Pre and in Match Thread. Brentford vs Liverpool. EPL. Sat 25th Sept. 1730 hrs

Jürgen Klopp has provided fitness updates on six Liverpool players ahead of Saturday’s Premier League clash with Brentford.

Trent Alexander-Arnold is available again having missed last weekend’s win over Crystal Palace due to illness, while Roberto Firmino is ‘in contention’ following a hamstring injury.

James Milner and Neco Williams are also back in training as the Reds prepare for the trip to Brentford Community Stadium.

Naby Keita is unlikely to feature against the Bees, however, due to the issue he sustained at Norwich City in midweek, and Thiago Alcantara is sidelined.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com at the AXA Training Centre on Thursday afternoon, Klopp said: “Trent was not injured, Trent was a little bit ill. He’s back in training, trained yesterday and will be fine.

“Neco made [his] first steps the day before yesterday; yesterday a [recovery] day; will be in training today, if it’s 100 per cent, we will see how he can cope with it.

“James was a similar thing to Trent, so he should be recovered. I saw him running around here, nobody told me differently – I assume he will be in training today.

“Naby probably not. It’s not a serious thing but we have to wait until the pain settles, pretty much. We will see about that. Thiago, no chance.

“Bobby trained already for two or three days, so he is back in contention, let me say it like this. We used him a little bit as a ‘joker’ [in training].

“But he will be in the normal training and then we have to make a decision if we take him with us or not. Porto, 100 per cent. Brentford, we have to see.”

3 Likes

So it’s pretty much Jones in midfield then. We’ll see if he’s at LCM or RCM. Outside chance it’s Millie.

3 Likes

Keita unlikely to feature. Blimey thats a statement we don’t hear much.

1 Like

Keita is a problem if he plays, but he’s also a problem if he’s injured. :thinking:

It seemed like it was only RB or CM that was in debate anyway. For me even though Tsimi is CURRENTLY playing better than Robbo i think we need to start Robbo. It’s the best way to get him back to his world class best. As others stated Tsimi will get the midweek game.

As for Keita, even before finding out he was injured yet again i would have put Jones in as he played better than him last game. On top of that if what Keita supposedly said was true about needing a more prominent role i’d have dropped him and let him know in no uncertain terms that he doesn’t pick the team, especially as he’s been drawing a lot of his wages from the hospital bed.

Lastly i’d not rush Firmino back, maybe on the bench for this one and a half in the Porto game. Also save Millie if possible. Even though both Millie and TAA are just coming back Millie covers more positions to rest players in midweek

1 Like

That makes it three midfielders down already then this season. If Fab or Hendo were to pick up an injury at the week-end then we might be talking in crisis terms. Surely lightning can’t strike twice , can it ?

1 Like

Maybe we will end up with CB’s playing in midfield this season, Matip would be very capable :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
And Trent.

3 Likes

Midfielders playing in defense, centre backs playing in midfield, goalkeeper scoring goals…

We may see Salah keeping for us next :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Why not? We already know that Ali can bang them in up front.

1 Like

Only he could get injured by a blade of grass!

Seriously, we haven’t learned from last year reyling on Thiago and Keita who are always injured.

2 Likes

We’d still have Minamino and at a stretch AOC with Morton as back up. We’d be ok, I hope.

Is Keita another of those players like Sturridge, who needs to learn the difference between pain and serious pain.

4 Likes

I think what also annoys people is that a very different decision would be made if it was an international game.

1 Like

He didn’t substitute himself…

You can say that because you don’t know. He could have said he couldn’t continue which for all intents is substituting himself.

To be fair to Thiago this is he first injury if you discount the kung fu Richarlison tackle.

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean?

I am saying that it would be extremely likely he would play if the game on Saturday was an international game, but won’t play a Liverpool game this Saturday because the club medical staff or player has deemed that he can’t play due to fitness.

2 Likes

Before Ox picked up his big injury against Roma he played a lot in midfield and not to shabby I may at. I still have confidence he can do that again if given a proper chance.

4 Likes

:wink: I know and haven’t given up on AOC, just his last match wasn’t a good advertisement.

Matip / Vvd has to be our first choice defense pairing. Brentford have a pretty decent attacking lineup

1 Like