Lets for a minute think that the Jones red card “could” be given…

I fundamentally disagree that it merited red, but for the sake of argument…
Would Bruno, or Madison, or Saka, or Joelinton get a red in that situation?? I genuinely don’t think so.

Eddie Nketiah went in studs upon the Spurs keeper last week, from a distance in a dangerous manner. Yellow card.

Curtis Jones rolls over the ball in an innocuous challenge, upgrade to red.

I hope Liverpool wade in majorly on these cheating cunts.

2 Likes

Spurs fans seem more interested in that hand ball in the CL final which was a handball, because it didn’t hit his hand doesn’t mean it wasn’t handball.

2 Likes

Thats just pathetic.
Do they remember Harry Kane not getting a red for assaullt on Robbo?

Silly fuckers

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1708835558175150441

12 Likes

Shit is going down now. This is going to be wild.

5 Likes

Can’t see it being rescinded.

It should be, but imagine them admitting to TWO serious mistakes in the same match?

2 Likes

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

3 Likes

We should also appeal the Jota one, just to make a point.

Animated GIF

4 Likes

I wonder if they will go with this on the basis that it might stop us pushing for their UAE joints to be stopped?

Realistically with this, they should do as it would appear that VAR protocol wasn’t followed. It possibly depends on what is in Hoopers report.

1 Like

Might not be fair on Spurs, but as a precedent, the powers that be, should offer to replay the game. Preferably at the end of the season

2 Likes

That’s what I was wondering too.

What was the clear and obvious error (with apologies to @Limiescouse if this isn’t the standard they’re following anymore) that would lead the referee to upgrade that from a yellow to a red?

1 Like