Pre-match: Leeds v Liverpool, Monday 17th April, 20:00

There have been so many occasions this season where a goal scored against us hasn’t necessarily come directly from the LF position (Trent’s side), but from Trent being so far forward that its forced our CB to come wide to cover that space, leaving a tremendous gap in the middle that Virg and Robbo have had to cover which so many teams have taken advantage of. In essence, to close off the space Trent leaves at RB, we offer the space instead in central areas. These are usually in transitional phases where Fab will have no chance of dropping back, especially knowing he really isn’t that quick.

Milner may be slow, and god knows he’s been burnt for pace numerous times when he’s played RB but he certainly isn’t as adventurous in that RB position which helps our shape immensely. That’s no knock on Trent. Its in his Job Description to get forward to provide width, an overlap and a direct avenue to making that final pass.

That’s of course the downside of Milner. We won’t have that attacking avenue from wide areas. Yes, Trent in the middle would add a bit more attacking flair from midfield, but I think its important to remember Trent’s favoured over-the-top balls won’t be anywhere near as effective from central areas. Forwards want and need angled lobbed balls. One because headers are much more effective when you have pace on them from a right-angle plus they are difficult to get on-target when the lob is coming directly onto goal direction, but also passing into space from a lob coming directly onto goal gives the keeper a massive advantage.

I don’t know if I managed to convey my message there effectively but for forwards, diagonal lobs or right-angle lobs (from corner) = good and lobs travelling goal to goal direction = bad.

1 Like

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel, formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :+1: :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Against Arsenal if cover was needed, Konate was coming wide to cover Trent, and Fab was dropping into defence to make up the numbers.

Not really, it was more a 3223 in posession.

Alisson

Konate - Van Dijk - Robertson

Trent - Fabinho

Hendo - Jones

Salah - Gakpo - Jota

This meant we had far more passing options in midfield to break the Arsenal press.

Out of possesion we went 442, the problem first half was the pressure all round the team was slow and passive, when we got into their faces we pushed 10 yards up field and made a contest of it. Konate being aggressive sweeping behind Trent made a huge difference, rather than holding hands with Van Dijk.

More of the same intensity please, I’ll be fucking livid if we don’t build on that 2nd half performance as it was exactly what I expect from any Liverpool team and I’m sure what Klopp does.

1 Like

Three points
No injuries

YNWA

Who am I to be asked about anything? I am just a good looking chinese talented artistic master from tiny Singapore, what do I know!?

Over Fab? Yes. Are you seriously telling me Fab is faster than Millie? Only asking in case i need to make an appointment at Specsavers because it doesnt look that way to me.

PS i said Joe or Millie at a push, Joe would obviously be better for speed

Alisson
Trent Konate vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Jones
Salah Firmino Jota

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Tsimikas, Milner, Thiago, Elliott, Diaz, Gakpo, Nunez.

I was thinking about dropping Fabinho. Hendo in his place, Jones RCM, Thiago LCM. But I think we need Hendo where he was and Thiago needs probably another week of training and minutes before starting. So let’s give that midfield another game from the start.

Will be interesting if we repeat the structure change in the build up phase with Trent coming in as the right sided double pivot.

This should finally be a game when we win and perhaps comfortably as well.

Ali
Ibou VVD Robbo
TAA FAB
Hendo Curtis
Mo. Darwin. Cody

3-2-2-3 for the win

1 Like

Or, at least, to develop the formation. This will give us more of a chance to see who and what we need to add to the squad in the summer.

If Thiago is fit, I’d start him over Jones.

Up front, Nunez for Jota or Gakpo I suspect.

Other than that same again.

Referee: Craig Pawson. Assistants: Marc Perry, Richard West. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: Tony Harrington. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis.

1 Like

Trent found those passes you’re talking about against Arsenal with ease, more so than we’ve seen him do for a while.

Playing in midfield doesn’t mean he will stay in the centre of the pitch.

1 Like

Craig Pawson isn’t too bad all things considered. I’m sure those who only watch for referee mistakes will have plenty of examples but he hasn’t obviously annoyed me.

1 Like

Alisson

Konate Van Dijk Robbo

Trent Henderson Thiago Jones/Jota

Firmino

Salah Nunez

Something like that, though the shape could look a bit different.

Firmino deserves to start, he’s much better than Gakpo. Nunez back in the centre, he and Salah have a decent understanding. Trent to be given more license as he was against Arsenal.

With Thiago and Trent in midfield and Nunez through the centre that should give us the option to play through Leeds or the direct ball over the top.

I think we might see our best away performance for some time here, it would be disappointing not to see us build on that second half vs Arsenal. Arsenal didn’t capitiulate like United, we battered a team that was performing really well. Should give us plenty of confidence for this.

2 Likes

You know art.

COYR YNWA :+1: :nerd_face:

1 Like

I did not know Art. Art knows me.

meditation GIF

2 Likes

jeff bezos GIF

5 Likes

Trent gonna play inverted role again? Picking my FPL team here!