PreMatch | Liverpool - West Ham | PL Matchday 12 | Wednesday October 19th 19:30h | Anfield

Because he is rubbish…

3 games in a row might mean 3 months in sick bay…

Because he tends to get injured when he plays too many games on the bounce

Nunez in for Jota, Trent probably in for Milner. Don’t see the need for any other changes. Maybe Henderson for Fabinho.

Play the same system. Defend properly and with intensity again and we’ll win this one.

6 Likes

vs WHU

Alisson
Trent Gomez Vvd Robertson
Elliott Henderson Thiago Carvalho
Salah Nunez

vs Forest

Alisson
Trent Phillips VvD Tsimikas
Henderson Fabinho Jones
Salah Firmino Nunez

Maybe we should wait to see how the West Ham game goes before predicting/wishing an XI for Forest.

4 Likes

Strangely swings and roundabouts, defence looks relatively healthy again with one out and yet attack looks shaky (saying that if Ox can give us a month at worst it gives us the ability to change Firmino or one of the wide options and at best a rotation option (mainly in the middle).

Elliott is also the other option with Carvalho who I would start on the left, game time and also the fact his most recent experience is Championship attrition should stand him in good stead.

I know the desire to go back to 4-3-3 by some is high on the agenda but I can’t see it happening, adaptations on this current system perhaps such as a diamond or a solid 4-4-2 but otherwise I can’t see him switching from this, it’s evidently the reinvention Klopp suggested and it gives more natural options to what he has as a squad.

If he can get Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho on a rotation working in tandem with perhaps Jones and Milner adding cover and rest then it’s a problem solved certainly until January when we can potentially bring in a 4th which I assume is what will happen and they will be gradually introduced hopefully.

2 Likes

We don’t have a crystal clear starter for the left anymore, but we do have about 6-7 players who can do a job there (also depending on the formation). I don’t think we’ll see all of them, but we won’t see only 1 for sure. So we’ll see how it goes, from game to game; quality, style, form, fitness, opponent, experience, understanding with others, etc.

Few thoughts

1. we have to be careful with Gomez until Konate returns. Expecting him to be on bench vs Ajax and start vs Leeds

2. we can not risk injuries to Hendo, Fab and Thiago atm so we have to rotate every game until we can get some minutes from Curtis and maybe Naby at the end of the month.

Speaking of Curtis - I believe the formation change will suit him very much.

1. I’m expecting Klopp to do some rotation between Firmino, Darwin (and Salah) if possible or else we won’t have much firepower to bring on from bench.

Apart from three points and hopefully no injuries, I want to see two things grow as we go from here:

1. Better solidity
    Like everyone else, I can put up a team and suggest a system, but the main thing I want to see is some solidity in the side. We have played far too many games this season where opponents just seemed to cut through us at will. Against the toughest opponent out there, Man City, we restricted them to very few chances indeed. So, I’d like to see a solid team that does not give up many chances.

At the other end we have players who will usually create, or do something magical, or unexpected, and even if we have a couple of injuries right now to Diaz and Jota, we still have a few others we can look to. Which brings me to the second thing I want to see:

1. Salah and Nunez
    I really think that getting Salah and Nunez to play well together, when that’s in a front two, a front three, or a 4231, is key for us moving forward.

Mo started the season out of sorts, like most of them, and then tactically he looked adrift and isolated, too far out on the right.

Bringing him in towards the middle has given us a timely reminder of what a brilliant player he is. He is a fantastic goalscorer, and long may that continue.

It will be important for Nunez to learn to play with Salah, and vice versa. We have barely begun to see what Nunez can do, but I will be cheering him on and hoping that the understanding and interplay with Salah kicks on, as I think it will boost our prospects enormously.

Three points tomorrow please, and then on to Forest.

1 Like

4 Likes

2 new signings.

1 Like

or,

Halloween?

1 Like

Ok that’s our injury worries sorted then :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I’d love to have the guy on the right fit again in fairness.

6 Likes

Soon to be two departures.

:joy:

1 Like

Not sure I see the funny side, to be honest.

4 Likes

Neither do I, but a lot of toxicity is creeping into the fanbase. It’s really distasteful how people are mocking these two as though they actively wanted to be injured.

5 Likes

Awk dry up ffs. Sure it was just a bit o’ craic.

2 Likes

I didn’t read it as toxic, more a harmless quip.

When we signed Ox he was starting to have the look of a powerful midfielder, bursting through the lines and offering a threat with his shooting. (In addition to being able to play wider). The bad injury put paid to that and he hasn’t really been able to get going with us since.

When we signed Keita we were all made up. He was tearing it up in the Bundesliga, and while we have had some good moments from him, and he is undoubtedly a talented player, he just hasn’t been able to get himself on the pitch enough for us.

Neither injuries are the fault of the player, and of course they aren’t doing it on purpose and would rather be able to show their best.

That hasn’t happened so we all expect them to move on.

Between them it was nearly £100M worth in transfer fees, when that was a lot more money than now! They are both prime age and presumably were intended to bridge the gap we have between our old midfielders and kids coming through.

It hasn’t worked out and a reset is coming. No hard feelings to anyone, and good luck!

4 Likes

Yet again the team more or less picks itself because of injuries. Rinse and repeat.

I’d imagine Trent will start. Wouldn’t mind seeing some sort of diamond with Bobby at the tip and Mo and Nunez more central.

What’s going on with Konate? He was supposed to be a late fitness for City but wont even make this one FFS.

8 games between now and the WC. Jurgen and the medical team, if we have one, will have to be careful with the minutes some of these lads play.