Pre- and In-Match - Arsenal v Liverpool - EPL - Sunday Oct 9 @ 16:30 GMT @ Emirates

Trent also said it was 442. Looked more like a 4231 to me.

Or maybe formations are meaningless once players start running about

2 Likes

Definitely a case of that. The whole notation system seems to think that real football operates in the same manner as a table football game with the players somehow suspended from fixed poles.

3 Likes

He always calls it 4-4-2. Rarely but sometimes also 4-4-1-1. Nothing special of a difference. Fans use 4-2-3-1, perhaps a lot of people are alergic on hearing 4-4-2.

3 Likes

Side note, these two posts grouped together amused me greatly.

Wouldn’t mind seeing the trusted christmas tree 4321 formation but in reverse order.

Alisson
Virgil
Matip Ibou
Hendo Fab Thiago
Salah Nunez Jota Diaz

If you ask me, this would surprise Arsenal and give them a thing or 2 to think about.

The Reverse Christmas Tree?

Kinky.

2 Likes

It’s a real thing, google said so itself.

Maybe, actually probably.

But spare a thought for the poor armchair pundits who will be rendered impotent by their inability to tell all and sundry about double pivots and inverted nines and maybe even the infamous decoy runs.
Whatever will those poor souls do?

1 Like

And all of our players as well.

I also think the 604 formation could work out well, would give us that much needed stability at the back as well as having enough bodies up top to cause problems.

Or maybe we could reinvent a new formation, the 4X2-5. Has a pretty cool ring to it.

I think you invent something new.

Sunday sounds so far away :pensive:

1 Like

So how does Friday sound?

Matip already played 2 games this week so we’ll see if maybe Konate comes in for this one. There were one or two instances when Matip played 3 games in a week last season, but usually it’s one to always consider rotating him.

Question do we keep the 4-4-1-1 or go back to 4-3-3.

Whatever happens out of those two, Nunez probably gets dropped. Jota probably starts if we go front 4, Firmino probably if we go back to front 3. I like the fact that Jota is back fit, missed him at the start of the season. Want him to compete now for all 3 (or 4) forward roles, put people under pressure.

Alisson
Trent Konate vDijk Tsimikas
Henderson Thiago
Salah Firmino Diaz
Jota

Subs: Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Milner, Arthur, Elliott, Carvalho, Nunez.

Or…

Alisson
Henderson Fabinho Thiago
Salah Firmino Diaz

Subs: Kelleher, Matip, Gomez, Milner, Arthur, Elliott, Carvalho, Jota, Nunez.

1 Like

Alisson
Jota Fabinho Thiago Diaz
Salah Darwin

1 Like

Opportunity for a statement win if we manage 3 points at the Emirates. Almost feels like a must win game from a confidence/belief standpoint as well as the table. I feel we need 4 points from Arsenal and City matches.

2 Likes

It’s times like these I miss Cardiffpete’s posts, from the old TIA forum…
He’d go on about how it’s morphing from one to the other, and who occupies the first 4 (Vvd, Matip, Thiago and Henderson), who occupies the middle 4 (Trent with Salah, Tsimi with Diaz, with either side’s pairs exchanging width and inverted wing positions), and that the 2 would be Jota-Nunez.
He’d then go on to explain how this morphs to a 4-2-3-1 by having Jota drop deeper, fullbacks retreating and double pivot advancing when not with the ball (and not when under counterattack) and stuff like that.

Wonder what happened to him…

P.S. Meanwhile, my hometown team is up 1-0 vs Utd in Europa League at Half Time…

8 Likes

Come on, throw us a party :partying_face:

2 Likes

Surely youve already suffered with that in this seasons infancy?!

A midfield 4 of Elliot, Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago. With Diaz and Salah up front and Konate to partner Virgil.

1 Like