Pre Match: Liverpool v. West Ham United, 1730 UTC, Saturday 05 March 2022 (Premier League)

West Ham is a very good side. In fact, I rate them as the fourth-best side behind Liverpool, Sheikh City, and Mafia FC. I think David Moyes is a competent manager, for the second season running he has kept WHU in the thick of things without any major splurges. Their form since February is WWDDWL. Their loss last night might become a blessing since they now have to focus their meager resources on only two competitions.

Trent, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Fabiho, Keita, and Salah were rested last night and Henderson, Jota, Diaz, and Mane were spared to some extent as well. Firmino is out for a while and Thiago will not be available for this game. It’s very unlikely that any of our heroes from last night’s game will be in the starting XI but most would make the bench.

I’m loving this newfound luxury of having the likes of Tsimikas, Konate, Curtis, Elliott, Jota, and Minamino as reserves. What a time to be alive.

It will not be pretty, and it definitely will not be easy, but three points are demanded. Come on Red, raise hell. YNWA.

4 Likes

At their ground, we were undone by them putting a lot of pressure on Ali during set pieces. I’d like to see us do something to counter that. Adding or own man in the mix will crowd Ali more, but that’s likely our best option. Either way, Ali will be in for a tough afternoon against their big lads.

Virgil meow’ing in Zouma’s ear constantly might help us out!

Line up wise, we will be looking pretty good given some of our lads were rested last night (and theirs weren’t). Moyes only made two subs, one forced with Soucek having to come off for stitches (might therefore also be concussed?). Pretty much the rest of their main lads have 90 mins in their legs, and the L means they won’t have the lift of progression in the cup to carry them through. Moyes set them up in a 3/5 at the back last night, which is a change to his usual 4-4-2, which is how they lined up against us in November. We seem to struggle more against three CBs.

We have a few CM issues by the looks of it - Jones came off last night, we know Thiago is out, and thus far not seen/heard anything on Naby (wasn’t in the squad last night). Ox played 90, so likely won’t start.

Going to be a tough one, but we should comfortably have the legs to out run them, and we have the quality to beat them. Hoping for a regulation 3-0 victory.

Line up wise, I’m expecting;

Alisson
Trent Matip Virgil Robbo
Hendo Fabinho Naby
Mo Mane Diaz

Jota to come off the bench 2nd half if needed.

1 Like

I noticed the game after we did stick someone near Alisson so it’s been noted we’ve generally defended corners well this season.

West Ham were more in form then than now but they will be tough like Brighton they do seem to show up against us.

When I think again, maybe we will start Jota up top here and Mane against Inter.

Jota here to try and hurt with his mobility/balance/solutions against West Ham’s compact size at CB/CM, maybe we’ll also need his nose for a goal.

Mane against Inter to disrupt their build up, which we struggled a little bit with in the first leg.

Although… we might drop Diaz for one of those two games, par example play Diaz against West Ham, and then Jota on the left and Mane up top for Inter.

Matip isn’t the weakest link- we don’t have one.

I agree that we’re at least as good as any other team in Europe when on form; if it were a fair contest, we would walk the league but, sadly, City frequently benefit from generous decisions whereas Mo could get gunned down in the area and a penalty wouldn’t be awarded.

11 Likes

3-0!

2 Likes

There’s always a player who’s the least brilliant QED weakest link.

West Ham team news by WhoScored:

• West Ham went pretty much full strength in the FA Cup on Wednesday and still lost in a blow for David Moyes.
  • Issa Diop will drop out of the XI here from the midweek action and West Ham will revert back to a four-man defence.
  • Said Benrahma has underwhelmed for a while now and will likely drop to the bench as well now Manuel Lanzini is fully fit.
1 Like

Joel’s been better than Virgil for long stretches this season. Okay, VVD was coming back from injury but Matip hasn’t let anyone down at all.

Whilst I agree with the logic of your point, I still don’t see Joel as being the weakest link. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Joel Matip No GIF by Liverpool FC

4 Likes

So who would you propose as our current weakest link in @Mascot ’s post? On the basis that they’re all fit and on form? I’m in no way saying Matip is a bad player. Obviously.

1 Like

Then who is? Who is the least brilliant player in our starting 11? My point is that nobody in the PL gets into our starting 11 as our weakest link is still stronger than anybody else.

1 Like

Depends on what you define as weakest link I guess?

For example, Matip is better defensively than Trent, he’s better at carrying the ball than Virgil, and also at quick short passeing.

He’s not as good in terms of speed, reading of the game, long passing or heading as Virgil, but the bar’s damn high considering Virg is the best there is.

There are many different situations that the squad face, and different players will be higher risk of making an error when facing up to different systems.

Premier League No GIF by Liverpool FC

3 Likes

More to the point: why does there have to be one?

Can’t we just bask in the all-round glorious-ness of our team?

7 Likes

So many other answers coming in, sorry, I was so wrong……

1 Like

I think you missed the point of my original post. In order to decide which player could be replaced by another from a different team, surely best to start with the least outstanding?

Ok
But not Matip on current form?
In most peoples starting eleven I would say Matip is in better form (last five games) than Hendo?

The reverse fixture was one of the most frustrating games of the season. Probably only surpassed by the Spurs farce. Let’s reassert our dominance and show Moyes it was just a fluke.

2 Likes

I don’t know; missing about a billion chances against Leicester has to be up there. :rage:

2 Likes