Pre Match: Liverpool v. Brentford, 1400 UTC, Sunday 16 January 2022 (Premier League)

A game we should win, but we should have beaten them earlier in the season. Instead the way we kept ourselves open, particularly down the right hand side as trent kept pushing forward.

A boring 1 nil would suit me down to a tee, but smashing them would be a nice way to make up for the game earlier in the season. Think it’ll be a tough game - they’re a well drilled unit.

Side note: my phone kept trying to autocorrect “we kept ourselves open” to " we kept our legs open " and I don’t know if I’m being bantered by my own phone about how easy our defense opens up sometimes :sweat_smile:

I think they tend to predict your text by using combinations of words you’ve previously frequently used.

1 Like

Jones to start in place of Milner. I would like to see Tsimikas also for his corners and crosses. Give Minamino another chance.

2 Likes

Nor a phrase I use tbh, and I wish I were doing well enough for it to be common use on my phone :sweat_smile::joy:

I was a little depressed so my doctor prescribed this:

1 Like

I have forwarded my tactics, not sure whether Klopp received it.

3 Likes

Like the tactics. I presume that’s Alisson getting forward throughout the game. First goalkeeper Hattrick?

Yes. Via the touch lines when Brentford is absorbed with containing the relentless onslaught by the outfield players.

tbh , the only way this game becomes consequential is if Chelsea get anything at City today.

Either way , whatever side we put out should be much too good for these , but you still suspect in our current funk that we are quite capable of fucking it up.

Why?

There’s this almost insane obsession with how some teams are inevitable. Chelsea earlier this season, and now City. They will drop points.

The whole idea that there has to be a “race” is bullshit when teams hit form and lose it in different points in the season.

1 Like

That’s brilliant. I actually met Billy Liddel briefly at a match in the 1980s. TBH, I wasn’t quite sure who it was but my (much older) friend introduced me.

The difference with City though is once they go on a run they sustain it. They might drop a couple of points here and there but that’s about it. As it stands , they need to lose three games and we need to win all ours. A draw or a defeat today for them still gives us a fighting chance. If they win , it’s as good as over. I’m only being realistic.

Should bring those shirts back he has on… Could go out dancing in that :0)

That is depressingly true.
Hoping for them to fall away is futile, but clutching at straws for Chelsea to get a result keeps hope alive.

Then tomorrow takes on renewed energy.

1 Like

That’s the definition of a run though? So far this season, they’ve still managed to lose to Spurs and Crystal Palace while drawing with us and Southampton. Their current run is 11 games, the record being us and 18 games I think it was. If they can match or beat that, then none of our games would ever have been consequential because they would effectively be walking the league anyway.

Or being defeatist. The season they narrowly beat us to the title, they didn’t drop that many points to the likes of Chelsea. They lost far more points to Wolves, Crystal Palace, Leicester, and Newcastle. The season we won the league, it came down to dropping points against Wolves, a depleted Spurs, Norwich, United (twice), Crystal Palace (I swear that’s their bogey team), and Southampton.

Again, this is bullshit. It’s not over until it is. If they keep up their first half of the season, they would win 96 points. Considering their last two seasons have been 81 and 86 points respectively, it’s ridiculous to think that this is anywhere near over.

1 Like

If we win our game in hand they will be 8 points ahead (as things stand), so would need to lose two games and draw one for us to be even. They still have to play us, so that’s a draw and lose from elsewhere. I think that’s pretty likely to happen. Sure they have a big advantage but I don’t think it’s time to cry it off just yet.

1 Like

Whatever City does won’t even matter if we drop the points the way we have been doing. Need ourselves to get run of wins and on form till the end of the season.

2 Likes

Or a different view to the super optimistic notion that City will drop points and we will win all our matches?

1 Like

I’m not talking about us at all in this. I’m talking about this magical pie-in-the-sky notion that City will not drop points.

On a Liverpool forum, in a Liverpool pre match thread, I am pretty sure most of us are talking about Liverpool and how City’s results effect us.