Post Match: Villa v Liverpool (EPL 4/10/20 7.15pm)

Don’t agree. 7 doesn’t flatter them, could have been more. Sure 3 were deflected goals but that win was emphatic. I know you are a fan of Gomez, and I agree he got no protection from the engine room but he was all over the place from the word go in that game. He’s incredibly inconsistent going form looking like a world beater one game to very very average the next.

5 Likes

5 Likes

This is your finest idea. I bet you blow by all the Dark Side of the Moon records.

Atleast that comment made me laugh when you are boiling inside… Terrible defending mate… His attitude is what irritates me the most… Look at Robbo against Arsenal… Just gave it all and score at the other end… He was just having the ball in the middle of the pitch and dreaming…All short passes, terrible marking, terrible reading of the game, no closing in… Just keep jogging back and let the runner pass and try chasing. He thinks he is Usain Bolt but he is nothing better than Bramble.

We deserve every bit of shit about to be flung our way.

And like all real champions, I have no doubt we will respond.

7 Likes

Any words from the boss yet?

I don’t care what the boys say publicly, having Adrian behind them makes them chaotic. It is what it is, and whether we like it or not he will be playing for the next month (at least) while Ali heals. So we better learn to like it.

Adrian is a Liverpool player so I will support him while he wears the shirt but I’ve never been a big fan. He is an arrogant sort and rarely accepts any accountability for mistakes. In his own mind he’s a legend.

7 Likes

Unacceptable with how the team played tonight. We’ve been exposed for a while now since last season. They’ve loss the edge and sharpness. They’ve been playing too fancy and one dimension. Our D line needs a complete fix. VVD is too casual sometimes, and our Full backs are always out of position to attack. Our midfield needs to do a better job protecting our D. At this point I would put Fab at CB and Hendo as our No.6. Take Bobby out to and he needs to earn his spot back. Put Jota with Mane and Mo, and maybe Taki in mid for link up play.
Something needs to be done but at the same time don’t expect a wholesale change cuz it doesn’t happen overnight. We were due for a lop sided game against us, and hopefully this is a genuine wakeup call for the lads

YNWA

1 Like

The s is at the wrong end.

2 Likes

Well, that wasn’t our greatest night, was it?

We weren’t particularly good. We kept giving the ball in the midfield, and we kept getting caught out of position.

But put it into perspective. They scored three deflected goals. Three! I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. And we gifted them another.

We didn’t deserve to win. But it was a weird match.

2 Likes

Here’s the footage from his on field presser.

6 Likes

The last time villa battered us they got relegated,fingers crossed.

8 Likes

That was the worst defensive performance by a Liverpool team in the PL era. And not just any Liverpool team, but the reigning champions and one of the best teams we’ve ever had.

Is the entire team is coming down with Covid? I really can’t come up with any other plausible reason for what has just happened. Yes the high line is risky and yes Adrian is a liability and Gomez and Fabinho have been poor and Firmino needs to be dropped but this bad from the entire team?

What the hell is going on here?

3 Likes

Indeed, they had many more extremely dangerous chances, in my opinion it is sticking ones head in the sand to think that they were lucky. They could have scored 10.

1 Like

We’ve tweaked the line too much. Last two years, we’ve played high lines, but never this far up. We got a good phase where we balanced between high line at times, and at times dropping a bit back. Often within the same match too.

But since the covid restart, we’ve tweaked it up a notch. Gomez and Virgil been on good form to snuff out a lot of the danger in many games, but everything went wrong in this match.

Playing this high is okay IF we have a Fab, Gini and Jordan midfield, a well oiled set-up. But with Keita in there, we lose the defensive positioning completely, and really we should adjust our play to suit the players. Usually Gini would cover left, and Jordan cover right, with Fab sweeping duties.

1 Like

I’ve run out of likes for the first time.

Rest assured I think you’re all great and making perfect sense.

2 Likes

Nowt we can do we have the most injury prone goalie in the league. 18 missed games for him if you count Everton in his time here would have been more if not for suspension of league he had hip injury then which had no time scale on his return.

1 Like

Classic (and insightful) early season post
I figure you are completely right on this
When we hit six I remembered that god awful game. It was shameful given it was Stevie G’s last one.

2 Likes

The high line is the foundation of the entire approach. We play in a way that does leave us exposed if it goes wrong, and today it did. What was more disappointing and confusing than the initial problems was the complete lack of response and adaptation to what was going wrong. That has been a strength of this side, the ability of the players to figure out the solutions that are needed on the pitch in any situation, and today it was just completely lacking as we just kept doing the same things over and over again. Maybe it’s Trent specifically taking 10 minutes to drop in closer to Gomez. Maybe it’s the entire side dropping 10 yards deeper so we’re not as easy to bypass. We go down early, we dont need to win the game by the 20th minute. Get the game back under control and then move back through the gears to try to get back into a winning position.

Maybe it’s arrogance of believing so much in the system that made us not do that, and maybe it is our commitment to that idea that is why we’ve averaged 98 points for the last 2 seasons. So maybe today is just the flip side of that mentality. I dont know, but I know a system that relies on the collective is suicide when there are so many players a step too slow for the whole day.

12 Likes

It was a dreadful performance. I’m happy to have that conversation. But I feel sorry for him that every attack is in his direction, Trent is nowhere to be fucking seen, and the midfield is just waving Villa through.

Put it this way. He got hooked and nothing changed. Nothing. If it was the car crash performance that many were suggesting in the pre-match, he comes off, Fab drops back, everything tightens and we steady the ship.

Gomez or no Gomez we we ripped open, over and over again. That suggests we are dealing with a collective/systemic issue rather than a poor performance.

14 Likes