Pre Match | Liverpool vs. Sheffield Utd | PL Matchday 6 | Saturday 24th October 20:00 | Anfield

In PL though, the more refs at VAR, the further the stupidity will be compounded.

2 Likes

What we saw on Saturday weren’t mistakes.

5 Likes

Game on Saturday night…

2 Likes

vs Sheffield

Adrian
Al-Ar Fabinho Gomez Robertson
Keita Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mané

vs Midtjylland

Alisson
Al-Ar Matip Gomez Tsimikas
Henderson Thiago Keita
Salah Minamino Jota

Depending on how fit the currently injured players are but the CL gives us a great chance to rest players and correct during the game with 5 changes.

Wonder how many people will split the cost with their mates and have 3 or 4 of them round to watch it? The government should have nipped this in the bud straight away but as we all know they haven’t got a fucking clue.

As to the match a lot depends on whether Matip, Keita and Tiago are fit. A few will be a bit leggy after last night but at least Hendo and the front 3 got some time off. I think we’ll start with Hendo, Keita and Gini in midfield. Last season we absolutely schooled these at Anfield and they seem to have dropped away quite a bit since then, take our chances and we should be comfortable.

1 Like

This is maybe a good moment to meet Sheffield. I expected them to be stronger this early season, but it seems that they are suffering from second-season syndrome and have some problems to solve. It will be up to our lads to stick the boot into them while they are on the ground, and get back to winning ways in the league after our difficult win at Amsterdam in the CL.

It’s probably a bit soon for Allisson still, so Adrian keeps his place for the time being. If Matip is available, it could be worthwhile thinking about replacing Gomez with him, and then rotate the two in order to try keeping them fit. Fabinho is now the lynchpin in our central defence, it’s obvious. No way he gets removed from there.

In midfield, everything will depend on who is available, and Klopp will most probably start his usual frontline again, as he took them out all three yesterday night, no doubt in order to manage their fitness for the game ahead.

So, my line-up if all players but VVD are back:

Mané Bobby Mo

Hendo Thiago Keita

Robbo Fab Matip TAA

Adrian

Regarding the Bobby conundrum: Klopp has a ruthless streak about him and there’s no way he’ll permanently line up a player if he doesn’t perform. Which means: Bobby is performing. He isn’t at his absolute brilliant best since some time, but does his job as asked from him. The goals and the incredible technical tricks will come back with time. Class is permanent, and he has it in spades as we know.

…I always listen to Steve Hunter on LFC channel… His enthusiasm is infectious

1 Like

Brewster is going to score. Let’s hope we score at least 2.

2 Likes

One thing I noticed in the previous two games is not only our defending but our attack is also better from the left wing than right. Not sure if it’s down to Mane and Robbo being in tremendous form or Trent being off form, but would love an improvement down with right. Not sure who can play in place of Trent as Gomez might have been the one thought of. Milly played midweek so he won’t, and Nico isn’t ready yet. But Trent also needs a break, as there’s something about his performance that makes me believe he’s either tired mentally or physically.

Also, about time Jota is awarded for his cameos IMO. He’s doing the right things, plus didn’t play the entire 90 minutes. Klopp might go with the front 3, but I can see him being the first one to come off the bench. Else it would be good to rest Bobby and rather him come off bench for this one. Would be interesting to see how Jota fares when played with Salah and Mane.

6 Likes

Think that world class centre back we have, Fabinho will score a couple, either side of a mane hat trick for a nice and easy 3-0.

I can also see Salah and Trent on the score sheet. So definitely 3-0. Just worked it out.

Will listen on radio, and donate some cash to a foodbank.

7 Likes
Adrian

TAA Fabinho Joe Robertson

Wijnaldum

Henderson Keita

Salah Mane Jota

Now why the line spacing doubles if I center align :thinking:

Cos it knows you must be writing a line up. Why else would you centre align?

3 Likes

Expect to see the full strength side for this one, especially with the whole front 3 subbed off at 60 minutes in Amsterdam. Then, expect some more rotation, and full use of the 5 subs rule, next Tuesday.

But, also wouldn’t mind starts for Jota or Taki, and am hoping Thiago will be fit, though can’t imagine he’ll be risked if not fully recovered from his Richarlison mugging.

SHU (PL):

=====================Adrian=======================
Trent=======Gomez=============Fabinho========Robbo
=====================Hendo=======================
==========Thiago/Naby==========Gini================
==Salah===============Bobby===============Mane===

MID (CL):

===================Adrian/Allison===================
Neco ======Gomez/Matip=========Fabinho=======Robbo (if Kostas not fit yet)
=====================Thiago======================
==========Jones================Naby==============
==Shaq==============Minamino==============Jota====

Overall, Fabinho just became our most important player of the season.

Also, I just can’t wait to see Henderson and Thiago get a run of games together, I think they’ll make an outstanding combination, and their partnership could provide a much better shield for our back 4 until big Virg gets back next season.

I agree with your point , on the side where Mane and Robbo have been operating we have seen alot of good stuff. I think given the fact that Mane is better at picking the ball of the opposition , they tend to avoid going down that side cause teams know it would be a struggle to break us down from there. Trent and Gomez are being targeted clearly, but rather than resting Trent , i think the team has to persist with him down the right and find a way to cover Trent and Gomez through the midfield. Maybe another way to handle the situation is to play 3 at the back? Gomez, Fabinho and Matip , add that extra cover and give Trent more freedom to attack teams. The defensive duties do seem to be weighing on him a bit , but if we give him more freedom to go up and contribute i think he will gain more confidence.

However for the Sheffield game i do think our formation will be

Adrian
Trent, Fabinho , Gomez, Robbo
Wijnaldum, Henderson, Milner
Salah, Minamino/Firmino, Jota

I think mane has earned some rest given he has had to ice his leg for the last few games. I do think if the game isnt going anywhere we will see Mane brought in to change the team up and give us more impotus going foward. The midfield is a working midfield and i think works well for us defensively rather than having a Keita in there. We should give Minamino another run out seeing as Firmino has not been performing well for us lately, then again maybe we might start firmino and then bring on Minamino if Firmino puts in a lethargic performance this time around.

2 Likes

Re: getting past the pay-per-view scandal. Does anybody know of any generally reliable streams nowadays ? (I’m pretty sure there’s one good one that a lot of people use , but for the life of me I can’t remember what it is ! )

As for the game. I’d have Fab back at the base of the midfield if the other two are good to go in defence , hopefully with Hendo and Thiago alongside.

Minamino has to be pressing for a start soon , if Bobby doesn’t rediscover some form. And the five subs thing in CL is going to benefit all our supporting cast so I’m all for that.

I hope Rhian Brewster bags loads of goals for the Blades … starting next week-end.

The world of streaming is a rapidly moving one, but these days, I tend to use total sportek. Annoying ads and pop-ups will be your fate, but in most cases, you’ll end up finding a reasonably satisfying stream.

If anyone knows something better though, please share!

2 Likes

As someone who has been using streaming for years (Sky are not ever going to get a penny of my money), I also find Total Sportek one of the most reliable sites, once you get past the ads (those Russian girls can carry on waiting)

The other very reliable service is Hesgoals.

5 Likes

A reminder ahead of the game to donate that fifteen quid* Sky wants to take of you to watch a game of football to a cause that needs it much more.

(*Or a bit of it)

6 Likes

Also, Marcus Rashford has been tweeting out catering businesses from across the UK that are offering food and packed lunches to children and families who might otherwise go without. They deserve our support. Check his time line, there are bound to be businesses near you if you’re in the UK. Eg,

8 Likes

Hesgoals … that’s the one I couldn’t remember the name of . Cheers !

1 Like