Pre Match - Ipswich Vs Liverpool (PL 17/8/24) 12:30pm

My bet would be Darwin, followed by Curtis, and Endo (even if a transfer is arranged and gets sold)

With zero new signings and not being able to pick his strongest 11 due to copa and euros - the pressure is really on here to get 3 points for poor old Arnie.

Cant get much tougher than away to a newly promoted team, early KO in the heat and on TV where it will be so much biased towards Ipswich…

1 Like

We will hammer them…no worries… they’ll wish they were back in the championship.

7 Likes

Why did I think we signed Johnson from Everton?

If we can’t get past bleeding Ipswich, then we may as well pack it in and call it a day.

Referee: Tim Robinson.
Assistants: Timothy Wood, Steve Meredith.
Fourth official: Keith Stroud.
VAR: Stuart Attwell. Assistant VAR: Harry Lennard

Not heard of this 4th official before.

He hates Liverpool.

1 Like

Don’t they all.

6 Likes

He hasn’t been in the PL since about 2008

That’s the way….you are off to a flyer already.

1 Like

They got him back from us , I think.

1 Like

Ok well let me put it to you this way.

What hope would the rest of the season give if we couldn’t get past Ipswich.

1 Like

Are you not buoyed by the new season?
Excited, nervous?

This is Ipswich and I expect a Liverpool win.
Despite everything, the pre season has been decent. Players look like they are enjoying the new regime.
New coach, new ideas. We all miss Klopp but we have a lot to look forward to.
Gravenberch, Szoboszlai and MacAllister all bedded in after a season.

Cody looked strong in the Euro’s…Mo looks regenerated.
Its not all doom and gloom.

2 Likes

No, it’s all about the transfer spending.

Not important, it’s about winning the transfer window.

2 Likes

Yeah. See how Everton have done it.

Plenty of hope.

Look the big boys don’t won’t to drop points v Ipswich as it is fair to think they will be at the tail. We all agree.

But we dropped points v Luton away last year and were still in the mix until the late season debacle.

2 Likes

I think people tend to over-romanticise how the 90+ point teams won the league.

We got lucky on so many occasions in extremely tight games and scares. We somehow managed to find the winner on many occasions, but it was never a case of not dropping points to the likes of Ipswich.

A team on a 110/114 points stream lost 3-0 to Watford for crying out loud.

4 Likes

New season already? I think the Euros and Olympics make it feel like it’s never been away.

I haven’t seen the pre-season games (apart from the goal highlights) so this is very much my introduction into Arne Slot’s brand of football. I’ve quite warmed to him in interviews but it does have a bit of a “your not my real dad” feel about it. I think when Jürgen joined, I was so familiar with him from Dortmund that it felt like a homecoming.

Given the lack of incoming players, we will, at least, be familiar with most of the faces. I felt that the squad finished in a strong position last season and it is only really a Joel Matip replacement that worries me, or at least that I don’t trust the depth and fitness of our centre back options.

In case you are worrying about incoming players, when we last won the league, the incoming players were: Sepp van den Berg, Harvey Elliott, Adrián and Andy Lonergan: Two youngsters, a 2nd and 3rd choice keeper and a total outlay of £8,700,000.

In terms of Ipswich, I know very little about them. I remember they were great in the early 1980s (apart from appearing in Escape To Victory, which was embarrassingly crap, although not because of the players). I’m not sure whether a first game back in the top flight will leave them gung ho or cautious.

4 Likes

They’ve got nothing to lose by having a go at us. No one, not even their own fans, will expect anything other than an away win.
We need to remain calm and take control.

4 Likes

We are going to lose this. We fail to sign Zubimendi and the club is in a mess because of that.

1 Like