Racism and all the bad -isms

No, I’m saying complaining about films like White Chicks because they are racist about white people, and trying to draw that equivalence, is so spectacularly tone deaf about the scale and scope of racism directed towards people of colour that it makes me doubt your intentions.

Best suggestion I’ve read for a long time.

If I was a black person…holy mortifying fuck. You actually wrote that.

disgusted colin farrell GIF

Putin’s already thought of that one.

Black focused beauty products and fashion exist because black people and their needs are not represented in the mainstream (read “white”) existing versions. Black women have different needs for cosmetic products and typically other fashion brands as well. That means not only are brands or products that are relevant to them not being raised up by mainstream publications, but the trends they cover then become far less relevant to this audience as well. This absence of a black aesthetic in these publications means if black women want information that is relevant and useful to them they need to look to black focused publications.

These products are not exclusionary, but a response to the exclusion of black women in mainstream coverage of the fashion and beauty industry. That exclusion creates a message that a black aesthetic is not worthy, hence the uplifting titles like “black is beautiful.” Black people wouldn’t feel compelled to keep reminding each other that they are worthy if there weren’t so many messages in main stream society that so many people dont think they are. When James Brown says “Im black and Im proud.” he isnt putting himself above other people, but trying to raise people up to a baseline. We all know that isnt what white pride means so questions of why he can use that phrase when people ask why its wrong to support white pride are pretty self evident.

3 Likes

that was my point though…for kids in our team who were exposed to the girls being treated equally, they truely didnt understand the concept that the girls werent equal

imagine if all we had to do was do something as simple as teach our kids we are all equal and trust them?

3 Likes

Err ok. Thanks. I know all that, it’s perfectly fine. The black is beautiful mag was nothing to do with make up by the way.

So I was right you don’t have anything to offer except deliberately misunderstanding posts, selective quotes to suit your narrative and faux moral outrage. Great debating with you. :+1:

Edited for Mascot.

I dropped it previously because you sad you were done, but you are clearly not, so I will ask…

You have a stated position that the dolls aren’t racist. You have rejected arguments that they are yet I have seen neither any explanation for your position or any counter argument against the ones you reject, despite you engaging on the topic across several exchanges. What is your basis for saying they aren’t?

1 Like

Keep up mate. He’s had a big think about what it would feel like if he was a black man, and decided he’d be sound with it. Therefore not racist.

Accidental Moral Outrage? That’s a new one.

Wow!! Ok you win Mascot. I am racist. Well done :+1:

If that was the meaning,it would be a new one.

1 Like

So I think it’s agreeable that these dolls did become racial or symbols of racism along the years?

But in the context of both of your argument, one says it’s created out of racism, one say it’s not. So are there any actual facts or evidence to support either, that seems to be what you are all debating about?

First step to forgiveness is acceptance, and I congratulate you on this. :joy:

In all seriousness, I’d stop short of calling you racist because I’m sure you are not really, but the ‘if I were a black man’ line of argument you have used here is really unpleasant and more than a little uncomfortable.

Firstly, If you were a black man, you would probably be seeing the issues you are commenting on through a lens of oppression and discrimination stretching back centuries and you would likely have very different views on these issues. What you are doing is seeing these issues as a white person pretending they are physically black, but with none of the cultural and racial context that goes along with it.

PS. When I said ‘therefore not racist’ I was referring to the issue.

Faux Pas - a mistake, usually an embarrassing one

Faux - false or artificial.

For whom?

The people being offended on their behalf?

1 Like

You spoil sport you.

To dolls. Probably, I’m a bit late to this one. I think it works like this. Toy manufacturers do market research and try to make products that will make them the most money. In a society which is 87% majority white (as the US was in the 1970 census), it would follow that the majority of children’s dolls would also be white. But…consider this.

1. The first black G.I. Joe doll was manufactured in 1965. I do remember them as a kid.

2. There have been, in the U.S. anyway, manufacturers of black dolls dating back into the 19th Century. Products will find their markets. Just as black beauty care products have also existed for around the same amount of time.

Now, by the way, at least in the US by the 2000 census, the white population has “dwindled” to 75%. However, the black percentage of our population has hardly changed in a hundred years. Has been constant at between 10% and 12%. Most of the change has been from Hispanic and Asian immigration.

2 Likes