Pre- and In-Match | Liverpool v Aston Villa | PL Match Day 16 | Saturday 11th December 15:00h | Anfield

I definitely agree that Henderson is the better player and that he should start the Villa game. My point was, first, that he cannot play every game (IMO the fact that he played three games last week negatively affected his performance at Wolves), and second, that Ox provides a distinctively different threat to the opposition in comparison to our other midfield players, Hendo included. Thus, he could be more suitable to unlock defences of certain teams. Besides, Ox is in a very good run of form lately and starting him would not necessarily mean that the performance levels will drop significantly.

1 Like

Smash them. They’re shit.

14 Likes

Smash Stevie. He’ll learn from it.

6 Likes

Same here , and I was amazed at just how furious Villa’s pressing game was. ( Gerrard had clearly given 'em a rocket at HT.)

I hope they try that with us , we’ll pass it around them and cut them to pieces.

3-0 to the mighty Reds.

3 Likes

That’s it!

Any injuries news?

Can’t see many changes for this.
Stevie will have Villa fired up but at the end of the day we will prevail,but not expecting a walk in the park.
Fixtures against us are the only ones I hope Stevie loses.

If you aren’t posting your midfield as Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago… You crazy!

All three were rested to show Stevie he is a legend but from the past not our present!

10 Likes

I’m assuming that Klopp will be picking a full strength side for this given the players rested midweek. I’m just curious as to whether Origi has done enough to earn a starters berth. He’s done really well in his last couple of games but I still think of him as an impact substitution rather than one for the long haul.

… and another 3pm kick off. I rather like the civility of these but I’m surprised that the TV didn’t pick up on this fixture with Gerard returning to Anfield. Or had they already decided on their fixtures before he became Villa boss?

2 Likes

Not yet I think. I think he’s done enough to show that he warrants more minutes, e.g. being the first sub as he was against Wolves, but I’m not sure he would be risked here. Against a lesser team like Everton maybe, but considering that Villa are pretty much in form, it’s quite a tough shout. We’ll probably go more conservative in this one, with last week’s lineup to start again.

3 Likes

I do not think Origi will start this one (I would bet on the same starting XI as against Wolves and Everton), but he might start the next league game against Newcastle. I think Klopp will make 3-5 changes in the starting XI against Newcastle in order to keep some players fresh for the Spurs clash three days later. But for Villa, the front three of Mo, Mane and Jota are nailed on I believe.

2 Likes

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel, formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Probably too late same with the Man Utd Ralf fixture not being on TV.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Team picks itself, although this time it’s on merit rather than being down to the bones.

Only concern is Attwell who saw nothing wrong with Cresswell’s assault on Henderson a few weeks ago. He’s a cheat, just like Coote.

2 Likes

Good to see Bobby back… too early for this probably but should be at least a bench option for the game next week

2 Likes

Almost certainly it will be Matip, but I wouldn’t mind if it is Konate to help against Watkins.

Warm welcome for Stevie, as it should be.

Then beat them, which is also as it should be.

3-0 Liverpool. Salah, Mane and Thiago.

4 Likes

Odd quote in a BBC piece.

“If I’m on the bus heading back down the M6 towards Birmingham and I’m not the most popular at Anfield, so be it,” said Gerrard

Gerrard as manager really cannot take much away from his status as a player. If they win, so be it. I have zero expectation that he will play Liverpool differently because of his history with the club. I always absolutely loathed watching Ferguson’s ex-players and acolytes roll over for him, and look where it got the Mancs in terms of preparing a successor.

3 Likes

Klopp wasn’t asked about Bobby in the main part of the presser?

We’ll see what we do up top if Jota can’t play. How much is Bobby even ready after a few days training. Of course, Divock is available. Maybe Ox would also be an option as a false #9 if we need it at any point. Taki also somewhere similarly lower on the list.

Why? Is he injured? :astonished: