PreGame | Crystal Palace - Liverpool | PL Matchday 25 | Saturday February 25th 19:45h | Selhurst Park

Why bother to post in these threads, then? You’re a broken record. There is more to life than wallowing in misery when following your club. It seems bizarre to spend so much time repeating “all hope is lost.” We get it. That’s how you feel about this season. You can move on without repeating it over and over again.

4 Likes

Well because it would appear people have short memories, I’m all for people being optimistic and spreading positivity yada yada yada but talking to the fans that actually watch us week in week out what have we actually shown for people to think top 4 is achievable? What’s a broken record is listening to fans every day on various platforms taking unrealistic expectations to a whole new level of absurdity.

Now I know a lot of people won’t like what I have to say even at the best times, my job here is not to please anyone and share popular opinions, I have my take on things and each are to their own.

Another really inconvenient kick-off time. Not just for me but also for the travelling Reds. If they go by train then they’ll have to get a spurt on to get to Euston from south London at that time of night.

Of course losing to RM like that was a massive kick in the balls, but the negativity on here is appalling. Have some faith FFS. It’s Crystal Palace. We can do this lot easily. Two nil, at least. Then again, maybe my optimism is due to not watching the Real match.

Anyway, my team as follows and Henderson is in only because Thiago is unavailable.
Alisson, Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robertson, Henderson, Bajcetic, Keita, Salah, Gakpo, Nunez.

1 Like

You’re entitled to your opinion, and as you said, others are entitled to their own.

But this is a match thread. People who post in these threads want to post about the upcoming match with a hopeful belief that their team will win. It comes of as needless for you to come into these threads with doom and gloom over and over again.

If you don’t think they’ll win, that’s your prerogative. I certainly don’t think you need to conform to any narrative about this club. But if you’re convinced this season is over, I don’t see why you bother to even post in the match thread, then. Are there not more productive uses of your time?

2 Likes

Obvious point number one. We’ve been crap for much of the season.
Obvious point number two. We just put two league wins together. In a sea of bad performances like the ones mentioned above, it put some hope back.
Obvious point number three. Win our two games in hand and we are one point behind Spurs in fourth place.

We have been shite. Mostly. No argument there. I’ve got eyes and I understand the game.

Equally, shite as we have been, top four is still not gone.

So that’s what I will hope for, until it is not possible.

4 Likes

Latest train back is 7.30pm so they’ve got no chance of heading back on the night.

At least someone is giving Phillips a chance :+1:
What does the lad have to do to prove himself to make the starting 11? You would have thought that he’d get a chance by now with Gomez’ and Matip’s erratic/poor performances.

1 Like

Fabinho, Henderson, Gomez need dropping. I’d be giving Robbo the afternoon off also.

I’d rather play kids than continually watch footballers fail at the very basics.

Yeah but look at all the attention he gets. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would play Henderson for 45 minutes then Naby or Curtis.

I disagree because I think Klopp needs to keep reinforcing the message that if you don’t perform you don’t get the play. One of my biggest gripes currently is players playing irrespective of form, this needs to stop or the complacency and underperforming culture which is rife at the club will continue. I get why he started Fabinho, Stefan and Hendo v’s Real, they were improving but then they just dropped off again. Again it raises the question what is the medical team telling Klopp about players fatigue levels? They didn’t even last the first half, they did 30mins…

Keita, Oxlade, Jones are all fit - We should be dropping players who can’t play 90 minutes at the intensity we need.

Nunez, Salah and Gakpo are forming a good understanding, what they need is a midfield behind them who will press and provide all game long.

Gomez should be dropped because his head went, you could see it when he went steaming into that tackle which lead to the free kick, from that point he simply forgot how to play football. You simply can’t afford that level of mental crisis happening at the top level. He needs taking out of the team for his own sake.

1 Like

Yep. If you plan to play someone with the plan already to remove him why start him in the first place. Rather have them on bench if need be. Start the ones who would actually perform for the whole 90

I would suggest dropping anyone for a this week fit Keita, Ox or Jones is seriously living on hope.

With the front 6 now returning, I’ll be tempted to go back to try 4-2-3-1 which seemed a rationale for our signings this season, but the 2 are going to rip that plan to shreds if we try.

Yours won’t stretch back a year, less.
When we were in the mix for four trophies.
No team EVER came as close…

Yes, this season has been awful, and the Madrid game was for me at least the nadir of a woeful period.
But you seem more content to bash the team than support? I promise myself that I won’t look at in match threads because you and a small group of naysayers are constantly on the players backs.
Its like you are finally vindicated by everything being shit.

I saw a picture of Leonhardsen in a Liverpool shirt this week. Thats when it was shit.
Now we have arguably the best manager in world football, definitely the best keeper and a smattering of world quality players.

Do we need to improve? Yes.
Is the season bad? Yes

Are you helping with your constant sniping?

No. A resounding fucking no.

11 Likes
  1. By same logic, what had we actually shown for people to think we could play even for 25 minutes with the intensity of old against Real Madrid?
    Or beat Newcastle away, who until then never lost to anyone there this season?
    Or keep back to back clean sheets in the league?
    Or convert chances, after totally convincing that we will not be able to finish and need own goals by opposition defenders, one of which was our top scorer in 2023 until recently…

The answer is small but clear signs of progress.
If from zero intensity we mustered 25 minutes of such intensity as to overwhelm Real for that spell of the game, it’s not as delusional as you suggest it is, to be hopeful that those 25 minutes can be increased to a full half next game, and if so, potentially 60 minutes the game after.
If we kept back to back clean sheets in the league, it’s not as delusional as you suggest it is, to be hopeful of extending that, or if not, then of repeating that.
If Nunez broke his duck with that sensational goal, it’s not as delusional as you suggest it is, to be hopeful this is the start of better finishes by Nunez…ditto for Gakpo.
Etc. etc.
Hope will often break your heart, and God knows that goes especially with this team. But it’s undescribable in its joy when it delivers. Try it man, what do you have to lose? You’re devastated anyway, even if you think reacting like that gives you joy and saves you from being heart broken…so it can only be up from there.

1. You have a job here ??? !!! :open_mouth:
3 Likes

Well kinda … he did apply to be a moderator.

he can moderate himself right into fuck-off territory. AnfieldRdDreamer got nothing on this guy.

We’ve not got to let Tuesday night derail our progress. I don’t really mind getting twatted by Madrid. We have to take our medicine and focus on the next opponents, who resolutely and definitively are not Real Madrid.

What we do need to do is look back on that experience and learn from it. The best team in the world turned up and gave us a lesson, so let’s learn it.

Firstly, let’s not fall into the same post hoc narrative as all the pundits and writers. This wasn’t a tactical masterclass by Ancelotti. Ancelotti’s plan was not to feel lucky it was only 2-0 on 25mins. It could have been four or five, and we are in again and again.

They clawed the game back, with a little good fortune, but ultimately because they know exactly what do in a football match whatever it throws at you and they absolutely do not panic. They know they good footballers, they know they can take chances when they come, and they Do. Not. Panic.

We on the other hand shit the bed. So starting Saturday I want to see this side show the game intelligence we know it has. They need to pick their moments. A quiet 10-15 minutes is fine if that’s want the game needs. We don’t need to panic if they score and we shouldn’t panic if we score either.

4 Likes

We’re still ‘processing his application’.

1 Like