Pre- and In-Match | Liverpool v Southampton | PL Match Day 13 | Saturday November 27th 15:00h | Anfield

Evisceration. Nothing less please.

2 Likes

In a vacuum I do like Ralph. His project seems to have derailed a bit from the trajectory it was previously on.

That said, I was a little put off by his reaction to beating us 1-0 in January. Dropping to his knees while The Boss was trying to shake his hand. I understand the win likely meant a lot to him but it was a bit grandstanding IMO.

3 Likes

Our strongest midfield is:
Fabinho, Thiago and one of
Hendo
Keita
Ox
Milner
Jones

Possibly the best option of Elliot.

I think Hendo starts on Saturday, and as already stated Ox might get the nod if Jota isnt totally fit.

1 Like

Yeah, did a solid job so far with what he’s had to work with. Think they need to support him more with better recruitment I think. At one point under Hughes they looked dead and ready to drop down. Someone like Ward-Prowse wasn’t even so important and there wasn’t enough clarity over his best position. Then he came with his approach and it lifted a few individuals. But he’s still managing to keep them up with a bunch of not great individuals I don’t think, they need to add more quality to be more safe.

Southampton team news by WhoScored:

• A calf injury is expected to keep Stuart Armstrong out but Nathan Redmond is back in contention following the birth of his child and Moussa Djenepo is back after personal reasons kept him out last weekend.
  • Armando Broja, James Ward-Prowse and Valentino Livramento were all fit enough to return last weekend but only the latter pair will start at Anfield, with Che Adams and Adam Armstrong keeping Broja out of the team at present.
1 Like

Completely agree Z, well said.

Just my opinion of course but at one time they sort of reminded me of us in Jurgen’s early days here. There was a distinct fight about them and they were a high energy side with a budding identity. But like you said, the recruitment hasn’t been great and they’ve lost a few experienced players along the way.

EDIT: there was the one Friday night match we played them at St Marys. Cracking match we were behind and I can remember Hojbjerg running his mouth at Klopp during a stoppage of play. Mo scored and took off his shirt (we were wearing the purple 3rd shirts) then I believe Hendo finished it off.

I also like Ralph.

They lost Ings, Vestergaard, Bertrand, Lemina (and Minamino) and couldn’t replace them.

2 Likes

It’s hard to dislike someone called Little Rabbit Hutch

5 Likes

I thought Ox was very very good on Wednesday night, especially his work rate and tackling back. It would be a shame to drop him just as he is finding some form and hopefully fitness.

Konate did look a little shaky at times - but having VVD bellowing in his ear will soon put that right.

Tsimikas also put in a great performance and doesn’t deserve to be dropped but we all know that when he is in the groove Robertson is up there with the best in the world.

Save Jota and Matip for Wednesday.

Could be a big scoreline. 5-1

Allison
TAA Konate VVD Robertson
Henderson Fab Thiago
Ox Salah Mane

6 Likes

Mate of mine is a Saints season ticket holder. They love Hassenhutl down there. I think he’s their longest serving manager for something like 30 years which is crazy when he’s not even done 3 years yet. He’s done a great job in the circumstances. Their problem this season will be scoring goals. Only Norwich have scored fewer in the PL, but they have tightened up defensively. They got a draw at City and were less than 10 minutes away from getting a point at Chelsea so they are no mugs

Always a decent game against them as they are a budget version of us in playing style. I think if Ox misses out it’ll be a shame for him because he’s a rhythm player and has done well lately, but Hendo/Fab/Thiago has got to be the first choice midfield from now on if they are all fit. I think Robbo will probably return although I’d prefer to play Tsimikas here and unleash Robbo on Everton next Wednesday.

3 Likes

I cant see Matip starting 3rd game in 7 days.

I reside on the south coast and know a few Saints fans too, and can echo that the fans like him.

It is usual saints though - get a decent, up and coming manager in, he’ll do a decent job with the tools afforded to him, gets picked up by a club in the next bracket up.

Only a matter of time now, year or so, and he’ll be gone and Saints will reset again.

Klopp update at the moment:

Nobody new missing, nobody new returning.

As things stand, we go with the same squad that was available for Porto.

6 Likes

I can see Konate getting the nod alongside Virg. Konate is a bit raw, but he played his part in keeping a clean sheet against Porto. Matip isn’t the same sort of leader as Virg, and with a lack of time spent, the pairing wasn’t always together. But it was ok. Konate to continue his education alongside VVD as he is going to the very top in time.

Left back there’s a real choice to make. If we are mildly criticizing Konate’s performance against Porto, then let’s do the same for Tsimikas, as that wasn’t his best for us. It was ok, but not his best. Still, he is a good player and we have a genuine alternate at left back. Robbo to get the nod for me.

Midfield is likely to be Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson. I might be seeing trouble where there is none, but Henderson does not play well with Thiago. Thiago likes to touch the ball a lot. Receive it. Move it. Tick. Tick. Metronome. He sets the rhythm and conducts the team. He is approaching his best, after injury issues, and that’s what is clear to me. But the metronome stuff isn’t all he does, important as it is. Some of his passing is very telling, opening it all up, and as we just saw, he can hit a ball.

So, Thiago on this form is the midfield kingpin to me, with Fabinho offering insurance behind him, and is indeed an excellent player in his own right.

So what of Henderson? Yes, he can play with the two mentioned. But I think at that point both Henderson and Thiago take 5-10% off their game. If Thiago is out injured, Henderson steps up a bit more, and with another midfielder in there, no problem. But I’ve yet to see the midfield fully evolve, as intended, with Thiago here. There are signs it is getting there, and hopefully injury stays away to help them work it out.

Small problem, but it’s something I see. Thiago and Henderson currently take a little off each other’s game with the other present.

Up front? Mo, Sadio. Not sure who else. Origi has looked lively in his cameos lately, and I would be happy with him if Jota is not fully fit. Jota will be needed as more of a main man for us during AFCON, so giving Origi and Minamino, who just scored, some opportunities now, makes sense, so they can be up to speed when really needed.

He’s already done it this season, Brentford, Atletico, then City.

Have we even had a moment in the season where both were in rhythm at the same time to judge that? Thiago is just hitting form right now. Henderson got injured again after he was in rhythm but neither have been at the same time IMO. I’m personally going to wait and see on that.

My best midfield would still be Fab, Hendo and one of Thiago/Keita.

I will say I think Chambo has fallen out of favour on here but I’ve been really happy with how he has stepped up to the plate recently.

3 Likes

Bringing facts into discussions.

Will Ferrell Dont GIF by reactionseditor

5 Likes

Come on @RedOverTheWater surely you can do better than that.
Let’s see errm! Klopp doesn’t know how to get Hendo and Thiago to perform together but hey let’s just bring in Konaté, just because. :rofl:

#Kloppout and more!!!

Thiago is no longer the fall guy, lets round on Konate

Nah! just throw him in at the deep end when we’re bored, or something. :partying_face: :rofl:

He should have been grovelling at the feet of Marriner who produced a performance every bit as corrupt as Coote at Goodison.
They scored from a ludicrous free-kick, assaulted our players all night and got away with 2 stonewall penalties before Walcott attempted to break Milner’s leg.
I’ll be watching this dickhead with great interest tomorrow.

As for tomorrow I’d pair Konate with VVD but only to rest Matip for the derby. Tsimikas to keep the shirt at LB.
Give Hendo an hour and replace with Thiago. Or vice-versa. Ox to keep his place.
Unfortunately neither Divock or Minamino did enough against Porto to make me think they should keep their place.

4 Likes