Premier League 2022/23 (Part 1)

I’d prefer the PL

1 Like

Same but I’d take one at the very least.

PL and/or CL. The other trophies don’t really count.

Yeah you could tell that by the victory parade, hardly anyone showing up. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

:100:

We’ve got to actually win a game before we start dreaming of titles

2 Likes

Klopp has already said top 4 is the target.

Already stopped. To be honest this cheaty team have sucked the enjoyment right out of any ‘title chase’ after last year.

1 Like

As I’ve posted elsewhere, City would have three titles fewer to their name and we would have three more if the referees applied the laws of the game equally.

5 Likes

Exhibit # 1: Paul Tierney. :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Disappointed with our start of the season.

The injuries at this very early point of the season are probably even worse than if it would have happened after 10 games or so.

We now have to find our flow and start a run.

Real shame because in terms of pressing the first 30 minutes yesterday were probably the best of the last two years.

2 Likes

Wolves agree 42m fee for Nunes

Well, waking up to this from The Athletic is doing my mood no favours:

“Down to 10 men and losing 1-0, a draw is a good outcome, right? Wrong.

As Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher said after Liverpool’s draw with Crystal Palace at Anfield on Monday, “Draws are defeats now."

This is the three-point pressure of the modern Premier League title race. Every missed win could be the difference.

Liverpool have missed two chances for maximum points, starting the season with draws against Fulham and Palace. Manchester City have missed none: their season has kicked off with wins against West Ham and Bournemouth.

There are 36 games to go, but when you lose out on two Premier League titles by one point, as Liverpool have in recent seasons, that three-point pressure is there from the first match and will build exponentially.”

1 Like

Carra is right, but on the other hand, the gap was much greater last season and it went to the last game.

The key right now is to not let them get out of sight, and to start to get some wins on the board. It could all change quickly, even in the next game - Newcastle might take something from them, and we might beat Man Utd, and all of a sudden it is only 2 points.

There’s much more to come from this Liverpool team, but it appears we are in the middle of a bit of a reset, with the strikers being refreshed, and indeed the shuffling of the midfield starting already, with integrating younger players.

Top four might well be the target as Klopp said, but I think that was mostly to downplay expectations and let the team settle down a bit.

6 Likes

The world cup is a massive known unknown. Teams will be required to get back to it with just 8 days gap between the final and first round of post-tournament games. It’s not just a physical thing, but an emotional one with players either coming back on an emotional high or low and not entirely focused. No one knows how any team is going to be affected by it, but it means that no one should be treating any gap as too big to close prior to the world cup.

2 Likes

It depends who the team are, who you’re facing and where you are in the table/what you’re ambitions are.

For a club like Liverpool who strive to win every game, yes it’s 2 points dropped.

But on the flip side you can only really look back after the season, we could win the league by a point for a change with City’s GD being better than ours.

So are City with Sterling, Jesus, to a lesser extent Fernandinho gone and Haaland in but Mané was more important to us overall than the players they lost.

I feel like the break is a huge advantage to us. We have far fewer players going to the finals than City. Klopp essentially gets a second pre-season with his lads.

Assuming they don’t miss out through injury we will lose 8 for sure, with Gomez, Konate and Thiago outside shouts to add to that. That still leaves us more or less a full team to rely on to play in that first Dec game who were not involved in the WC at all.

City’s worse case scenario is that every single senior outfield player who has so far been commonly used will be gone with the exception of Haaland and Mahrez. There isnt much of an expectation for any of them to come home early either.

Fixed it for truth

1 Like