PreMatch | Liverpool vs Luton Town | Wednesday February 21st 19:30h

If it’s PCL which is what I had at stage 2 then he’s out 6 months.

Stage 3 requires surgery. You can get around ok on it but yeah you can’t bend the knee. Jones could be anything in a boot even a twisted ankle would be a boot so hopefully not a long term thing.

The way Jota’s leg bent it does suggest medial ligament but that takes time as it is painful when you pass a ball side-foot or block tackle

Pick the best possible squad for this game. If the condition is favorable, some of the players can get an early break. Pick the best possible squad for the Cup final. We are into the final third of the season and it will be pretty relentless till the end of the season.

1 Like

Just glad we’ve got Endo and Mo back from the international tournaments to bolster our midfield and attack. Assuming Jones is out, we have Endo, Mac, Elliott, Gravenberch fit for the next few matches. Here’s hoping Dom and Trent return soon for the season run in.

2 Likes

Smash them. They’re shit.

4 Likes

None of our injured players will return for this one, right?

I don’t think Klopp ruled out Dom entirely but unlikely if he does train tomorrow then entirely possible he could make the bench.

Jones who knows how serious that is, same with Alisson.

Nunez if he was indeed injured could be around.

Edit: He had a maybe for Dom to play the cup final, if he does I assume we’d see him in training by Tuesday.

Alisson
TAA Matip X X
Szoboszlai Bajcetic Thiago
Doak Jota Nunez

For what its worth (likely nothing) the U18s have been playing a 3223 formation which is essentially our inverted RB system without having a RB. They just play CM.

2 Likes

That ex-blueshite Barclay will do his utmost to clog one of our players like he did in every derby he played in the fucking snide cunt.

1 Like

Interesting, what was their XI in that formation?

:slight_smile:

I’ve only seen it live once, the Blackburn game, but the commentary said its been a theme for the last few weeks.

Misciur
Airoboma Pitt Gyimah
Laffey Kelly
Pennington Ahmed
Morrison Figueroa Doherty

Laffey would drop into the back four at times and Airoboma push into RB. There is only one dedicated CB in that lineup, Pitt.

1 Like

If it was a choice between the best side we can put out, and some rotation, over the next two games, I would rotate for the Cup final.

I want to win the cup, but I want three Premier League points more. Hopefully we do both, mind.

Ideally we start with a strong side and hit the ground running against Luton, build up a good lead, and then shuffle the pack a bit around the 60-70 mark, with one eye on Wembley.

It’s football though, and you can’t necessarily plan for things to go as you want, as the other team has agency. Luton are fighting to stay up and while we have the better players, they will be organized and fully committed, so we have to be ready to battle.

3 Likes

Andy Madley is ref
Simon Hooper on VAR

No doubt two corrupt criminals who have a pathological hatred of scousers and are knee deep in the global conspiracy to destroy our club.

I see the majority here wants to play the best available XI against Luton ant then maybe rotate for the cup final. Well, the problem is that any “rotation” is in any case extremely limited due to injuries (and no one is likely to return before Sunday). Both in midfield and attack (presume Nunez will be available for the bench at least), we only have four available players for three positions - unless we see the likes of Clark or McConnell starting in either the League or the cup final (I do not think it will happen). So our most potent wholesome rotation between Wednesday and Sunday means at most one change in every department. Hardly a full rotation.

We already have three forced changes in the starting lineup - Salah and Gakpo for Jota and Nunez, Grav for Jones. Add to that Klopp might be wary of overusing young Bradley and hence start Gomez at RB (Bradley to get final 20 or so minutes there). That would make on paper (Bradley aside, but with no real dropoff in quality to Gomez) our arguably strongest starting XI at the moment.

The only question in my opinion is if Klopp might want to rotate as much as possible in midfield and thus start Elliott. He is in a decent form and Luton might just be the right opportunity for him to show he can start. Any other changes in the starting lineup are unlikely IMO.

1 Like

I think the idea of one game at a time is often overstated in football. Top managers are always planning a few fixtures down the line.

This is one case however, where it makes complete sense to just play what’s in front of us and worry about the cup final at half nine on Wednesday night.

Play the strongest team, try and get this done early, and then rest players late in the game.

Winning the cup is going to feel like a very Pyrrhic victory if we’ve just handed the title initiative back to City.

8 Likes

is it right that Salahs injured again or just twitter tittle tattle?

Salah injured again? Don’t talk silly.

As if we’d ever suffer another injury to a player who’s just come back after 1 game.

I agree that the amount of rotation we can do, however it works out, is limited right now, due to having a much smaller group available.

The pyrrhic victory thing is spot on too (great word). If we win the cup and hand the initiative back to Man City in the league, that would grate.

We can look at the remaining league games and try to imagine where Man City might drop points, but the problem is they are a machine when they get near the home stretch. They just had eleven wins on the spin, and a draw with Chelsea, while not completely unexpected, was a nice bonus we want to capitalize on.

We have our noses in front - just. Let’s keep it that way, starting with three points against Luton. Then we will see what’s what for the cup.