Pre-match: Lincoln City v Liverpool, Thursday 24th Sept 1945 GMT

Pretty much confirms an XI along these lines, imo

Adrian, Williams, Koumetio, Phillips, Tsimikas, Grujic, Milner, Wilson, Minamino, Jota, Origi

Maybe Jones for Milner or Grujic

2 Likes

Phillips, Grujic, Wilson, Shaqiri, Brewster, Origi…

I‘m not sure if Klopp would want to use the Lincoln game to put those players in the shop window.

Or if he wouldn’t even think about using those players to not risk an injury before the transfer window ends.

1 Like

U21s playing right now

No idea if this will impact LIncoln City game. Possibly means Billy not ready, and we might see Rhys?

The bench will probably look fairly strong. Wouldn’t be surprised at something like this…

Adrian

N.Williams vdBerg Phillips Tsimikas

Milner Jones

Elliott Minamino Jota

Origi

Subs: Alisson; R.Williams, Koumetio, Robertson, Thiago, Salah, Stewart

Reasoning for those lot…
Adrian: Picks himself. Alisson won’t start and Kelleher is playing for the U21s tonight so he’s in goal by process of elimination.

N. Williams: Hasn’t started for the U21s and doubtful we want Trent in this so obviously he comes in.
van den Berg: Started to play well towards the end of last season and in pre-season. CB crisis so highly unlikely any senior CBs will be involved.
Phillips: As above, highly unlikely any senior CBs will be risked even if Gomez is fit enough. I think he’d be the natural starter ahead of Koumetio at the mpoment and interest in him from other clubs seems to have faded, as Forest, Bristol City and Blackburn all signed different targets, so he may need to remind clubs he exists.
Tsimikas: Naturally he rotates in as the 2nd choice LB

Milner: Obvious choice to bring in the mature leader for an inexperienced team.
Jones: Not many other options and wouldn’t expect a first team starter to be put in here (although I think Jones is close to being a regular). Cain, Clarkson and Woodburn all started for the U21s so they won’t play.

Elliott: Left out of the U23s or U21 sides this season so far so hints that he’ll start for the first team in the lesser cups. Shaqiri might be back fit, although the report I saw said he’s out for another week, but doubt we give a fuck about him anymore anyway.
Minamino: Steadily improving and a chance to get in him in his favoured 10 position and see what he can do.
Jota: Needs game time as wasn’t starting for Wolves since they knew he was leaving.

Origi: Personally don’t see him being sold so as good a chance as any to get his goalscoring off and running. Brewster, on the other hand, I think will leave iether on loan or perm so he won’t be risked.

Subs
Alisson: Kelleher is playing tonight (Tuesday) so not crazy to have him on the bench instead but I doubt it. Grabara won’t be involved as he is heading out on loan soon so won’t be risked. Karius won’t play.
R. Williams: Not sure on this one but he has missed out on the squad for the U21s tonight and I haven’t seen him mentioned as an injury. I’d expect him to be taken with the squad even if he doesn’t make the bench.
Koumetio: Same rationale as Williams really. Probably a little closer to the first team than Rhys so could expect to come on for Phillips at some point.
Robertson: Full back cover. Haven’t seen Norris at any level so far this season so he’s probably injured. We won’t want to use him but he’s there anyway. Owen Beck started for the U21s and isn’t close anyway. Only other option here may be right back Conor Bradley - he’s been on the bench all night for the U21s so would be fresh and is normally a starter at U23 level making it odd that CM Abdi Sharif filled in at full back.
Thiago: May still want to get him a few minutes before the weekend if the game is set right. No other options really - highly doubt Grujic will be involved as he negotiates with other clubs. Cain, Clarkson and Woodburn won’t be involved having just played Wigan for the U21s. Could always see Wijnaldum put here but personally think Thiago could use a 15 minute stroll a bit more.
Salah: Doesn’t like missing games and we don’t have many other wide options for the bench expect for Shaqiri who, as I said above, I don’t think Klopp wants anything to do with anymore. Could easily be Mane or Firmino in this seat.
Stewart: From left field really but didn’t make the U21 squad for the Wigan game tonight despite scoring a hattrick for the U18s on Saturday and being more talented than any of the forwards who were involved (Longstaff, O’Rourke, Millar and Bearne).

2 Likes

What about Wilson mate? I keep forgetting about him. Is he included do you think?

While I’m not overly bothered about the League Cup, especially given the larger prizes we expect to fight for, at the same time I AM bothered, and I want to win it! So yes, I’m talking out of both sides of my mouth at the same time…

In its proper place it’s a nice trophy and I remember all the Milk Cups back in the day, for example. It’s a squad game now, but we have a squad that can win this thing, and we won’t even have to see Alisson, Trent, Robbo, Virg, Mo, Sadio etc. play.

So… bring it on. Let’s win it. I’m sick of exiting the domestic cups too early.

• Caveat, though if we win the league and CL and go out early in the domestic cups, I’m sure I will be OK with that!

I forgot about him as well but I don’t think he will be involved - we’ve set a price and I’m sure there are clubs waiting to see if we will accept a bit less towards deadline day. We won’t risk an injury to him now I wouldn’t have thought as someone will take him.

1 Like

I don’t think we should risk Jota in such an insignificant game, specially with the ever increasing threat of Corona. Keep him on the bench, give him few minutes later.

Don’t think either Grujic or Wilson is in any kind of negotiations and just like Phillips they should be put on the window.

Frankly, I’m getting increasingly doubtful about the game going ahead.

Had this in my calendar today for some reason.

• got up at 4:45 am
  • turn on Bein, Utd V Luton (I think)
  • checked this thread for streams
  • surprised re lack of urgency/up to date news?
  • penny drops
  • back to bed

Look forward to doing all again on Friday!

7 Likes

Wouldn’t have any first teamers here, especially Thiago. Looking at his injury record, it’s not great so I wouldn’t give him a run out here only for some thug from the lower leagues to put their studs into him and screw him over.

Having said that, we still have only won three proper trophies in my time supporting the club since 2008 so I would like to see us bag this. We have been shit in the domestic cups for ages now.

1 Like
6 Likes

Pep says it will be a strong team, stronger than we think. We have players, numbers. It’s the start of the season, we become better with games. Other also need game time. No need to be paranoid.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Am I the only one annoyed by people on here suggesting that we lose this? We need to compete on all fronts why are people here cheering for us to lose this tie? That’s just sad.

2 Likes

I’d like us to have a good go at it, but proportionate to the fact that I’d rather lose than lose a league game.

Adrian

Williams Koumetio VDB Tsimikas

Milner Jones

Elliot Minamino Jota

Origi

Wouldn’t mind seeing Shaqiri in that formation, but want to see Elliot more!

4 Likes

I see JK wouldn’t get out of bed for a Carabao Cup press conference. PL is very different to JK but, like him, doesn’t deal in cliches. We are lucky to have two such intelligent and articulate guys. Makes every press conference genuinely interesting.

2 Likes

I don’t get the wanting to lose but I’m also not overly concerned about us ‘competing’ for it. Competing for this doesn’t really mean anything. I’ve got good memories of attending league cup games all over the place, going down to Wembley etc but without any of that this trophy really means very little to me. It’s always better to win than not but this is not at all a trophy worth worrying about.

It’s a good opportunity for squad players to get some minutes and for our best kids to get first team experience. That’s all positive. And I just like watching Liverpool play, as much as possible, and these games are pressure free games I can enjoy without any worry. So yeah, I hope we win.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen one post stating that we should want to lose this. Some posters have stated that they wouldn’t be too annoyed over a potential loss though, and that’s understandable, given the immense amount of games awaiting us in this short season.

3 Likes

At end of the day, the only people I want to see start are Jones, Minamino, Williams, and Jota. I don’t want to see VVD. I understand the calls for Elliot but don’t think he’s as close to first team action, but happy to be proven wrong.

1 Like

Not sure if I can agree on Elliott. Lincoln are a League One side.

Harvey has spent so much time with the first team and if he is that good he should already be good enough for bottom half Championship sides. It’s also not like we will play a U23 side like last year against Villa.

My only small concern is Williams and Elliott together on that right wing - but hopefully Milner will play RCM to help them out.

3 Likes