Racism and all the bad -isms

Repeated head trauma certainly explains a lot of what you write.

I don’t think asking whether it was meant to be racist is the right way to look at is.

It is racist and it always was. The question is whether people were compelled to give a shit back then, and whether black peoples had the agency or power to challenge it.

glass houses and all that.

I’m starting to wonder why you two are constantly engaging each other. It’s getting awfully tired

Wouldn’t be surprised if the toxic interchanges that’s spreading throughout the different threads is contributing to the disappearance of some of the other users.

1 Like

It is racist and it always was.

Wow, you’re arrogant. You think you know it all.

When I was a young boy, I had the collection of pin badges issued by Robertson’s Jam after collecting the tokens off the jam jars. I never once connected the badges to black people or racism, they were just nice badges to me. I’ll now be waiting for the mob to turn up at my door.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s take an extreme example for effect?

Was slavery racist? Was segregation?

Just because something happened a long time ago, doesn’t mean it wasn’t racist. It just means people didn’t really have the awareness to understand it was.

If you disagree with that, rather than throw insults, tell me why I’m wrong.

Oh and just to recap, for anyone clinging to the notion that this poor publican has been cancelled by the wokerati, she didn’t just have some gollywog dolls lying around - she had arranged them in a whimsical lynching diarama.

That’s not being a bit politically incorrect, and it’s not even being accidentally racist and should really know better. It’s just being really, really fucking unapologetically racist. I’m glad she has lost her business. She totally deserves it, and shame on anyone turning this into a cancel culture bullshit story.

2 Likes

Yep.

Can the lynching aspect actually be proved? I have no knowledge of this particular aspect. If PROVEN then fair enough.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few reports of the lynching angle.

I also think that if it was just some Gollywogs on display, I doubt the police would have pressed it as a racially aggravated offence. You can see gollywogs in shop windows in a lot of seaside town.

Reported here, alongside a few other examples of this couples casual racism.

1 Like

So no then.

1 Like

Literally posted pictures of ‘lynching’ them on Facebook, and joked that they used to do this in Mississippi.

Post above. Is that proof enough?

1 Like

Photos removed.

Sorry, you’ve lost me.

just let it fucking die already. the fact that the beer companies had refused to supply the bar should be proof enough that it was offensive. likely their reps had already seen these dolls and knew they were not acceptable. beer companies don’t just stop selling, it’s bad for business. Unless, it’s bad for business.

you’re fighting over a moot point. the bar is closed.

1 Like

I’m not talking about the publicans.

I’m talking about the original doll which Mascot says was racist.

Of course it doesn’t, just as it doesn’t mean something was. Does it?

That’s what I’m trying to say. This is a pub who’s owners have a track record of racist social media posts, and using the pub as a venue for…let’s say problematic decor?

The point of disagreement is that @klopptimist seems to think it’s an example of cancel culture, and it isn’t. It’s consequence culture. The consequence of being racist is that companies who are reliant on PR are going to inevitably want to stop dealing with you.

And as this is the racism thread, I think it’s a perfectly appropriate place for that discussion. I think @Klopptimist and I do a reasonable job of keeping our disagreements within the relevant threads, but I’ll take on board what you have said about spilling out, and make sure it doesn’t go anywhere else.

I might be wrong, but I think @Mascot’s point is that the intention doesn’t have to be racist. Just the outcomes.

I think that’s one disconnect I have with the way a lot of people use it. I don’t see it as a moral judgment on a person necessarily, it’s more how they choose to respond to it when called out on their acts being racist.

It’s simple respect to me. If I point out that your acts/words are causing me undue distress, and you choose to persist with it, that’s on you. If you were unaware of the harm before but choose to learn from it, good on you.

Same with this whole thing. When someone tells you that the dolls are offensive and discriminatory, but you choose to double down on it, that’s on you. If you take notice and apologise and maybe not put them “in a lynching diorama” then I’m more likely to think that you actually are really fond of the dolls rather than being racist.

2 Likes

The breweries prices for beer are offensive to me.