Racism and all the bad -isms

More proof how far ahead of the curve they were.

1 Like

I agree with you wholeheartedly there.

2 Likes

Seems an absolutely sensible decision.
Must be totally demoralising for the thousands of young girls who train hard to get near the top of their chosen sport only to be beaten by unfair competition.
Sharon Davies has been campaigning for similar in swimming.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying Dane. And the sensitive manner in which you say it
The question regarding participation in gender specific sport is sensitive and requires proper consideration.
Especially fir those athletes whose trainjng and participation is rendered useless by stronger athletes involvement.

But there is a way to develop the conversation. And therein lies the crux.

1 Like

I can’t believe that they considered cutting that scene. The joke is Reg, who claims be interested in other people rights but is essentially just a self-obsessed prick. We watched that again at Easter and it’s incredible how contemporary that feels.

He also wants to cut the crucifixion scene which has pissed off Eric Idle.

2 Likes

It’s all rather simple. Men compete against men. Women against women. Common sense. Imagine.

1 Like

So…
Trans women?
Are they men or women in sport?

Its a difficult question that @Dane addressed.
But in some ways it really isn’t that simple

Trans women aren’t women. They have no place in women’s sport.

2 Likes

In sport, it is.
If the person in question has gone through male puberty, then it’s deemed they are likely to be sufficiently stronger that a “normal” female, hence giving them an unfair sporting advantage in a “female” event.

2 Likes

I am not arguing the notion of competitiveness.

I am more concerned about how the discussion or debate takes place

1 Like

:joy:
I’m not.

2 Likes

why? Why does this whole debate have to be “kid gloved” to the n’th degree?

Unless I’m very mistaken (Quiet at the back Private Eccles, Goons gag) nobody on here is actually trans?

Although given the vitriol handed out to anybody who doesn’t tow the trans line (hi) I suspect it’s a topic VERY close to some people’s lives.

The issue here is though the relevant confines are the imagined ones he is creating and about what defines biological sex. The biological rules that define biological sex are rules of thumb and nothing more, and leave a meaningful number of people not fitting cleanly into either category.

There are a whole class of conditions known in which the sex binary is incompatible with reality, conditions called Disorder of Sex Development (DSDs). These are estimated to effect about 1 in 10 people, but this accounts for only the DSDs that have already been defined. DSD is not generally synonymous with being transgender, but the relevance is that once you’ve disabused yourself of the idea that nature is no more complex than the biology you learned in school when you were 12, then we have to assume there are still plenty of biological explanations we don’t yet know about to cause incongruency between sex and their assigned gender.

EDIT: FUCK…1 in 100 not 1 in 10

2 Likes

1 Like

How did they get my photo? Feckin’ image scrapers!!!

The injustice being, hard working girls potentially being cheated at events in the sport they love?

1 Like

If you go through the discussion you will find not a single person, including me, suggesting that British Cycling have made a wrong decision.

What you find is a few people suggesting it’s probably the right call, but nothing to celebrate. And one person in particular responding with the usual mix of ignorance and bigotry.

1 Like

Having family members that knew some of the parents who lost children in the accident in Devonport , Tas, Australia around 18 months ago where a bouncy castle wasn’t properly tired down and took off for the children to fall out of the sky, I really think there should be much tougher assessments for the installations of bouncy castles.

I originally thought it must be just a freak accident, but it’s actually ridiculous how frequently kids are dying in bouncy castle accidents. I actually don’t allow my kids to go on one if there is any form of breeze now. I think it’s a very poorly regulated form of children’s entertainment.

So when @klopptimist is deciding that something is a biological fact, he isn’t really including what biologists have to say on the matter?

1 Like

I think we should agree to leave this.

Or you can carry on and you’ll make it nasty. Again.