Racism and all the bad -isms

Jackson was an astounding musical entertainer. Jnr loves him. Dreading the day I have to tell her :frowning:

I agree with this. Also, interestingly enough it was a discussion point on Simon Mayo’s interview with David Baddiel about his latest book. Baddiel uses Roald Dahl as an example.

https://twitter.com/BooksOfTheYear/status/1361662420482072580?s=20

1 Like

When growing up i thought a certain Aussie entertainer was brilliant,loved his painting,stories and songs.When younger i taught my kids one of my favourite childhood songs which i now feel uneasy about even though i still love the song as it is quite sentimental for me.

My kids (mid teens)have read all of Walliams books but they have never said or pointed out issues they have found with his books.

I think we need to untangle Disney the man from the films.

As deplorable Harvey Weinstein is (as an example) I can still enjoy the films he was involved in. From Lord of the Rings to Gangs of New York. The depictions in Disney films whilst unacceptable by today’s standards were acceptable for the time. All the old cartoons I loved as a kid from basically any studio are not longer acceptable. Many things in cartoons of that era (Hanna Barbera, Disney, Warner Bros) are reflective of their time and place.

Cartoons were over exaggerated charcters. With over exaggerated personalities. Didnt matter if it was on stereotypes like Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy Gonzales or the maid in Tom and Jerry . From lisps or stutters (Sylvester the Cat, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig) to things like blindness like Mr Magoo.

It was not until I was an adult (in my 30s) that I considered it could be offensive. As a kid I had a speech impediment but my favourite T-shirts were ones with Sylvester the Cat and Daffy Duck ! Like vast majority of people I simply took it as face value, it never even crossed my mind. I honestly don’t think it crossed the minds of many in the studios that it would be offensive, or reinforce stereotypes.

The reality is as a society we have changed a lot in recent years. We forget that Disney would have been an adult before women could vote, that the civil rights movement did not occur till after he died. That different sexual orientation was not acceptable (in 1950s people like Alan Turing were chemically castrated). For me we cant hold movies/cartoons and actions to the standards we set ourselves for today.

6 Likes

Oh, just to clarify, I haven’t really confiscated the Roald Dahl books. They’re nearly all great. But Dahl himself, bit of an arsehole.

1 Like

As always, if you’re willing to talk to your kids about stuff, anything is sort of OK.

We let the kids watch Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day. Aside from it being a lot more violent than I remember (I think I must have watch TV edits when I was a kid) there is a lot of questionable sexual politics in it. Had a bit of a chat, and it’s largely OK.

The melting faces, not so much. Hoping the youngest will start talking again soon.

1 Like

Jnr’s a little older. just been through The Matrix series with her. Can’t wait for Alien and Shawshank :slight_smile:

Shawshank? She old enough for gang rape?

I don’t get what is wrong with raiders. Certain movies can’t be watched by kids due to pg ratings, that’s an obvious.Maybe as adults we think about these things that go over our kids heads and never register with them in the way that they register with us.

Almost every night with my little one I use to read her a story in bed. However there is only so many times you can read the Gruffalo or Snail on a Whale. So I started giving her my own stories. I would make them up on the spot. About how I would fight monsters or aliens. Adding in kids humour.

After a while it started getting more and more difficult. So I tapped into my childhood of 80s movies and TV . Star Wars, Gremlins, Ghost busters, ET, Dark Crystal, the Outer limits. I would describe the plots of these movies and semi act them out. For years she thought that I was one of the best storytellers in the world. Amazed I could come up with such fantastic tales.

She is now a tween, and last month we were watching Back to the Future. About half way through she clicked. You stole your stories from TV !!

:rofl:

At least I now get to enjoy them with her !

11 Likes

Bonus points for using this.

Double bonus points for your daughter’s perspicacity. :sunglasses:

1 Like

“Walt Disney created one of the most incredible businesses on earth. You’ve created what exactly?”

Thank you for waiting

What have I created?
Nothing - I spent half my life chasing whiskey and women - I wasted the other half.

2 Likes

Sean Flanagan Fah GIF by FoilArmsandHog

That’s why we’ve not watched it yet.

1 Like

Family guy Star Wars?

I’m in that boat now. Some books just fill me with dread now.

There is quite a lot of gore in it for a PG. The melting faces but at the end, but a lot of blood spattering about. The bit that upset my eldest (9) was when at the beginning when Indy finds Alfred Molina’s character impaled on spikes. There was a bit that I couldn’t remember so it must have been cut for TV, where a bloke gets shot in the back and coughs a load of blood up.

But on the sexual politics thing, it’s suggested that Indy and Marian had a relationship when she was underage, and then the whole of their relationship is just weird. She’s pissed off at him, antagonistic towards him, and then just falls in love with him for no reason. But thats a thing with George Lucas. He’s just shit at convincing relationships and seems to think women have to be won over and coerced, often aggressively (see Empire Strikes Back) an

1 Like

I played The Autumn Years scene from The Meaning of Life to my neices and nephews about 5 years ago cause I thought they would find it funny. One still has nightmares about Mr Creosote. Snowflake children nowadays

3 Likes

Was just about to post this. Agree with him completely.

Those evil bastard Muppets.
They poisoned my mind against Swedish chef puppets and pigs in dresses.
Reading that 101 Dalmatians is up next for cancelling (animal cruelty)

Mary Whitehouse the Queen of censorship (if you remember her) must be laughing her tits off.

Of Course There’s a Muppet Trigger Warning