Pre Match | Liverpool vs Atalanta | CL Matchday 4 | Wednesday November 25th 20:00h | Anfield

I know, I know.

I feel if Neco plays, because Milner has to move to midfield due to Naby injury, Robertson has to start. But we might see Tsimikas coming in at some point.

No matter how much I hate it, Wijnaldum has to play. Unless, you move Fabinho into midfield and play Rhy in defence. I will not be too eager to start Thiago, even if he is fit, after missing so many games, maybe as a substitute.

Unless Salah is fit, the alternatives to Mane are Takumi and Divock, that’s a steep drop in quality. But I wouldn’t mind that.

1 Like

I’d play
Allison
Neco Rhys Fab/Matip Kostas
Jones Thiago/Gini Milner/Hendo
Mo Origi/Shaq Minamino
30 mins for Matip, Gini and Hendo
Should be enough to get through 1-0

1 Like

Will these players be fit???

Surely Mo should be ok. He’s tested negative hasn’t he?

I’d be concerned about the Williams boys on the right side of defence. They’ll be targeted for sure. Kostas is a cert I’d imagine, but who plays in midfield is a total mystery.
Mo, Mini and Jota up front. Jota off at half time for Bobby or Sadio.

2 Likes

Klopp said Mo is available, looked pretty good in training, but also mentioned that he didn’t train for a little while before that. So we’ll see. No news on all other injured players.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget that UEFA is allowing five substitutions this season, so we have a lot more in-game flexibility.

Start with the strongest available lineup and then rest players as necessary.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Can’t see Bobby. Hopefully nothing happened.

1 Like
2 Likes

I don’t know the deal with Shaq, but I can’t imagine he will be back. Hendo will be close? but I’d probably bring him on at 50’ with the plan for us to give him and Gini 90 mins each for the next two games. I’d go with:

Ali
Neco Fab Matip Kostas
Gini Curtis Milner
Jota Mini Salah

Subs: 50’ Hendo for Gini, Mane 75’ for Jota, 75’ Div for Salah. Other two subs will be kept free for the first two injuries.

It looks like an FA Cup team on paper but IMO it’s what we need to go with. I don’t know if Klopp is thinking about changing up the CB partnership, but I’d keep the same from last game. As Klopp often says, CB is not a strenuous position to play and i’d like Fab and Joel to get some game time together. Not playing someone (Joel) purely to limit his field time due to injury risk is not a valid excuse. Would love a more attack oriented midfielder playing but can’t think of a fit one.

2 Likes

Really can’t see Joel playing.

He was at the press conference, usually an indication that the player starts tomorrow.

5 Likes

I think we’ll see us play patiently. No heavy metal football. Save energy. Not fussed who JK picks, we’ve proven we’re a match for anyone no matter what team is put out.
Especially if it’s any 3 out of Mo, Sadio, Bobby, Diogo, Taki or Divock. Well as long as 2 of the 3 aren’t Taki and Divock.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I think there’s actually a fairly decent argument for Origi starting this one despite how poorly he’s played this season. One of the things that stood out for me in our first game is how susceptible Atalanta are to a simple pass in behind their defence or on the counter. That back 3 of their is very slow, and if Origi can muster up enough drive to put in another Everton (5-2) like performance he could expose that along with Mo, Jota or Mane.

To be fair to Rhys, Zapata targeted him in the first game and had no success. After he moved over to Gomez he started getting plenty of chances.

Atalanta had no quality in the wide positions in the first game though and they have Gosens back for this, he’ll be playing up against Neco. Good test for sure.

2 Likes

It’s possible JK will pick a team based on who he thinks will be available for the weekend. We keep hearing Hendo and Tiago are ‘close’ and if it looks likely they’ll be fit for Brighton then we may see the same midfield tomorrow as we saw against Leicester.
If neither are likely to be fit then I wouldn’t risk Milner or Gini tomorrow. Neither should be playing 3 games in 6 days. Play a couple of the young lads and if it goes tits-up so be it.
It’s a shit situation tbh compounded by fucking ludicrous fixture planning. Tomorrow isn’t ‘must win’ and I’d take a defeat if it meant fielding a fully fit and competitive 11 at Brighton.

7 Likes

Yes I don’t mind either Origi or Taki starting just that they don’t start together. For me it’s either/or

1 Like

Really hope Klopp rest Matip, Robertson, Wijnaldum and Mané. Even if we lose and Ajax wins the both of them are still 2 points behind with matches against Ajax and Midgetland :sunglasses: coming up.

3 Likes

If you rest all three, there will be too many untested players. I would prefer resting either Matip (Milner in defence and Wijnaldum in midfield) or Wijnaldum (Matip in defence and Milner in midfield).

2 Likes

Becker

I would play Williams and Williams, Fabinho and Tsimikas in the back.

Milner on the right side of the midfield to help the young lads. Firmino who can easily play midfield and Jones.

Salah, Minamino and Jota upfront.

2 Likes