PreMatch | Nottingham Forest vs Liverpool | FA Cup Quarter Final | Sunday March 20th 18:00h | City Ground

I’m sure that Jürgen and his team will know the personnel, formation and tactics to see us through this game. COYR YNWA :nerd_face:

7 Likes

2006: Champions

2007: Third round, 2008: Fifth round, 2009: Fourth round, 2010: Third round, 2011: Third round, 2012: Runner-up, 2013: Fourth round, 2014: Fifth round, 2015: Semi-finals, 2016: Fourth round, 2017: Fourth round, 2018: Fourth round, 2019: Third round, 2020: Fifth round, 2021: Fourth round.

This is just our fourth QF in 16 years and second one in seven years, set the records straight lads.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the team will be something like.

Kelleher
Trent Konate Gomez Tsimikas
Milner
Jones Keita
Elliot Firmino Jota

It’s not just about winning the cup. It’s also about keeping players 12-20 ticking over, because we might just need them. Using the squad here isn’t just for their benefit.

3 Likes

Yeah, we have the subs to put the game to bed if need be. I’d also give the squaddies a run out.

1 Like

Whatever happens I would be surprised if we see Alisson, Van Dijk, Robbo, Thiago, Hendo, Fab, Salah, Mane or Diaz in the starting line up.

1 Like

I reckon more than a few will also miss out on the squad altogether.

It really annoys me, the idea that we play 4-5 academy players out of spite or throwing the match or something. We have always had the same approach, that is to rotate, and to give some players a complete rest. It just so happens that often when the cups roll around, our available selection is barebones, and you don’t want to exacerbate the problem, so you end up playing more kids.

1 Like

How many of our players will be involved during the international break? I know Robbo is off now that the Scotland vs Ukraine match has been postponed. England have games but I expect they won’t pick any of our English lads unless they want to break them. Brazil definitely have games.

My thinking is that we want to go strong but rest those that are likely to be on international duty. So I’m thinking Kelleher for Ali, Robbo over Tsimikas, Matip and Konate in the middle; Trent because England will mess him around regardless and I would leave Salah and Mane on the bench because they have some big games coming up.

TBH, I don’t know much about Forest these days. In the 1980s Liverpool vs Forest was one of my favourite fixtures. There were some brilliant games. And then there was Hillsborough, in a cup tie. I’m finding it hard to look at this fixture and get past that. I’m just hoping that the game is memorable for the right reasons - I can still feel that rush of adrenaline from the league game at Anfield in 1982. I hope that’s what they can come up with.

3 Likes

Bit odd Elliott is going upfront in so many set ups when he hasn’t played in that role this season for us.

Jota and Firmino will play, 54 minutes was earlier for our attackers so I’d be surprised if they don’t.

There is a fair few playing friendlies, England and Holland are playing, Brazil are through so will probably rotate. Scotland are the anomaly as their match has been cancelled for now.

2 Likes

Back 5 changed.

I’d have Henderson as the 6 with Jones and Keita ahead.

Jota and Firmino need minutes. Taki or Origi with them.

Plenty of changes, but not quite a league cup team.

1 Like

If Elliott starts I’d think it will be in midfield. And it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Trent rested. Maybe Jurgen will go for something like this, although there is no obvious number 6 in that midfield 3.

Kelleher
Milner Konate Gomez Tsimikas
Elliott Jones Keita
Minamino Firmino Jota

2 Likes

Regarding the international matches I highly doubt certain players are going away without explicit instructions from Klopp that their playing time is limited

1 Like

With current contractual issues, I would be really interested to see what he can do in that RW role.

But you are probably right. Klopp turned to Oxlade-Chamberlain when Salah was away.

3 Likes

I thought that I read somewhere that Scotland and Poland had arranged a friendly/charity match with proceeds going to relief for Ukraine?
COYR YNWA :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I do think we have to place Hendo in that number 6 role if we rest Fabinho so it does give us a bit of a headache with Jones and Elliott as you would think Keita would start too.

Anyhow Klopp’s our man he knows best

1 Like

Do charity matches mean playing players for 94 minutes and appear to have an injury?

Sad I feel that way but I do anyhow it’s likely Robbo misses this if Tsimkas is back from illness and it’s only one game in the 2 week break not two.

1 Like

Milner as the number 6 and Bradley at right back maybe.
Doubt that’ll happen - we haven’t seen Bradley in a while.
The problem positions in getting the balance right between going strong and rotating the squad is right back and holding midfield.

1 Like

Nah I think he will start Trent and probably Hendo, maybe Milner actually come to think of it.

I’d rest VVD, Matip, Robbo (due to the quality we have), Salah (due to that injury) and Mane.

Rest I’m not too bothered with though be nice if Kelleher starts.

These cup team selections in here are always weaker than what managers go for.

I guess it’s just fan fear over injuries, but we cannot know how ready they are or not.

I expect changes, but a serious team to go through.

1 Like

Yeah, the manager will have the data on fitness and everything else he will be able to decide who can play and who it is a risk for.

Looks like you are right: Scotland to play Poland friendly after Ukraine postponement - BBC Sport
Well, at least that’s one to look forward to.