Post match: WBA v Liverpool (EPL 16/05/21 16:30)

• Alisson
  • Trent
  • Nat
  • Rhys
  • Robbo
  • Fab
  • Thiago
  • Curtis
  • Sadio
  • Mo
  • Bobby
  • Shaq
  • Gini

0 voters

Never in doubt.

Two changes for the Tricky Reds today, with Gini being replaced by Jones in midfield and stroppy Sadio being reinstated up front, with Jota being ruled out for what’s left of this wretched season with a foot injury.

A dreary opening from both teams, with the Reds inexplicably playing hoofball, and neither goalkeeper having to do much. Then, on the quarter hour mark, Hal Robson-Kanu capitalised on poor positional play by Williams and slotted tidily into the far corner past Alisson.

Sadio spurned a superb chance to equalise soon afterwards, shooting wide when unmarked six yards out, but the Reds were back on terms shortly after the half hour, as Mo finished brilliantly first-time after Sadio’s pass. A quite exquisite finish.

Bobby, who was captain for the day, then missed a glorious chance to make it 2-1; it’s a cliché but it really did look easier to score than to miss.

The only other notable feature of the first half was the appalling arbitration. Mike Dean allowed unlimited niggling from the home side, letting several bookable offences go without any action being taken, while our players were barely allowed to even look in West Brom’s direction without a foul being awarded.

As the players trudged off for their halftime oranges, it was a familiar story: we had been the better side but a defensive error allowed our opponents to score and we had wasted chances.

The second stanza started with the visitors again dominating possession but not really creating much. Salah saw a shot saved by Johnstone and Sadio had a close-range effort rightfully disallowed for offside.

At the other end, West Brom didn’t offer much but thought they had taken the lead when Bartley flicked home Ajayi’s knock-down from a corner; the goal was disallowed, possibly because one of their players was standing right in front of Alisson, but we were lucky to get away with that.

Towards the end, Trent cut inside from the right but blazed over; Thiago drew a fingertip save from Johnstone. Wijnaldum, who had only just come on as a sub, steered a shot narrowly wide as we entered stoppage time. Thiago had a drive blocked by the massed ranks of the home defence.

And then the most unexpected of climaxes. Deep into stoppage time, Alisson came up for a corner and thumped home Trent’s excellent delivery with a few seconds left on the clock. 2-1 to the good guys.

Next up is the short trip to Burnley on Wednesday night; three points really is essential now if we are to have any chance whatsoever of grabbing fourth spot.

MOTM: Those good people at Stobi vineyard in North Macedonia. Yes, you read that right. The region produces some excellent wines and they represent terrific value; try their Vranec 2019 Tikves, which is available for a bargain nine quid.

14 Likes

Wonderful goal by Alisson. Deserved. Take that. Two big more games to end the season.

7 Likes

With one swing of his gifted header, Alisson Becker says Champions league football, here we come! :hearts:

8 Likes

12 Likes

Really frustrating, really felt that was it, then I started crying and haven’t stopped!

18 Likes

I had a feeling that was going to happen.

7 Likes

Post match Ali content

16 Likes

What, that I would cry more than Alisson?

6 Likes

I still can’t believe what I’ve just witnessed, pure footballing drama. I have to admit, my celebration was delayed because I thought the useless prick, Mike Dean, was going to disallow it.
Unbelievable! We must win the last two games after that.

13 Likes

So this is my first post in a long time. I have been battling COVID and was in the ICU for a long long time. This was the first game i have watched all season and… Alisson scores a winner?

This is real life right?

90 Likes

Oh my it doesn’t get much better then that! Allison saved our bacon again!

1 Like

Shit game on the whole but what a fucking ending.

Thiago yet again the standout over the 90 - becoming one of my favourites atm. Trent and Ali great throughout as well. Robbo decent and Mo got his goal. The rest need a boot up the arse.

5 Likes

After that Newcastle farce, we regain those dropped points.

We’re somehow I think the in form team in the league over the past few games. Two more to go

2 Likes

Hope you make a full and rapid recovery.

Just play Ali’s goal on loop; that should help your rehabilitation.

17 Likes

This is real, you couldn’t make it up :grin:

Welcome back mate, hope you’re feeling a lot better today :+1:

7 Likes

Tried to pick Alisson 3 times but couldn’t, so it’s Ali Thiago and Trent for me!

1 Like

So glad you’ve recovered. That Ali goal should go some way to lift your spirits.

4 Likes

I was CONVINCED it was going to be chalked off.

Delighted for Ali

3 Likes

Welcome back! hope a quick recovery, today should help :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In my time as a fan, I’ve missed a couple of stoppage time winners (Origi vs. Everton) because I’ve assumed we had our last chance and didn’t want to process the disappointment of the final whistle. Today I decided to watch the last corner because why not. When I saw Alisson coming forward, my first thought was that I had never seen a 'keeper come up for a corner at 1-1, but figured it was boom or bust. Absolute madness. Lesson learned – always watch to the end!

5 Likes