Premier League 2022/23 (Part 1)

Probably gives them false hope…will be funny if they lose their next game 3-0 :rofl:

2 Likes

Can’t stand James Pearce.

Am sure he’s a big fan of yours

Didn’t ask.

Such an amazing insight James, thank you.

But we will sit tight until next summer because that’s how we operate under the current regime. “right player at the right time” and all that bollocks, i.e we wait.

That’s right. The thing about those 1-0 wins is that we had good game management in that spell. We would do the high press at times, go all out, swarm them, and then we would also drop a few yards back and just pass the ball around.

So much so, that people would get bored in the in-match thread and start complaining about the need to get a second goal, despite our defensive record being something crazy like three goals against in fifteen games.

In that opening 30 mins against Man Utd, we kept trying to force the ball forward, with our players responding by making forward runs, but then we’d get caught out in the transition.

That bit of nous is missing. If the opposition are on top, disrupt them by passing the ball around safely for a couple of mins (and keep in shape while doing so). Then after a few mins, revert to whatever the original game plan is.

3 Likes

Bruce Grobbelaar on how he secretly helped Liverpool’s win the title in 2020:

“In Africa, if the pitch was cursed then you peed on the posts. So when I came back to live in England, I was asked to play in the corporate game at Anfield.”

Grobbelaar: “[I was told], ‘You’ve got to finally lift the curse’. So I peed in a bottle, poured it all down the posts and crossbar at both ends, and saved a penalty at the Anfield Road End. Then the Reds went on an undefeated run at Anfield and won the Premier League!”
We need Bruce to come and piss on all our injured players…:joy:

2 Likes

It’s a big job, he’ll need to drink more than two litres of water a day.

2 Likes

2 litres just for Naby.

2 Likes

2 gallons for Ox :ox:

2 Likes

Would that be drinking 2 gallons of water, or needing 2 gallons of piss for Ox?

1 Like

@Nobluff I did it the two previous seasons, but I now just pop on from time to time.

@Prolix did a great job last season and glad to see he is carrying the torch again.

2 Likes

I’m glad someone set it up again, it did cross my mind something was missing :wink:

“ Newcastle’s transfer record is the £40m they paid for Joelinton in 2019.”

£40M for Joelinton who does hardly anything! WTF!

Well…I say that but we paid £40 for Ox and £55 for Naby

Joelinton has sneakily turned into a very effective hard working CM. A bit of a Gini…arrived with an expectation he’d be a key attacking player and instead turned into more of a Yeoman, but a good one.

4 Likes

I wish that is all we had paid for them, unfair but.

1 Like

Joelinton and Guimares is a good midfield partnership. The latter has more quality, but Joelinton is all action, getting stuck in everywhere. The Barcodes have stumbled onto something there.

The new owners - ugh - arrived and started talking about a long term plan, but they are getting after it quickly. Their recruitment has been good, and they have a great chance of being the best of the rest this season.

You can never be sure, but if we say the top five, in no particular order, is going to be Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal, then Newcastle have a good chance of finishing 6th or 7th, depending on how Ten Hag turns it around at Man Utd.

With the energy crisis now in full swing, would it not be a good idea for the PL to adjust kick off times to minimise floodlight use? It might not save much in the grand scheme of things, but would be a symbolic move at a time when we are all going to have to tighten our belts.

9 Likes

This tells you why they won’t do it.

4 Likes

Not a chance the TV companies decide to sack off evening games - that’s where the money is made. The PL and the clubs have no say in it - the TV money dictates all.

3 Likes