Pre Match | Southampton vs. Liverpool | PL Matchday 17 | Monday January 4th 20:00h | St. Mary’s Stadium

Playing nicely doesn’t win you games unfortunately.

1 Like

On the plus side, I do like Shaqiri’s lush new locks. He should be sponsored by Minoxidil.

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with who is playing, it’s our tactical approach…

Watford started this last season, most teams do a carbon copy (or the Fat Sam 7 man backline).

Narrow back four, FBs often stay home
CMs usually compact and close to D
Very little deep recycling and lateral passing, negating our press
Lots of early, vertical passes into channels, constantly turning our front 3, midfield 8s and FB’s

We don’t have an answer.

1 Like

mane one is one that has been given when we’ve been defending team. Given how regularly they’re given against us its about time we started getting them

1 Like

Great by Bobby

Sure, I am not saying we are playing anywhere near good enough. We are not , it was just that we looked far worse in the first half when Southampton was quite comfortable pushing us around as if we were youth players.

Soton broke and created a better chance than we have all game

1 Like

I used to see this approach from Juve when they had Pirlo running it. quick vertical ball into Pirlo who always had someone playing square off him. quickest way to break a press is 3-man pass

Like I said we won’t get a marginal call, the PL want a Manc side to win this one, either will do.

1 Like

i’m seeing more commitment than against newcastle, which is good, but we’re just not clicking

Perhaps only because we are one down

I’m about break my laptop. So fucking irritated

Sigh…

Lovely by Bobby. Really getting into this.

1 Like

First half I think we were arguably worse than against Newcastle as Southampton dominated us physically and we didn’t press them at all, but agree that this half we are making an effort. Still not currently good enough to create many dangerous situations in front of Southampton’s goal and they do look dangerous on their counters.

We just play into their hands, our patterns of play are so easy to spot… We eventually work it wide to cross it… Yes we get chances because Mane (in particular) is excellent at beating his man), but generally the cross gets blocked and we go nowhere or get countered.

As I said we need to change it up, try some shots from deep.

If we can’t test their second keeper we might as well give up.

It’s just all grown really stale. Inexplicable really. Silver lining, still miles to go in this season. But all quite puzzling at the moment.

6 Likes

The watford game with Hendo out and Lovren at the back? Of the league games we;ve lost in the past 3 yearrs Hendo’s only bit fit for one - the City game after we won the league where everyone was still shitfaced. Add into that how much our team dropped deep to unsuccessfully cover lovren (sound familiar?) and that loss is understood, as is the impact of who’s playing on the tactical approach we take.

That formation is one that every team plays against us. We usually have an answer. - we have won the most points for the past three calendar years. This season we havent been found out. We’ve been hamstrung by injuries.

1 Like

We have morphed into Wenger’s Arsenal trying to walk ball into the net.

3 Likes