Pre Match | Liverpool vs Burnley | PL Matchday 19 | Thursday January 21st 20:00h | Anfield

I’d rather buy Steven Caulker back and play him up front

5 Likes

Drop Firmino
Start Thiago and Shaqiri

3 Likes

No disrespect mate, but Jones should not be in the starting line up. He has a huge tendency of being too cocky with the ball and tends to over play many times, losing possession in key moments, which leads to sometimes conceding goals.He still has a long way to learn.
He was only given a sustained run because Thiago, Millie were out, Hendo was in and out and Fab was playing behind at CB. With a fit Thiago and Matip back, Hendo and Thiago are nailed on starters with Gini rotating with Hendo. Which leaves one place for an attacking midfielder to add creativity. And that for now remains Shaq/Ox to start behind our front 3.

2 Likes

I hope that was a wee bit of banter mate. Because, I don’t think this Caulker guy would have scored the winner in the Champions league final for us. :smiley:
Anyhow, the reason for a push to start Origi remains for a simple fact …and that is out of form Bobby.

I really wish some of us calm down the way we completely label our squad players as “rubbish” and have a bit of perspective. We play players like Origi/Taki mostly 1 game in 10 and that too out of position and we expect a Messi-esque performance playing with players they have not started a game with for months.

4 Likes

For me Shaqiri needs to start.

Aside from the fact that he offers something different, the go to fringe players need a couple of games to get match fit in order to be fully functional. If they then go back to the bench, they are more useful off it.

Hope to see him in this one and at United.

Let’s see Salah up top, Mane and Shaqiri wide, with Thiago, Gini and ideally Hendo in midfield if Matip’s fit.

Bobby’s form does not warrant a place, and his contribution is most effective when the team is at its strongest and all parts are working in unison.

Let’s use players who might not be the full in tune unit that worked so well for us, but with the skill and form to dig out results.

4 Likes

I don’t expect a Messiesque performance. I expect a player to be able to run, trap a ball and be able to pass the ball to a team mate 3 yards away.
Unfortunately that rules out Big Div and Taki.

1 Like

[quote=“RedForever, post:45, topic:1560, full:true”]
For me Shaqiri needs to start.

Aside from the fact that he offers something different, the go to fringe players need a couple of games to get match fit in order to be fully functional. If they then go back to the bench, they are more useful off it.

Hope to see him in this one and at United.

Let’s see Salah up top, Mane and Shaqiri wide, with Thiago, Gini and ideally Hendo in midfield if Matip’s fit.

…and Shaqiri’s new thatch deserves to be playing as well. :0)

2 Likes

If we’re going by those standards, there have been well many games this season where all of Salah, Mané, and Firmino would have been ruled out. Surprisingly for all the criticism of Origi so far this season, he was still our second most productive player per 90 minutes played last season.

1 Like

Jones has been too safe on the ball recently if anything, I don’t know where this stuff comes from.

7 Likes

Well, my last comment was about having a bit of perspective mate, but it seems like we prefer to rubbish players without considering some factors.

But, Devil is always in the details and without being disrespectful , here are a few stats, which may help you have an alternative perspective :
Origi has made 4 sub appearances in the premier league this season , in total 12 minutes, I repeat 12 min this season(while almost half of the season has gone)
In these 4 appearances , he has been played 2 games as LW, one as RW and one as CF. (all in 12 min)
Now, in those 12 minutes of appearances, how many touches of a ball can a player really get ? But, I still retrieved some passing stats for you.
5 passes in 12 min , with 80% pass success rate.

some stats for Taki:
8 appearances in the league this season out of which only 2 were starts and 6 were subs.
1 goal out of 2 league start isn’t really bad , I guess. This season he has played 282 minutes of football.
133 passes in 282 minutes of football, with an average 13 passes per match.
6 shots in those appearances , with 3 on target.
Most of these appearances were either as a deeper central mid, or LW. Only one appearance in his best position as CAM.
And, If I make it easy without the numbers, Taki scored in his last league start and gave an assist in the cup game he started.

As @RedForever mentioned, these squad players need game time, to build fitness, sharpness and get up to speed of the game . 1 appearance in 10 games just doesn’t help them. It’s a lot easier for them to bed in , when team is already on fire. But, it makes it even harder for them to outperform others in 5 min, when the whole team is out of form.
I am sure some of us already feel Kostas is rubbish too. :wink:

So, my request with this post is to not lose faith in the squad and please give them a chance with a sustained run of appearances. Don’t forget, Origi when got a sustained run of games in the league and champions league was prolific and boasted a 100% conversion rate in champions league in the winning season.
[https://www.givemesport.com/1480415-divock-origi-boasts-a-100-conversion-rate-in-his-champions-league-career]

5 Likes

I hope West Brom game still counts in recent. :wink:, probably the last home game before United, and we all know his error.

And, I am not saying he should never start, I just feel he is not a definite starter , when our players are fit.

1 Like

He misplaced a pass, don’t know why that’s cocky. Thiago did similar against Newcastle.

Every mistake he makes being ‘cocky’ or ‘flashy’ is getting on my tits to be honest, it’s fucking stupid. I can only imagine the pelters he’d get if he was as bad as Chamberlain.

3 Likes

Oh OK. Thanks for the stats.
It hasn’t changed my mind though.
I haven’t lost faith in the squad. I think it’s the best squad in Europe. I just think Origi and Taki are crap. I like them, they seem nice as people, just crap footballers.

I agree with Illok on the stuff written about Curtis Jones. Absolute nonsense. If anything he needs to believe in himself more, he has insane skill.

1 Like

Origi and Taki over Firmino, Salah or Bobby hmmm?
That’s a tough one.

1 Like

Well, you seem to have taken the whole point into a debate of how good Curtis is. I nowhere said , he is shite. I just said he shouldn’t be a starter with all our midfield n defence fit. He still needs to be more accomplished.
And he has looked a bit loose on the ball in a few games. He is good and has excellent potential…but it will come through… it’s a learning process. Mistakes at this level can be costly…and he was sloppy there in the west brom game and it has been observed a couple of other times as well and I am happy that Jurgen has taken him out of the limelight and will ensure he will learn.
I don’t think mentioning sloppiness of a player is an offence especially a stupid one, worse is when people mention players as crap and should be sold straight away in the in-game thread.

My point was always about him starting and not rubbishing him, if it helps.

1 Like

Best squad in europe has crap players…that made me chuckle :wink:
Appreciate your feelings mate. Cheers

1 Like

I remember when we used to smash teams…

I wore an onion on my belt, which was the fashion at the times…

Anyway…

5 Likes

Every great squad In history has had a couple of crap players.

2 Likes

Burnley without any serious players missing.

Jimmy Dunne, Bailey Peacock-Farrell and Charlie Taylor are doubts, according to WhoScored.

1 Like

I remember when we used to smash teams…

I wore an onion on my belt, which was the fashion at the times…

Anyway…
[/quote]

Grandpa Simpson

3 Likes