Premier League 2023/24 (Part 2)

you simply are refusing to understand? they don’t want to know after the event. The information is there. it can be dealt with. they can know before the Olympics takes place. They get their moment. They get to compete.

It is not difficult. :joy:

edit @redfanman loves ya really mate

i was asked why i think what i think. we’ve competed. We fell a bit short. This is a better outcome than having lived in misery/regret for 10 years or something for no reason and by the way they have been found to have broken the rules but you ll get nothing for that as we don’t have a time machine… Thinking about it from a mental health point of view.

I am probably not conveying that mental health aspect clear enough.

First things first. You need the truth of what happened. Then let the cards fall where they may.

The enormous dissatisfaction felt across football now is due to an aching sense that the [almost perpetual] victors have done it by foul means.

Let the truth come out and then we will deal with it.

If we, and others have been robbed, then of course it won’t feel good! But even at that point, let the cards fall where they may, whether that is titles stripped, re-awarded, points deducted, relegation, transfer ban, financial recompense to teams that were cheated, etc.

It’s a giant mess if they are found guilty, but if that’s what has happened, let’s get it established and take it from there. That path is much better than the current one, where the whiff of foul play has undermined the whole thing for years now.

1 Like

As long as football looks after the players and doesn’t just provide the outcome and leave it at that. People will deal with it in different ways. This should have been dealt with season in season out. instead we have stupid 3 years rule. We as supporters have all made different sacrifices. Devoted time we could have devoted elsewhere to watch what could be the financial version of lance armstrong. Let’s hope that it has not been the case. we only get so much bastard time on earth and not only could i have been watching it … i am now wasting my time debating the ins and outs of the bullshit.

IF i wasn’t angry before. I am now i have read about @Arminius being cheated.

I’d love for Cheaty to be labelled the cheatingest cheats that ever cheated.

And I totally wouldn’t rub it in wherever and whenever possible. Honest.

5 Likes

Late 80s, steroids were everywhere in university sport. They were banned in 1983, but Canadian university sport did not actually start any testing at all until 1990. It is sort of amazing that a 1989 case was even able to move forward. A confidential survey of (gridiron) football found about a third of all athletes using anabolics, with that figure rising to an estimated 75-90% of linemen. It meant that to hold down a starting line position, unless you were incredibly physically gifted, you needed to be using. Players were forced to compromise their long-term health to participate, reaching the extreme of Lyle Alzado’s death.

That is really the prism through which I look at the financial issue. Clubs are forced to spend at astronomical and unsustainable levels simply to stay in the competition - first the PL, but now even the CH. At some point, one of the big traditional clubs will just die. Right now, that looks like there is a non-trivial chance that it is Everton.

2 Likes

I think you are arguing a different point than you think you are. You seem to be think it would be better for the game if it is determined that City didn’t cheat, in part because that revelation is obviously bad for the credibility of the competition and in part because it does nothing to find out now so far down the line. I can definitely understand that perspective.

But what about the world we are living in where they did cheat? The fact it would have been better for 1) it not to happen, and 2) the authorities to catch it real time, doesnt really change the need to address it once the violations are found and demonstrated.

It does raise a good point that whatever financial restrictions we have should be managed more proactively (similar to the way they do it in Spain), rather than giving clubs the room to cheat and then punishing them afterwards. But even if you put that in place a case of fraud that was perpetuated to get around these rules is still never going to be caught in real time

3 Likes

I’d love for their owners to be shamed likewise. Let it be known that sportswashers will be disgraced. It will keep them out of the game.

4 Likes

You are not too far wide of the mark. It would have to be a legitimate bonafide finding of them doing nothing wrong. It doesn’t help those players, coaches and managers. I am not convinced football is prepared for the potential fallout.

If we see massive amounts of evidence that proves beyond all doubt nothing is untoward. That will be good for the game.

The other option. Pandoras box. Whilst without a doubt it will be eventually good for the game, i think it will be a much longer process, it will uncover a lot of skeletons and bring a lot of misery.

A new system as close to real time as possible. With structured/tiered disciplinary sanctions (rather than “oh they could get anything from A to Z for this”).

As @Arminius says. A big club will go to the wall due to the incessant pressure and need to spend spend spend just to stay still.

I try to look at the whole picture. I’ve struggled to get my point across but i do appreciate those that have taken the time to try and get an understanding of it. even if they don’t agree.

That sort of system would address the ridiculousness of Everton being in a relegation fight and not knowing how many points they have because of penalties for past violations hanging over the head. It would be far better to have a system in place that enforces compliance before the first ball of the season is kicked.

But that does nothing to address the issue at the heart of the city case - fraud. Cooking the books to appear to be in compliance.

3 Likes

yeah due to the fraud case being difficult to assess. If they have committed fraud i don’t know to whom else they have submitted those accounts. I assume not to the HMRC. I await the outcome of that because it could become an outside of football matter.
Random auditing of club accounts or some kind of central system where club accounts are entered on a daily basis and once it is inputted it can not be changed?

I am not sure how feasible that is. it is not something i have given a great deal of thought too.

Didn’t clubs vote for a spending cap a few days ago? (Guess who voted against)

1 Like

voted for in principle. It is not set in stone. speaking of fraudulent numbers. Scum Utd claim to have 1/8th of the worlds population as a fanbase.

Well they would have been relegated last season so I think they’ve got rather lucky.

Especially as they don’t seem to be any financial place that they’ve pretended to be these independent panels.

Reading this article about Chelsea Women, it’s striking how similar the end of the season is unraveling for them with Emma Hayes leaving (and announcing it ahead of time) to ours.

1 Like

didn’t know spurs was playing today AND sunday

Its a massively flawed idea. Its going to increase Newcastles and Villas spending power what they cant do under P/S.

Making hard work of it against Chelsea.

looks like top 4 is guaranteed now