Pre Match Thread : Liverpool vs Leeds United 12/09/2020; 17:30 BST

I should be counting down the days and hours before we get to Anfield for this one - but its more now about whether we watch it at home or in the pub…

I hate all this… but also glad its back.

Just a win and clean sheet… got this empty excited feeling, that is really excited but empty…

Mane with a brace, either side of a Salah hat trick, for a scrappy 2-1.

7 Likes

Hmmm… not sure the maths adds up there. :thinking:

7 Likes

You are being a bit cynical there… have some faith, trust the force.

4 Likes

The math in question is about as good as the science in the original movie “Star Wars” (now Episode IV: A New Hope).

Good movie (could have done better with the science).

2 Likes

Amazed how many people I know that are Leeds fans. All good old school football fans, not the sort of mouthy shirt buying fodder that the mancs have attracted over their years at the top.
I hope Leeds do well - after we batter them of course.

1 Like

Howdy folks, Big one this Leeds game, to win this game will set it up for the coming fixtures in arsenal-chelsea.
Debate weather Gomez starts or Matip, personally id ern on caution have Joel start, we have been here before with both these CB’S, nipping in front of each other weather’s due to injury or form.
Midfield conundrum with no Henderson do we start Milner with wijnaldum and fabinho or do we go creative with the likes of Naby or Minamino
both can play the advanced midfielder roll behind front three… playing at home I am confident we can get the three points.
I am excited and nervous, just want to get it on.

1 Like

I would take that in all 38 games. We need to break records. Maybe winning the league by scoring just 38 goals?

3 Likes
4 Likes

I was secretly hoping for that at the start of the 2013-14 season, when we beat Stoke, Villa and Manchester United by 1-0 scorelines in our first three games.

:joy:

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

I was 10 years old. I remember watching on the telly. That match was one of my formative memories (along with every episode of Fawlty Towers, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin and Benny Hill).
I remember hating Leeds, but being really confused why Keegan (my hero) took his shirt off.
And in retrospect he was almost in as good shape as Mo was when he took his short off after THE goal against Man U this season.
This is not how I thought my first post on TAN would go.

I’m just happy to be some place where free of @Alright_Now…oh crap…

8 Likes

Mignolet’s penalty save in the 1-0 beating of Stoke made that win even sweeter and was a prelude of the heart attack season to come

2 Likes

It’s been a weird old year with covid, and some other tumultuous things, which have cast a horrible shadow over many people.

I hope I’m not being too superficial now, but this is why we need distractions like football.

I nearly lost my brother to covid and I’m not downplaying the seriousness of life… we all know it can be a slog at times. So sign me up for the footy, for the mighty reds, for our amazing manager, for this great club, for our marvelous players…

It’s back. And I can’t wait.

5 Likes

Bostonmick, I waa too young to remember.
My Dad told there was a punch up between Keegan a Leeds player at a match, not sure if it was F.A Cup one, but it was a memorable one amongst the fans at that time watching live.

Does anyone who was remember it? I think Don Revie was the manager, not sure.

3 Likes

Not for me chief. I can live with not having to share a stadium with these cunts for another year. They are the only set of away fans I was ever weary of when leaving the ground at the end of the match, always kept my wits about me when walking down Anfield Road towards the Arkles.

1 Like

It was Billy Bremner, Charity Shield 1974.

3 Likes

Charity Shield 1974, one of my earlier memories of the Reds. Keegan got stitched up that day although he did stick one on Bremner. Apparently they made up straight away which I didn’t know until recently.
Those were the days we won Charity Shield games… :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Bielsa says all fit and available for us.

1 Like

It was a bizarre match. Watching it again the game is played very differently now. Johnny Giles punched Keegan in the face and only got a booking. There were flying and sliding tackles all over the pitch. Lots of blood and guts. But it went to pennos and the two goalies (Clemence and Harvey) were best of pals, smiling and hugging each other. Their goalie took a penalty and missed. It was more like an episode of “It’s a Knockout” than a football match.

PS - Maria its great to see you here!

5 Likes