PreMatch | Man City vs Liverpool | FA Cup Semi Final | Saturday April 16th 15:30h | Wembley

That covers the opening 5 minutes, but what about the other 85?

1 Like

We can’t play as badly as we did at their place and we can’t let them boss the midfield the way they did. Firmino’s a must start and I’d have Diaz starting too. Do to them what they did to us and just keep hitting Salah and Diaz with quick balls.

A win in this could have massive consequences for the other two competitions.

It’s got to be extremely heavy metal from us. Come on you mighty Reds !

5 Likes

I’m popping my Wembley cherry this weekend!

Excited Ric Flair GIF

10 Likes

Just read that KDB also got a knock? That could be massive for us if both he and Walker are out.

1 Like

Shitty coke-head mind games. Don’t believe it. KDB will play.

9 Likes

No it wasn’t a mind game, it was a description of the champions league match. Apparently he went off with a knock?

Didn’t watch it so I’m not sure.

1 Like

They’re bound to be knackered mentally after their game last night and against us. Need to smash them with the old heavy metal in first 15mins. Completely demoralise them and scare the shit out of them for the upcoming CL final

2 Likes

Speaking more in general now and not necessarily tied to this game (but can be also). Honestly, I wouldn’t mind Salah being dropped for a game here and there when he’s in such form and we have other players performing. I’m sorry, but it happens sometimes with other players, why not with him.

Im not overly concerned about Mo. Hes been playing well. We know hes pretty much a machine too. Think once he bangs one in, theyll come freely again. Hopefully starts on Sat.

2 Likes

Damn, City again…I both hate and love these games. Love them because of the quality and the approach of both teams. Hate them because they are capable of tearing us apart at any moment.

I always think Firmino should start against them, because of his defensive work and how he connects our team. I just think we look better collectively when he plays. Would like to see him and Diaz starting, with either Salah or Mane as the third.

Mainly though, I guess the big thing defensively is to press them better than last time. Which obviously is super tricky, because of how good they are at beating the press and passify opponents.

Sitting back for long periods isn’t the DNA of this Liverpool team, and I’m thinking maybe not really an option. So realistically, we either have to give them space in front of our defence or behind it. And if we assume Klopp wants the team to stay compact, it’s probably option 2.

So I guess it comes down to putting more pressure on the guy who plays it in behind, but without overcommitting and creating big gaps. Make it more difficult to play it through or over our defence.

And then in attack, use the ball better. Last time they were really good at disrupting our build-up, we need to protect the ball better this time, be better at breaking their press. For that reason, I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Jones or Elliott starting. Thiago for sure, then either Fabinho or Henderson as the third.

8 Likes

Deffo agree on Bobby & Diaz, they keep possession better than Sadio, Jota & Mo

Agree totally, players should earn their position on form

A little lost here as Mo has been far from playing well since the World cup loss

If City press as intensely as they did last Sunday then I will start to wonder what Pep is putting in their tea. They tired in the second half and they were knackered again last night. I watched the last 20 minutes of the Atletico game and they were really hanging on. Walker injured. De Bruyne possibly too. They don’t have that deep a squad so not much room for rotation either.

I’m not expecting this to be anything like as intense for us as the Sunday game. Also, it will feel more like a home game. Say what you like about the City fans but they were really up for it last Sunday. They hate us with a passion and that was a hostile atmosphere to play in. I did think it affected us first half.

I like to think we will sit a bit deeper, expose their lack of cutting edge and pick them off on the counter. That’s what every other team that’s beaten City this season has done. But I expect JK will stick to his principles and go toe to toe in which case it will be another long, nerve-shredding afternoon. I am more confident about this one than I was Sunday but we have to be smarter about how we manage the game. Not conceding an early goal is a must.

6 Likes

He’s hardly been playing badly either. He’s getting into the correct positions, getting shots off, keeping defenders occupied, got an important assist on Sunday.

Considering the amount of minutes he’s had this season, and the likely strain of his international escapades, I’ve no problem with him not scoring freely for a short period of time, especially if we are winning games and he’s contributing (even if that isn’t ticks in goals/assist stats). When we’ve seen these funks before from Mo, once he breaks the duck, normal service is resumed.

I’ve no problem with him not starting Sat, or the following game - the squad is deep, and packed full of quality, but he’ll be involved still (even if from the bench). We need all of the players right now.

So yeah, I’m not concerned.

3 Likes

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel,formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :+1: :nerd_face:

4 Likes

City played a very tiring game of more than 100 minutes yesterday, their players suffered quite a few knocks as well, which should affect their performance to some extent especially in the second half. I still expect KDB to be cleared to play on Saturday, but it is already a boost if he is not at his 100%. So we should torment them with intensity and keep the pace with the subs used (there are 5 available!) as we, for the first time in a decade, arguably have a better squad depth than City. It is time to use it.

I agree Matip is a better fit for City in general. But we all know his main issue is durability. The highest amount of minutes in a Liverpool shirt ever this season was accomplished by managing his game time: he almost never plays 3 games in a row. Whenever he played full 90 minutes for three games in a row this season, the games were scheduled in 8 days (Saturday-Wednesday-Sunday). A third full game in just 6 days (including two intense games v. City) might be too much for him. But it could be a risk worth taking this time around. If not, I would probably prefer Gomez partnering VVD than Konate.

Many of you are calling for Keita to start alongside Fab and Thiago. But I think Hendo just needs to start in matches like this one. Moreover, Keita is the only midfield option off the bench to keep intensity level high enough in my opinion. Mind you, there are 5 subs available and we can expect the intensity throughout the game maintained by midfield changes in particular, likely at least 2 changes in midfield between 60- and 70-minute mark. And I guess you do not want both Hendo and Millie/Jones coming off the bench at the same time and playing together until the end? I would thus prefer Keita to be an option off the bench.

I hope Firmino starts in attack. We lost the battle at Etihad in midfield and Bobby acts as an additional midfield player who also provides a link between midfield and the forward line. Mo and Diaz to accompany him.

I’d be going with Salah Mane and Diaz for this one. An argument for Firmino over Mane but I think that’s our best front 3.

Mane’s a nice compromise between Firmino and Jota. Not as good as Bobby dropping deep but noticeably better than Jota.

If Kyle Wanker is out that removes City’s get out of jail card on the counter attack. That front 3 will get plenty of opportunities to punish them.

1 Like

Yeah if Walker is out then we’ll see what they do. I guess it would be between two options:

Cancelo RB, Ake or Zinchenko LB.
Stones RB, Dias RCB, Cancelo LB.

We can probably read a fair bit in to the starting lineup from last night’s team sheet.

I was surprised that Matip played the whole game but aside from that I think will see Robbo-VVD-Matip-Trent at the back.

Keïta played the whole game so I’d go for Fabhino, Thiago and Hendo in the middle.

Front three is trickier but Mané-Jota-Salah would be no surprise,

1 Like