Premier League 2020/21 (Part 1)

I think we all guessed… With the timings and the return date.

1 Like

It’s even more than that. It is because of the interaction with VAR. They are being told to only flag in real time ones that are incredibly obvious, because if they get it wrong and the ref calls it, VAR cannot intervene, but VAR can always call it back the other way.

1 Like

It’s almost like he actively avoids watching football.

5 Likes

Yes, we noticed it a lot more as spectators after the interaction with VAR, because attacking players in particular adjusted pre-VAR to just stop play more or less knowing it was going to be blown offside. That sort of stopped when the referees started making adjustments around VAR, now you see attackers chasing more again.

1 Like

With the timing, I hope no one else in the side develops it. At a guess, he probably contracted it in France, and likely has had contact with LFC teammates since.

1 Like

On flagging for offside, it needs to go back to an early raised flag. I think there is great injury risk to a player to put in a fast sprint, and maybe a stretch or lunge to try to do some last ditch defending… to stop something that should never have progressed.

On VAR I think it needs reform, too. The ref should just ref the game as he wants to, but I would let each manager have two challenges they can use if something happens that they consider to be a clear and obvious error that was missed.

On Garth’s team on the Beeb, obviously the fella is eccentric, in the best British sense, but what he did get spot on was the comment at the end, about the penalty rule needing to be changed.

What the heck is wrong with football? These things used to be known and understood, but a little tinkering here and there is sowing way too much confusion.

The game will never be perfect. Allow two challenges for VAR review from each manager.
Handball was clear before, leave it alone.
And raise your flag lino, to stop a whole lot of unnecessary bother from developing.

Pah!

2 Likes

The international break might actually come at a good time for once

1 Like

Did you read the text?

Bruno got in because he took a good penalty.

That is it. Forreal.

FFS…I am baffled this man gets paid for his opinions.

5 Likes

Premier League already realizing that they have over reacted in their attempt to align with IFAB on handball and from this weekend will now be encouraging a more lenient interpretation of handball.

Still pretty much zero discretion for cases like Dier’s where the hand is above the shoulder, but for cases like Ward’s where the it’s down by his side it will be a lot more discretionary…more leeway for the naturalness and expectedness of the arm in relation to the body, and consideration given for the ability to get your hand out of the way. Basically we’re now going back to last season’s interpretation and everyone will piss and moan next weekend as well.

7 Likes

probably a matter of time when an attacker gets into the oppositions penalty box but doesn’t aim for the goal but aims for the hands/arms of the defenders to get a penalty. This new handball rule seriously needs to change

1 Like

Mane literally did this in the CL final against Spurs. Don’t knock it m8.

6 Likes

Yeah but if you’ve got your arm that high I’d question why it’s there, I don’t want handballs for the ones at the side but I do wonder why someone’s arm is so unnatural sometimes.

Like the Leeds one earlier in the season, the guys got his arm out doubling the width of his body I don’t care if it took a slight deflection, why the hell is it out that far, and secondary he actually made some slight movement towards the ball that the talking tossers on sky failed to notice

1 Like

… I’m struggling to resist the urge…it’s just too much of an easy get…

2 Likes

It really is pathetic, and I was being generous with the word ‘run’. I have seen someone talk themselves into a red raging about the rule and the (correct) call. One of those moments when you ask yourself what the hell you are doing being anywhere near it.

2 Likes

10 Likes

:eggplant:

Parker at Fulham,he scott no chance of lasting this month.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how Brentford managed to lose that playoff against Fulham??? :exploding_head:

I don’t think they will ever understand how they blew it, they went into those last two games with advantage and one win in the end would have done it but they contrived to draw and lose.

It would have been ok if they hadn’t when chasing won their last 6 if I remember rightly.

They need to try and go up automatically this season though their start hasn’t been great.

1 Like

Surely that’s wrong.

Solskjaer has the money - after all, they’re paying half a million a week just to their two goalies.
Solskjaer has a plan - keep splashing the cash until something sticks.

And long may the fun continue.

2 Likes