Racism and all the bad -isms

You misunderstand my question. What makes someone be like that?

Being a shit person to start with?

Feckless, lazy, workshy, selfish, narcissistic and verging on evil? Who doesn’t want the best for their children? To whom is it news that interacting with you kids, looking after them, educating them, feeding them well and making sure they play is critical?

A license to have kids after sitting a practical and written exam, there’s an idea……

What made them a shit person? Everyone starts as a blank canvas when they’re born don’t they? Or are Everton fans born into a life of misery?

You’ve come full circle. Shit parents.

No I haven’t. So a lineage of shit parents is to blame?

Again what made the first in this sequence “shit”

It had to start somewhere, for some reason. You can’t carry on blaming the parents before them or you’ll be blaming apes next

1 Like

It absolutely is, it’s a vicious circle that no amount of carrot seems to stop. Needs more stick. Publishing kid’s school reports would be interesting. Parents would soon start paying attention if little Jimmy’s dreadful report was posted on Facebook. Oh the poor lamb will now get bullied. Didums.

Still think a license to have kids would actually work. Never come in as there would be so many complaints from people who have zero ideas of their own or ones that involve the arts.

Perfect example. Jnr was at the Liverpool Empire yesterday. Jnr is part of their outreach ambassador program (funded by the lottery / arts council). One of their sessions was about how they can encourage people with behavioural difficulties into the arts to help them find something they like. That’ll help……

If you’re badly behaved in highschool, no amount of flowery skirt wearing intervention is going to help.

I’m sure there are studies that say I’m wrong but equally everybody is Wales owns 1.3 sheep.

That’s not really foolproof. What you’ve described above is comparable with the driving test. It sure as heck doesn’t make a recently passed eighteen year old a good driver? There are many ‘qualified’ drvers out there who shouldn’t be on the road.
All of these Met officers now up on various charges would have passed an entrance exam.

Two sixteen years olds who find themselves with the opportunity to become intimate aren’t going to hold back because they don’t have the required paperwork. Just say they go ahead (illegally under what you think is a plan)? Say she gets pregnant? What’s the solution? Enforced termination? Let the pregnancy run to term and put the child in care? Could they then reclaim the child after passing the relevant tests?

Let’s face it, there have always been good parents and bad parents. The same for good kids and bad kids. I’m the youngest of thirteen kids. We all have our own personalities and good and bad things about us. Same parents different outcomes to our characters. I always considered my Mum and Dad to be great parents but as I say we all have good and bad things in our characters.

:+1::nerd_face:

5 Likes

Disagree. While parents play a massive part in how children develop so does the wider environment in which they live.

In addition you can throw all sorts of other things ranging from life experiences, mental issues etc. Into that mix. A kid that is bullied, or loses a parent (s) gets seriously ill, is autistic, dyslexic take your pick. All will impact on someone’s personality etc.

Blaming one thing in the middle of countless other potential influences is far too simplistic and quickly falls apart when you keep blaming parents, then their parents, and their parents and so on. The logic doesn’t work.

1 Like

These things affect a small minority. The wider environment has almost no affect on children who’re under school age. As I said originally, they should have multiple skills and abilities by the time they start school. They’re purely on the parents.

I always find that when multiple causes are blamed for an issue, it’s because the person doing the blaming doesn’t know. It’s like a doctor saying a multiple number of reasons are responsible for a specific medical condition. Nah, you just don’t know mate.

My Aunt had 13 kids. The stories I could tell… You’ll have had one hell of an upbringing!

1 Like

Black people’s love of watermelon was an argument used to justify slavery. It was argued by pro-slavers that they were fine with their treatment as long as you gave them watermelon as a rewarded. So you have to understand the racist connotations of feeding people watermelon to celebrate “black history”. The racist connotations come from the same place as that of blackface. If someone doesnt understand the history it is easy to see there being innocent motivations for doing it (a child blackening his face to dress like Obama on “who is a person you admire” day). But when done as part of a “black history month” exercise…well this is exactly why we have black history month because regular history continues to white wash these things.

Chicken and waffles is a different issue and has a much more positive history (rooted in the success of black jazz), and so I don’t think the explanation you’ve been given of it being a meal is the problem. It is likely a well meaning albeit clumsy attempt at representing a group but again this is precisely why there needs to be an expansion of what counts as valid history in the US schools.

I certainly did @Klopptimist and I wouldn’t change a single second of it.

We were poor, but I can honestly say that it wasn’t until I was older that I realised. My four closest siblings (all girls) really spoiled me, in a good way.
:+1::nerd_face:

1 Like

My fav story from my cousins is of Christmas morning. The older kids knew the tricks and kept them to themselves. Mum and Dad would pile presents on the chairs in the lounge and just drape a sheet of wrapping paper over the top with a name tag. The older kids would get up in the middle of the night and switch the presents so they got the best ones :rofl:

1 Like

Ahem…

Ignoring the development that happens during school years is probably one of your best efforts at mental gymnastics to suit your narrative I’ve read yet.

Multiple reasons exist because they actually exist. I personally rejected learning music at school in an act of rebellion because having emigrated back from Australia the different education system meant I was years behind my class, I was embarrassed by it and how the teacher exposed it. Had nothing to do with my parents who are actually very musical. My brother on the other hand is considerably younger was brought into it early enough and excelled at it. Huge regret of mine because I love music.

Ever heard of PTSD? I guess that was down to bad parenting as well and not the fact that someone has been through something horrific.

People of all ages are influenced by all sorts. Just look at sports washed City fans, ardent brexiteers still denying what’s in front of their face. I guess you voted for brexit because of your parents?

1 Like

Mine was a bit tongue in cheek too.

The point we will throw all kinds of blame at parents for their kids vandalising phone boxes, but don’t seem to have a problem with the parents who have raised their kids to destroy public utilities and asset strip the country.

You guess DEAD wrong. Neither of them will speak to me on the subject and don’t ever mention politics in general. Ardent remainers and Labour to their cores.

No no no. The number of times I’ve heard parents say that the teachers will sort them out is amazing. Like it’s the teachers responsibility to teach children what they should have been taught from the womb.

Do you have kids?

So you’re agreeing with me that parents aren’t the sole reason why people turn out the way they are? Gotcha in the words of Jordan Peterson.

Yes I do and I expect school to help in my children’s development by providing them with the best possible education. But my child, that is currently in school goes there with other children and there are teachers too. All of them, as they interact will shape my boys personality in some way.

The missus has already had a ding dong with his teachers because we suspect he’s dyslexic. We can’t test him until he’s 10 but the teacher preferred to be overly aggressive rather than actually getting to know him and understand that he might be struggling with something. That experience has impacted him badly already. He hates school and has some anxiety issues. But according to your argument it’s my fault he’s struggling, and that he hates school and has anxiety problems at 8 years old. It honestly feels like his future has already been set thanks to some early school experiences.

5 Likes

Nope, sorry again. They never tried to indoctrinate me into political views. Granted they just assumed I’d vote red. I made my own mind up after working in industry and setting up on my own.