Post match: West Ham v Liverpool (27/4/24 12.30pm)

Maliciously incompetent

Surely the only common point between everyone is that Taylor should never referee another match?

2 Likes

i reckon weve clocked the internet mateā€¦weā€™re actually argueing on what we agreed aboutā€¦

If Areola had thrown the ball out his hands to kick it upfieldā€¦ then it bounced over Alissonā€™s head into the netā€¦ you can bet sure as shitā€¦ Taylor would have awarded the goal to WHā€¦!
He throws the ball out of his hands onto the pitch and Gakpo advancesā€¦ Referee blows for a foulā€¦! Go Figure
Last season, would never have thought it possible that Webb could be worse than Riley running the PGMOLā€¦ how wrong was I eh

1 Like

whys that?

i thought the rule was the ref has three seconds to bring it back?

keeper had the ball for well over three seconds.

im still struggling to come to terms with the whole moment, the ONLY thing i can think of is that if the keepers injured from a collision with the post, its not a drop ball as its in the box so the keeper thinks he has the right to play the ball from the ground.

but that doesnt sync with (what i assume is) the official line ā€¦

the refs run off waving play onā€¦the keeper then puts the ball on the deckā€¦

ill concede one thing, and thats the keeper is confused, as the way he spins the ball away without looking you can see he honestly thinks its his free kickā€¦if that was the case maybe he should have been booked for time wasting too?

If Areola needs treatment he puts the ball out of play. Surely thats understood. Liverpool give the ball back and play continues.

You are looking for avenues and excuses to stop you from thinking that this could be cheating?

1 Like

yep.

the lad was lucky to stay on the park from memoryā€¦ if they really wanted it reviewed properlyā€¦but then again, when even an official can hip and shoulder one of our lads, why shouldnt a random forest player be able to leap in studs upā€¦

agreed.

one coment was about the ref having to ref ā€˜in the spirit of the gameā€™ā€¦they mustve had a good laugh when they were coming up with that oneā€¦ā€˜spirit of the gameā€™???..is it in the spirit of the game to feign injury and then waste a shit load of time before arrogantly throwing the ball forward to take a ā€˜free kickā€™ (or whatever its meant to be) around 12 yards from where the incident took place?

christ on a bikeā€¦

1 Like

Because it isnā€™t.

Youā€™re arguing based on something you think, that you could easily look up to see if your understanding is correct, which it isnā€™t.

Not really, Iā€™m just interpreting what I see to try and understand why it happened the way it did.

What I donā€™t believe is that Taylor stopped the game because he wanted to cheat Liverpool.

Then we are poles apart.

Regardless of what you think of whether there was a foul, the ref believed it was a foul and indicated as such. As shown in this photo, the ref has raised his arm to shoulder height to indicate advantage. The pic also shows the goalie staying down in distress (again, whether real or faked is up to interpretation), but his condition and seeming need for attention was also recognized by Ogbona and Gapko. This demonstrates the falsity of one of the common arguments going around that the keeper showed no sign of being hurt until Taylor told him to go down in the aftermath of the fuck up
You can decide for yourself what should have happened once Areola fucked up, but it has to be framed in the context of the ref trying to force a bad advantage onto a keeper and then realizing the peril he had needlessly created.

2 Likes

Amazingly given the discourse, this perception is completely at odds with the actual assessments of their performances. This isnā€™t juts the PGMOL closing shop and telling each they have done a good job, but even the intendent review panel have deemed standards to be up this year. UEFA have responded to this by giving Premier League officials the max number of spots in the Euros this summer - Anthony and Taylor as refs, both of whom will have two PL assistants for their games, and Atwell and Coote on VAR.

It is clear that faith in the officials is at an all time low, but that isnā€™t adequately explained by assessments of their performances in the games. There are seemingly many factors contributing to the growing lack of faith, and even if some are driven by bad faith many are based in legitimate grievances. But it definitely true that the change in perception is not being tracked by overall on field performance.

Yup. Thereā€™s no point even having a conversation if your starting point is ā€œthe refs are out to cheat usā€.

And again you misinterpret or fail to understand alternative opinion.

Was never a starting point, and you know it.

We will never have a proper conversation when your starting point is believing in fair and honest referees, and unicorns.

@Quicksand Taylor turned his back and doesnā€™t see the keeper roll the ball out in front of him. He just sees the keeper having a bit of a weird moment (stretching and feeling his groin?) looking a bit dazed.

Gakpo , Areola and Taylor all looked like they had no clue what was going on. It was a shambles but i donā€™t think it was the ref cheating us. Gakpo should have stuck it in the net instead of hesitating.

Then we would have the conversation about sportsmanship.

1 Like

If he isnā€™t cheating he doesnā€™t blow his whistle and lets VAR decide. It buys him a minute, he can have the conversation and disallow the goal, if thatā€™s what is agreed. When he blows his whistle he takes VAR, common sense and objectivity out of the equation. He knows exactly what he is doing and compounds this by calling to the bench for a player that is not injured.

He has form, he has made big decisions against us before.

I am actually amazed at the hoops people are jumping through to explain this away. Sometimes the uncomfortable thought is the truth. He turns around, thinks ā€œOh fuckā€ and blows the whistle. The linoā€™s dont flag to ensure fairness in a decision, Taylor did tthe exact opposite. Which is not a rational action of an experienced official.

So why blow the whistle?
Unless your agenda is to stop the goal being scored.

My initial reaction was that he turned round to see what he thought was a weird situation of the goalkeeper putting the ball down and not trying to stop Gakpo from coming up and kicking it in the goal. In a bit of a panic he sees this weird scenario, thinks something must be wrong and stops the game - its also noticable that the body language of all the players involved suggest something weird is happening as no one on either team acted with conviction.

Now I think he saw a foul on the goalkeeper but, as the goalkeeper has the ball already, he plays on. He then runs away not expecting he has to watch the goalkeeper for a second or two. When he turns he sees Areola put the ball down then walk away, or at least hesitate, and Gakpo awkwardly running up to him. At this point heā€™s probably thinking ā€œWTF is the GK doing?ā€ and stops the game because he played advantage and that advantage appeared to him to be lost immediately.

The question for me is two fold on once the referee sees the goalkeeper ignoring the ball on the ground should he stop the game? Iā€™m not sure of the answer but Iā€™m also not surprised by it. Iā€™ve played in games where the referee has stopped the game for weird situations happening, usually with both sides agreeing that ā€œnot sure what happened there but it doesnā€™t look rightā€. Maybe thats not the way to deal with situations at the top level of the game, when we have video replay to clarify things, but Iā€™m not shocked that something instinctual would kick in and tell the referee to stop the game as something went wrong.

Second question would be what the frig was Areola thinking? He got what looks like a minor knock and decides to just drop the ball in front of his goal and walk away? He surely could not be certain that would work out well for him. Why not just keep hold of the ball and ask for assistance? Weird goalkeeping.

Finally I understand the anger at the situation, its certainly not clear what exactly happened and people will focus on different parts of the incident. I do think there are easier ways for a referee to cheat a team out of goals/points than waiting until the opposition goalkeeper drops a ball infront of the goal - while you as the referee are not looking - then turn around and, in a split second, decide to stop the game. I mean if thatā€™s the conspiracy why not just find a bogus red card to award or rule put the second goal because of pushing and shoving in the penalty area? Itā€™s a bit convulted to be a convincing part of a refereeing conspiracy.

Bad refereeing, as per usual, and weird behaviour by the West Ham goalkeeper. Not a part of a conspiracy to withold the win from us though.

3 Likes

There is no conspiracy.
There is an agenda by certain officials regarding Liverpool and Taylor is one of those officials.

He has made less obvious and costly decisions against Liverpool in the past. And his decision on Saturday nailed shut any remote hopes of winning the league.
And yes, our drop in form is a major contributor.

Like you, I played in matches where weird decisions were made, of course. But not at this level where the top officials operate.

There are so many ready made excuses and reasons for this that simply donā€™t add up.
And thats not a conspiracy theory, thats stating the obvious.

Edit.
If he is playing advantage for a presumed foulā€¦why does he run and not keep an eye on the developing play, as in ensuring advantage is maintained?

1 Like

You have no idea then about advantage and are making it up

1 Like