Post Match: Villa v Liverpool (EPL 26/12/22 5.30pm)

I understand there were some very nervous people before kick off but some of the reactions to Villa having shots have been a bit OTT. Sure we didn’t play perfectly, I’d like to see us have a bit more energy and get out to crossers a bit quicker… other than that it was fine. We scored three goals and only had one or two shaky moments. The goal we did concede ended up being a fucking great header (which happens, other teams will do good things from time to time).

Henderson looked really good. Nunez was a terror. Robbo was impressive on the ball. We were fine. Good win, 3 on the bounce in the league now including two away wins.

Also Bajcetic scored a really good goal - seems to have almost gone under the radar! Good on you young man.

7 Likes

It was a 20 minute spell that Klopp sorted by bringing on the subs.

Truth is they/we really could and should have been 4 down at half time.

And if I’m honest I was surprised with how dominate we are.

1 Like

This cannot be said enough.

So while we cannot be too critical over Villa having that period after half time, the nature of the goal was bad. It was a great header, but as I said about the Halaand goal the previous game, at this level strikers shouldnt have that clear a header having done so little to earn it. When we were at our best during the past 4 years it was often less because we exerted control over games, and more because we played the big moments better than the other side did. We have lost that ruthlessness and far too often find ourselves having to account for the other side getting something out of a game that we gave them. We wont go on another extended winning run until we can sort that out.

Although if it had been Gomez rather than Matip who got caught flat footed under the cross and allowed Watkins to head it unchallenged, we’d never hear the end of it.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the moment when inevitably Konaté finds himself at the end of one of those situations.

The mental gymnastics some will resort to to protect their flavour of the month or slag off their current scapegoat is no longer surprising, sadly.

1 Like

And Trent gets the usual get out of jail free pass.
That boys defensive awareness is fucking awful.
No wonder he didn’t get a look in at the World Cup.

In fairness he equally didn’t put a cross in for Harry to score.

On what basis? It wasn’t his guy. The defender whose guy it was didn’t have anyone else to deal with. His starting position (the correct one) was a good distance from him getting goalside in time to make a challenge.

2 Likes

Agreed. The goal was Matip’s fault all day. Watkins was his man. He got caught under the ball, and allowed Watkins to head the ball unchallenged.

But that’s OK. As Klopp would say, it’s just a goal. They happen, and it’s usually a mistake that causes it. Joel is still a great footballer.

My problem is with the agendas some have against individual players. Calling out their mistakes, but ignoring similar ones in others.

When Joe Gomez came on for Trent, the pre-match was full of the predicable hysterics. But it was the right sub and the right player. Trent was struggling and we needed a more defensively solid player to stifle the attacks. Then it’s Joe’s wonderful first time lofted pass to Nunez that leads to the goal.

4 Likes

The pass was sublime

2 Likes

I thought it was fairly obvious that Matip got caught under the ball. For a player of his calibre that shouldn’t happen. But they deserved a goal, but the goal they got they didn’t have to work particularly hard for.

Also, the clearance from TAA. He covered well but I don’t know why he didn’t go with his left foot. It would have sent the ball down field. Going with his right it kept the ball in a dangerous area.

And that happened twice with the header that Watkins missed in the 1st half and I mentioned in the in game chat. We just seem to be in a good defensive position then lose the man we are marking a d it is happening too regularly atm. However, apart from those 2 occassions Joel was very good.

Yet on the goal Haaland scored Gomez was closer to Haaland than Matip was to Watkins, Haaland reacted faster and his long leg got their 1st, yes Joe should have been more proactive reacting to the ball but his positioning wasn’t wrong, whereas Joel lost Watkins twice resulting in 2 free headers

He could definitely have helped by putting a challenge in but was never in a position to really win it, but by attempting to compete he could have put Watkins off

With TAA being a touch weak in the air when facing deep crosses coming toward him, I wonder if it ever comes into Alissons thinking to come off his line to punch the ball away sometimes :man_shrugging:

Which is his fault given that clearly isn’t his guy and that guy is running into Virgil’s space. That Matip got his focus distracted doesn’t make it Trent’s fault. Trent was in the right place to deal with the deeper ball and to get out to Digne on the edge of the box. You always want your defenders to be mindful of being able to cover for someone else, but there is only so far that can go, especially when a play develops as quickly as that did (one simple 15 yard pass).

Edit: I tried to take a screen grab of the start positions but all my screengrab apps produce blank screens when capturing PL content from YoutubeTV or peacock? Has anyone experienced that and/or found a way around it?

2 Likes

Villa’s main attacking threat on crosses is Watkins, therefore Joel should be aware of this and stayed with him, but as you say he had his back to him, i.e lost him. Yes there was a 2nd runner but you have to make an educated decision who to mark and he marked neither, but with Watkins being their target man Joel should have made him the priority.

All this said I do wish we had more urgency or tactical setup to stop the cross coming in in the 1st place

Wild. What tool did you use and what footage? I tried the inbuilt Window Snip tool and my preferred Techsmith Capture (formerly Jing) and as soon as I complete the capture the image turns black. It does it with YoutubeTV footage and Peacock.

Unfortunately their are several in the Pre game chat that talk shit the whole time and also there are also many that, for me are clickbait merchants wanting likes for having a go at the ‘easy target’ then are completely stum when another player makes the same mistake. It is being relatively level headed when posting in the in game chat that I respect, although it does always come down to opinion.

2 Likes

Really weird as I though Joel had an excellent game but made 2 mistakes which could have cost us more dearly, and when you think of it how many player make only 2 mistakes, everyone of them?