Pre Match | Liverpool vs Burnley | PL Matchday 19 | Thursday January 21st 20:00h | Anfield

But it was interesting to see against United how we changed the positions of Hendo and Fabinho at CB. Also, for the last part of the first half, we even switched the positions of Salah and Mane. Salah went to the left, which I think the last time that happened was Arsenal at home in 2017, when he put in a cross/assist for Sturridge, our 4th goal that day.

Back to this game, I’m pretty sure Matip starts and then Hendo goes back into midfield.

2 Likes

Probably true, but if you had told me we would start Shaqiri as the RCM against United I would have been skeptical too.

I doubt Klopp makes these kind of big changes, but @ILLOK took the words out of my mouth in two threads about using our fullbacks and wide players differently. Until Jota is back there aren’t many options to change how we are using our forwards.

I think the idea was planted by the swap between Salah and Mané for a period that you point out @Zoran, since we were also clearly trying to avoid pushing both FBs high simultaneously.

(If we wanted to really shake things up, Minamino in as the #10.)

2 Likes

I think we know the team, don’t we?

Alisson
Trent Matip Fabinho Robbo
Hendo
Thiago ???
Salah Firmino Mane

That ??? Being one from Jones, Milner or Gini

Alisson, Trent, Phillips, Fabinho, Robertson, Henderson, Thiago, Gini, Shaqiri, Salah, Mane.
Save Matip for the spurs game Phillips will deal with Dyche hoofball and Shaqiri instead of Bobby who looks a bit lost at the moment.

1 Like

Let’s start with Origi please and in his best position, centrally as a striker for once and give him 60-70 minutes for this one and let Bobby come into form again through subs.
Also, I would drop Salah for this one and play either Ox/Taki instead of him.
Shaq to remain in the midfield with Gini and Thiago.
But, I think Curtis and Milner will start instead of Thiago and Shaq…so expect sideways and frustrating cross after cross with no penetration.

I like that line up , but going by Klopp’s recent judgement of our younger CB’s , I am afraid, it will be hendo back with Fab.
And, I think Milner and Curtis will start due to FA cup game as well , so I expect more frustrating night in terms of breaking the opposition

Can our cotton wrapped Matip handle the physicality of Burnley in his first game back, I doubt that !

I am also not sure, how much Klopp will risk Thiago for another 90. I am sure his fav Millie will be back.

But, I think you are right, for all of us wishing Firmino to be dropped, it won’t happen…Klopp’s not going to do that yet.

Thiago is one of the few things we got going for us at the moment, surely he will start if he is fit.

I was thinking about a very similar team to both of these but i’d actually use both of them. Start with the diamond then at a pre-planned time switch to the 4231. Im thinking teams are working out our game plan and knowing what we’ll do within 10 minutes of the game starting so why not change it up partway through? Klopp tried switch Mane and Mo yesterday and that caused a little confusion for Utd, why not go 1 step further.

FBs providing width in the diamond with Hendo and Gini covering them then get the FBs to sit back and play the balls though to Shaq and Mane when we go 4231. I’d like to see this whether we’re winning or not, the 2nd formation being less likely to concede with the extra protection Hendo gives.

1 Like

Is this your idea of sorting out the thread opening, @GermanRed?
You better start delivering…

4 Likes

Yeah, no pressure :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sean Dyche’s voice sounds like he just swallowed a bag of gravel.

Smash these, they’re complete shit.

7 Likes
Allison

TAA Nat Fab Robbo

Thiago Hendo Jones

Salah Bobby Mane

Score 3 or more by the 60th minute, then:
Matip on for Hendo, Fab to move to midfield.
Milner to replace Jones
Taki on for Salah

Milner, Matip, Hendo, Taki and Gini can then start along with Shaq and Origi, against United. A mix of youth and experience. Hopefully that should ensure we have all senior players available to start against Spurs next Friday

2 Likes

I would rather buy-back Brewster and put him up top.

4 Likes

Brewster is taking Sheffield United down, klopp is such a clever man. :smiley:

5 Likes

I would have thought that this is a game that Nat or Rhys could start in. Hopefully Matip getting back towards fitness. We desperately need to win this if we are to put the season back on course.

1 Like

Well we certainly have hit a bump. Mid season slump so to speak. However we need to get back on the horse and do some serious riding. We could start by banging in some against Burnley.

2 Likes

Easier said than done.
Full throttle from the first whistle against these bus parking teams and try to secure a first goal.
Continued full throttle up to half-time in the hope a second is forthcoming… Two goal cushion see the game out…! All hands to the pumps style of defending second half if needs be.
With every week we get through unscathed, it is another week we have moved away from the blip we are in.
It is the frenetic pace these teams will struggle against. We more than capable of producing it.

2 Likes

I would rather stick with Bobby instead. No disrespect to Brewster, but he is not that accomplished yet at this level to lead the line.

2 Likes

I’d start Jones. He’s the one relatively unknown player we have and was our best player for a few games there

1 Like