Pre Match | Southampton vs. Liverpool | PL Matchday 17 | Monday January 4th 20:00h | St. Mary’s Stadium

It’s properly mental. It feels like national denial.

1 Like
1 Like

Why, what’s happened for it to be called off?

1 Like

Actually, the ostriches don’t do that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s just the escalating situation. A more virulent strain tearing through the country and seemingly nothing we can do about it.

1 Like

They aren’t ostriches. Have you not seen the people in charge of the FA and PL?

1 Like

If Southampton have followed all protocols, which they appear to have done, it seems less likely that there’s been further spread? I assume once the positive result was returned for McCarthy, there was another round of testing within Saints?

The major uncertainty I guess is from the false negative results, and the fact that people can be asymptomatic, therefore there could be others that have it but untraced.

I’m okay for the game to go ahead if the correct procedures have been adhered to, and the risk to our players is low - I accept that there will never be a zero risk for a while yet. I’d rather we not end up with loads of postponements resulting in fixture pileup later. Of course, playing this match could inadvertently kick off a spread and result in postponements anyway. It’s a very interesting dilemma, for which hopefully the call is made on whether the game goes ahead in the next couple of hours.

2 Likes

I personally think if the players on both sides have been recently tested then all is cool to go ahead. We didn’t stop the game when Thiago or Salah got covid. If we were playing City then I would say fuck them but this is a single case with no further teammate infections.

I am also cautious about reading too much into the reported virulence of the new strain. I’ll wait on proper studies.

1 Like
2 Likes

For me that would depend entirely on what testing was done at the time of McCarthy’s diagnosis and subsequently, along with a full understanding of who he’s been in contact with.

Just simply get all the info and quantify the risk.

2 Likes

Sooooo…important question: what decides which way the santa hat points?

3 Likes

Never mind. Looks random and changes every time there’s a new post.

3 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but the situation is rapidly worsening. We’ve also got the impact of Christmas and New year on the books in the next week or two.

At this point, as the NHS is crumpling, schools are closing and the death rate is continuing to spiral, going ahead with football just gives the wrong message to the country.

I also think that the new strain is much more virulent is no longer conjecture. I think that’s been confirmed now.

1 Like

It’s our new forum AI. We’ve programmed it to change the hats direction every time you’re objectively wrong about something. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Well my hat direction flipped when i hit refresh so the AI is still undecided.

4 Likes

My hat stood bolt upright looking at the Toyah clip in the Guitar thread…!
Must have a mind of its own eh :wink:

2 Likes

This is the most important game of the season, well at least it will be until the next one. It’s an absolutely must win game.

Over the past few weeks I have been somewhat disparaging in my remarks regarding PGMOL; some might say a tad unfairly. Well I intend to remedy that defect without further delay. PGMOL are without doubt, the finest collection of match officials that money can buy, especially if the money comes in the form of high denomination, used UAE Dirhams, enclosed in large manila envelopes.

Tonight we are blessed with andrea “barrow-boy” marriner as referee, whilst andy “dog botherer” madley is on VAR duty.

So, expect nothing from the ref, or VAR, and you won’t be disappointed.

Immediately prior to our previous game, I was informed by @Alright_Now, that my pre-match epistles, besides being tardy, were admitted with less than ecstatic critical acclaim. He went on to say that indeed, my efforts were less well received than the flowery verses that drip so eloquently from @PeachesEnRegalia’s pen.

Studying his remarks, I experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy’s Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day’s work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city’s reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty.

It was in this dark humour that I spent the next few hours composing a pithy rejoinder, a soliloquy full of earthy wit and arcane wisdom. I was particularly pleased with the paragraphs that ran along the lines of my earnest desire that @Alright_Now would be eaten by bears, like the children who made mock of the prophet Elisha.

Observing my labours, Boudica asked me what was up. I explained my predicament and she said much the same thing had bothered Hamlet. The Mem asked if she might peruse my treatise, and, having read it, looked away. Her attitude seemed to suggest that she had finished with me, and would be obliged if somebody would come and take me away.

She said it was one of the dullest things she had ever read, and that rather than wasting half a day writing it, composing a simple apology was all that was required.

On that note we turn to Lawro, a man with the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom. His pre-match prognostication, for tonight’s game is a 2 - 1 win for us.

Hopefully his attempted kiss of death won’t throw a spanner in the works and upset the apple-cart. :roll_eyes:

I’ll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :astonished:

19 Likes

I hadn’t noticed although, it makes the forums near unreadable on my phone. Also makes my wee dog look slightly more daft than usual.

2 Likes

Getting back to tonights line up .Surely Millie is fit and he is also capable of playing CB or MF allowing Hendo to play CB. I love to see the youngsters play and do well but Rhys and Nat have both looked short on pace and following two draws a win is surely pretty essential tonight to lift the teams morale. It looks unlikely that we will sign a new CB in Jan so we must use what we have and to me it seems a bit silly not to use the versatility of players like Hendo and Millie when we are quite well stocked in MF.

1 Like

…what?

9 Likes