Premier League 2022/23 (Part 1)

It’s not just him. His cronies are sharks as well.

Watching MOTD here. Joke that ref gave that red for Trippier. The kind of professional foul that Fernandinho committed 3 times per game

3 Likes

Is that ref…one of the new bods who are covering PL.

Should have been a pen against Stones too

3 Likes

Wait what? ManC dropped points? How can this be? After listening to all the punditry over the past two weeks, I was sure our season was over by mid August!

2 Likes

Arsenal have won the title instead.

3 Likes

He got his work permit for us the same summer we sold him.

3 Likes

It should, City got away with a fewthings yesterday. A point they really never deserved.

2 Likes

A properly titled article about that game:

6 Likes

Worth pointing out this is the second weekend in a row in which Vardy has dived to try to win a penalty. Last weekend he went down under no contact and had to have VAR over rule it and this weekend he did that thing of sticking his leg in he way of a defender to create contact, which was ignored by the ref and bolstered by VAR.

2 Likes

Still convinced that this is our strongest squad ever.

Klopp banked of one of Thiago and Keita always being available - that was at least questionable.

Fake fans, pundits and journalists coming out of their holes and questioning everything Klopp has done for this club.

The Fulham draw can happen but I am convinced that with one or two senior players more available we beat Palace and ManU.

We have roundabout 10 injuries at the start of the season. But it’s too early to write anything off.

5 Likes

We got a strong squad but in midfield we are suspect unless Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson are all fit and on form.

Neil Jones on Liverpool:

“Klopp and his players would dismiss the idea, one suspects, but you have to wonder how much last season, with its highs and lows, its relentless intensity and its heartbreaking conclusion, took out of Liverpool.”

“It would be understandable, inevitable even, if there was some kind of hangover. When you dig so deep for so long - 63 games, all of them vital and on a knife-edge - it can’t be easy to simply dust yourself off and go again, however driven, fit or professional you are.”

“Last season ended in pain for the Reds. They missed out on the two prizes they wanted more than any other, and while a post-season trophy parade in the city may have lifted spirits, they would not be human if they didn’t wonder whether 2021-22 was as good as it gets.”

“They only dropped 22 points in the whole of last season, but they’ve let seven slip already this time around and can ill-afford to lose more ground in the coming weeks.”

“The flip side is that if any side has shown itself capable of dragging themselves out of a hole and putting a run together in recent years, it’s Liverpool.”

Bullshit. The season before with all the injuries took more out of the squad and we went of to have a phenomenal 21/22 season.

1 Like

John Aldridge on last night:

“We all know the history between the two clubs and the hatred - and it is hatred - all their players say they hate Liverpool. It’s the one that you want to win. For us to really not turn up is so disappointing.”

“The worst factor for me was that they wanted it more than us and even more galling is that we’ve given them a platform to build on. All of a sudden their season can turn around. I’ve seen it happen before.”

“We let ourselves down. I can’t believe what I was watching on their first goal, from every perspective. The second goal - I can’t believe that it’s not offside - but you’ve just got to take it on the chin.”

Bullshit by Aldo

“Liverpool don’t just need a short-term fix until the cavalry return, they need another elite midfielder full stop. They can’t just sit tight until next summer. Money needs to be invested.”

[James Pearce]

They are coming out of their holes.

Injuries create a different mentality. I think there is something real there. I don’t know if it is ‘as good as it gets’, but a real fatigue seems quite possible.

4 Likes

I agree with the first and third.

I don’t think it launches their season, we were very poor, worse than Fulham or Palace and yet you can easily suggest that on another night we get something out of that. I think that’s the positive as crap as we have been we could be better off and you could suggest in other seasons it has actually been the case that season of 1-0 wins to start was pretty bad performance wise, but we scraped results and pushed on.

2 Likes

I agree with all three points, if not entirely, then at least in part.

Neil Jones, hangover from going so close last season. That might be part of it, especially after a shorter preseason, less time to process the disappointment and move on. Obviously not the only factor, but something to consider.

Aldo saying you don’t want to lose that one to your bitter rivals, and lamenting how we were outfought, seemed fair comment.

Pearce saying we need a midfielder is spot on too. It needs a refresh, one now, one next summer.

8 Likes

I wonder how much pushing a boulder up a hill effects people, when every attempt has the hill being heightened a bit.

2 Likes

They key to those results was a rock solid defence. We nullified the other team, absorbed their attacks, got our goal, saw the game out. As Jürgen has said before, defence first. That means midfield working in unison by filling gaps when fullbacks go up and pressuring the opponents into coughing up possession. Same goes for forward press.

None of that is happening right now

1 Like