Pre Match | RB Leipzig vs Liverpool | CL Second Round First Leg | Tuesday February 16th 20:00h | Puskas Arena

There’s a bigger game at the weekend so I’d be picking a team with that in mind. Rest Trent, Robbo, Hendo and Gini.

Alisson - Neco, Phillips, Kabak, Tsimikas - Tiago, Jones, Shaq - Bobby, Mo, Mane.

Strongest 11 for me. I am hoping the CL can give us a break from our domestic woes. Obviously we have the Derby at the weekend, but i think they play City on Weds.

Alisson
Trent
Kabak - knows RB from playing in German league
Hendo - would love to push him into midfield but he is needed here
Robbo
Gini
Thiago
Jones
Mane
Bobby
Salah

Unfortunately, we are limited. I really want to push Hendo into midfield but i cant justify starting a big game with a new CB partnership.

1 Like

Leipzig have a form table of LWWWW. 12 goals scored, 4 received. Solid. All wins came against mid-table teams, and the whipping boys Schalke.

Still, on current form, and with this tie played on neutral grounds, they must be favourites to kick us out.

Might this be a psychological advantage for our lads? Let’s see. In any case, we’ll clearly play second knives in this tie. Anything else than a clear Leipzig qualification would be a surprise for everyone having watched us play over the last month.

2 Likes

Well, let’s hope you bring back the missing good luck .

I wouldn’t swap out Thiago from the line up in this game. This is his stage, his experience and calmness will be vital in a European tie for sure.

Leipzig defence isn’t too bad, they have the two best defenders the whole world is after.

It’s hard to find right now, where our goals will come from. But, I still hope there will be a reaction and it’s a cup which can be won, if you perform well on the day.

It’s not going to be easy on a champions league night without our fans, but I still hope we will nick it 2-1. Mane goal and a penalty from Mo.

1 Like

I agree. I think the European games are better suited to his style/skills than the physicals of PL.

It’s a funny game really. Leipzig has a good defense and a not so good attack while we have (on paper at least) a good attack and a not so good defense.

A good attack? Only on paper indeed… over the last ten games (excluding the Villa game in the FA Cup, which was against youngsters), we have scored ten goals, of which nine came in three games. In one word: horrible.

Our defence did ok until the Cheaty game: seven goals received in eight games (with Phillips in the side most of the times). Since then, we got seven goals in two games (no Phillips in the side).

3 Likes

Jürgen Klopp and a member of his squad will preview the Reds’ Champions League last-16 first-leg tie with RB Leipzig from the AXA Training Centre.

Watch Liverpool’s pre-match press conference live with us from 1.30pm GMT today.

2 Likes

The Reds will hold a pre-match workout at the AXA Training Centre from 12pm GMT prior to heading to Budapest for the last-16 first leg.

1 Like

Team selection will be entirely down to who isn’t on the treatment table this week.

With this being the (nominal) away match I would like us to concentrate on the defensive side of the game. I would favour starting Kabak again and pair him with whichever senior makeshift CB is fit. With luck that would be Fabinho.

Just as an aside - does anyone know how good Kabak’s English is? I’m assuming that his German must be OK but we do have a few choice accents in the team.

1 Like

It would appear that both matches will be played at neutral venues. As this is the ‘away’ match then it would make more sense to try and score a couple of goals.
That said, it’s all a load of bollocks and i couldn’t really care less about the whole shambolic thing.

4 Likes

Going out at this stage would be unthinkable now. It would effectively mean the end of our season and the further demoralising effect it would have on the team would probably end any hopes of finishing top four.

If we come through this , and then are able to get Jota and Fab back , and have at least one of the new boys established at CB , then things might start to look decidely rosier.

For that reason , it’s probably the most important game of the season so far.

5 Likes

We need Hendo in midfield IMO. Clearly there aren’t many options up top.

I’d even consider a 343.

Alisson
Kabak Phillips Davies (if fit)
TAA Gini Hendo Robertson
Salah Bobby Mane

1 Like
1 Like

Linders leading it . Naby Keita there as well. No Kelleher so he is obviously still injured.

1 Like

It looks that both games will be played in neutral place. If that’s the case I expect Leipzig
to play the first game very tide and try to win the second leg on away goals.

1 Like

Now would be a good time to do away with the away goals rule altogether. It outlived its purpose a long time ago.

2 Likes

It should at least be scrapped in extra time.

3 Likes

Ali
Trent Phillips Kabak Robbo
Gini Hendo Thiago
Shaq Salah Mane

1 Like

I don’t usually do line ups but i really want to see Henderson in the midfield. IMO, it’s the one change that could bring the whole team back to some sort of functioning unit again.

4 Likes
8 Likes