Pre- and In-Match | Liverpool v Southampton | PL Match Day 13 | Saturday November 27th 15:00h | Anfield

Our last Premier League fixture at home that kicked off at 3pm on Saturday was against Brighton. We can’t afford to drop more points at home to another team from the South Coast.

Southampton went two months from the start of the season without winning a game but have won 3 of their last 5, drawing one and losing last time out against Norwich. This mirrors Liverpool’s results over the last 5 games and as a result Southampton sit 5th in the PL form table, just a place behind the tricky reds.

Win on Saturday and the reds can move above City and to within a point of Chelsea ahead of their respective home games against West Ham and Man United on Sunday.

Take it away…

7 Likes

Alisson
Trent Matip VvD Robbo
Hendo Fabinho Thiago
Salah Jota Mané

6 Likes

Felt Robbo was trying a bit too hard yesterday in the bits I saw of the game and ended up leaving gaps at the back - I’d stick with Tsimikas. If Jota isn’t quite ready then (dare I say it), Origi…

Rest Origi for the Derby on Wednesday.

7 Likes

Alisson

Trent Matip Van Dijk Tsimikas

Fabinho

Hendo Thiago

Salah Jota Mane

The big decision is around left back, and I would err on the side of Robbo needing the rest and Tsimikas has the shirt. It’s actually a more significant decision for Klopp than just who plays at left back, because from a meritocratic point of view Kostas should start. Dropping him could have ramifications elsewhere.

I’m slight nervous about Matip going again, and wondered if Konate might get this one. On balance I’d go with Joel.

1 Like

If there was one negative about last night’s win, it’s Konate’s performance. He was out of sorts especially in the first half and genuinely looked like he didn’t know what he was supposed to do and when. He still has someways to go before he is integrated into the way we play.

It’s a shame that Gomez is out because he’d probably get the nod. Konate will probably start given that 3 games in the space of a week might prove too much for Matip, but he really isn’t inspiring confidence at the moment.

2 Likes

Starting team shouldn’t be too complicated with our situation after recent events.

I expect Robbo to return and start over Tsimikas.

Biggest question is with Matip, can he start 3 games in a week? Wasn’t all that impressed with Konate last night, so with Gomez out, I’d hope Joel can start this game or maybe Konate plays this one and Matip returns for the derby, we’ll see.

Finally looking forward to a Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago midfield trio. Will be good to have people like Ox and Millie on the bench. Keita should also return to training in coming days.

And then Jota could be very important centrally with Southampton’s aggressive style, I want him to punish them with his movements, runs and obviously end product.

1 Like

Strongest available 11 we have had so far this season? I’m looking forward to seeing these guys playing together and finding their groove.

1 Like

3-0!

3 Likes

It will be a welcome conundrum for Klopp having so many players available, especially in midfield with Hendo and Millie back fit (hopefully Keita and Jones not too far away as well). With games coming thick and fast in the festive period, services of all players will surely be needed in the next few weeks.

I believe that all players of starting XI that demolished the Gooners merit another start. The main question mark hangs over Matip - can he play third game this week? Konate did not really impress yesterday, but he might just get the nod due to Matip fitness management.

With Thiago and Ox currently well in form and with their minutes last week carefully managed, they might edge the returning captaining duo of Hendo and Millie in the starting XI. The services of the latter two will undoubtedly be required at Goodison, where I believe Robbo and Origi shall be unleashed as well.

Bring on the Saints!

4 Likes

I expect Konate to look more solid and disciplined along side Virgil.

Live Joel, but don’t think he is as strong a leader on the back line - and agree he shouldn’t be pushed to play 3 in a week.

2 Likes

You also didn’t have anyone in midfield doing that covering role well you had an 18 year old.

I think we all know we are having 70-80% in this we need to make it count, on target shots please though no doubt McCarthy will show up after last week he was piss poor.

3 Likes

That’s probably the side, or maybe Ox for Hendo due to fitness.

Liverpool have the same form over the last 5 games as the have, except they have lost their last game vs the mighty Norwich. They are quite close as far as goals for vs goals against, but have conceded more, so it seems like they are well balanced.

They were drawing away at CH till the 84th min, after going a man down at the 77th, so we will have to break them down as I expect the normal defensively minded game that our opponents choose at Anfield.

2 Likes

the dream team! Bring it on!

2 Likes

Minus Bobby. :see_no_evil:

Should be a routine win, we just got to make sure we don’t take take them for granted just be professional and get job done , I think 3-0 to the mighty reds.

2 Likes

The CB, LB and probably the two midfield places is where Klopp may make changes and Jota if he’s not completely fit. Think it’ll be Matip, Robbo and Hendo Thiago Ox maybe. Milly for the derby! If Jota isn’t fit Ox further forward and Fab in midfield could be an interesting option. Just win it without injuries and put pressure on Chelsea.

2 Likes

I thought Jota was on the bench and hadn’t missed any training sessions, what am I missing?

Smash them. They’re shit.

7 Likes

@redfanman and Liverpool Injuries _Updates only, NO discussion - #159 by redfanman

and of course me talking shit as usual, what else do you need?

1 Like