Premier League 2020/21 (Part 1)

Fulham are terrible and Parker looks completely out of his depth. Worst of all, in his post game he sounded almost like Michael Crawford.

5 Likes

Yeah I think Parker might be the first out, he is clueless at this level and I donā€™t think he was amazing at Championship level.

4 Likes

My guess was Moyes, but that looks more likely at the moment.

I donā€™t watch Championship (and the teams in the cups that Iā€™ve watched usually look decent), but were Fulham really one of the best teams there, they look inadequate defensively?

1 Like

They were bang average all season really, the league shows they were closer but Leeds had a sticky patch as did WBA they werenā€™t near them at all, Brentford deserved it but they bottled it.

It felt like a three team league and they were the 4th.

3 Likes

They essentially got promoted by mistake.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see how Leicester went right into a low block. Never seen that before from Rodgers. Celtic fans used to tear their hair out when he tried to play football against Barca and PSG, like they somehow might have done better against those clubs in a low blockā€¦not! Weā€™ll all know that a low block doesnā€™t work against City. Heck, Rodgers played football against City in 2016 with that overmatched Celtic side, claiming 40% of the ball while earning draws at the Etihad and Parkhead. What I thought was even more curious is how Leicester still werenā€™t bothered to have the ball even as City became rattled. Even up 1 - 3 they let City have the ball. Again, not the tactic you would expect him to use. They only had 28% of the football in the entire match. And drubbed City. There might be some truth in that it says more about City than it does about Leicester. Pretty sweet victory, though. I think heā€™ll take that over Stoke, which really was the beginning of the end here.**

1 Like

The other thing about Leicester is what happens when Vardyā€™s expiration date comes up? That club has done very well finding quality, affordable players, Castagne being the latest example. What a pass to Vardy for that cheeky second goal. But, I mean, they basically found one of the worldā€™s great strikers in a garbage heap somewhere, it seems. Deal of the Century. Most of their success since '14 came through him. Hell, the biggest tactical change Brendan Rodgers made was focusing the attack around Vardy again. Somehow, Claude Puel couldnā€™t figure that out.

Vardyā€™ll be 34 in January. Heā€™s still speedy. What happens when he ages out is the biggest question hanging over that club.

7 Likes

I had him as a dark horse coming up on the rails in third place. But I think heā€™s in the lead by half a length now. Heā€™ll be gone before halloween.

3 Likes

Watching the smaller teams fight sitting on top :sunglasses:

5 Likes

To be fair to Arteta he hasnā€™t had the budget of a small government department to spend on his team.

As much as fans donā€™t want to see the bigger picture of a game, Mane is through, i would have backed him to put that past Kepa 9 out of 10 times. Chelsea would have then had to open up as they did which would have given us more space. They couldnā€™t defend with 10 men for 5 minutes.

Itā€™s like the Garcia ghost goal in the CL, regardless whether itā€™s in Chelsea would have conceded a penalty and maybe seen their player sent off, they were in a worse position had it not been given, and would have spent the same 90 minutes not putting a single shot on target as they did.

1 Like

Can somebody please explain to a poor ignoramus just why it is that linesmen arenā€™t raising their flags now straightaway when an offside is spotted but rather letting play continue ?

(I just saw Kloppā€™s post-match comments about how only one of Arsenalā€™s breakaways was actually onside.)

1 Like

That was a rule change of a few years ago, where the play is only stopped when the offside player actually is involved with the play. It actually forces the defender to be careful about playing a ball, donā€™t particularly like it. It is well hated in the Over 35 divisions, where it allows people to run pointlessly.

3 Likes

Thiago has tested positive for Coronavirus.

1 Like

At some point a player is going to get injured stretching for a tackle they didnā€™t make because the attacker was offside.

this was pretty widely suspected

upcoming international matches should obviously be scrapped, and obviously wonā€™t be

1 Like

Cheers for that !

1 Like

No ManƩ :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh bollox , hope heā€™s ok.

Explains his alleged injury.

Just hope it has no lasting effects.