Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

I wouldn’t know, I haven’t been anywhere near Goodison for years. And they couldn’t pay me enough now. I’m lying, they probably could!

1 Like

Some fans protest by hiring a plane to fly a message , others go to a printers and get a banner made up. Everton fans ask their nan if they can borrow the bed sheets :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wonder if their fans realise there if other mediums to express their displeasure ? Or if dirty sheets is the medium of choice.

If Rafa does sign I expect more spray painted bedding. Not just the bedding seen in the Wirral and outside Goodison. Expect pillow cases, blankets and even duvets!

4 Likes

My mum’s family are all die hard reds but my dad’s family are a mix of blues, Tranmere fans and just casual Football fans with slight allegiance to those two. Few years back they’d regularly have a couple of season tickets on the go between them for Everton and till I was old enough to have an OK salary to afford LFC tickets myself I’d already been to multiple Tranmere games and Everton games with my dad on one of the season tickets. Never really supporting them on more a neutral watching a live game out of Interest. But then I’m one of those fans that’d love all 3 Merseyside Clubs to be doing well, I’d even like it to be back to the 80s style with Everton winning what Liverpool don’t and being the clear 2nd best team behind us with Merseyside owning English football. Although I also find it hilarious winding up Everton fans over how long its been without a trophy… so I’m conflicted.

4 Likes

As strictly a non local…

I’d find it a lot easier to tolerate everton if they didnt glorify thugs like “big dunc” and didnt celebrate their players doing a number on vvd and thiago.

Fuck them…and the funes mori cunt

If they celebrate that , they for sure deserve the shit that is piled on them.

5 Likes

Terrible business to threaten Rafa. Hopefully they are found and charged. That takes rivalry into an altogether darker place. Not on.

As for the good old days, I can just about remember late 70s, but easily recall when Liverpool and Everton were the best two in the country through the mid 80s. I never minded it when Everton did well, but I never wanted them to finish ahead of us.

They did in the mid 80s that time, and they had a cracking side. Missing out on European football, due to Thatcher wanting to crack down on all things working class, as football was back then, was probably the turning point in the vitriol from Everton.

I left the area to go to Uni at the end of the 80s and either lived elsewhere in the country, or now overseas, since that time.

I get the clear impression that Everton fans have delved deeper into the bitter bucket, and they imagine their lot would be a lot better - more trophies, more prestige, more money - if Heysel didn’t set them back. There has been a lot more than that since then, but that seemed the turning point.

Anyway, I’d rather Rafa didn’t go there, but the strongest feeling I have about the matter is that he should do whatever he likes. He has professional skills to bring, and he should be able to work, unencumbered.

The knobs who did the sign will hopefully be identified and charged.

3 Likes

I actually quite like Tony Cottee during his Everton times.

But whoever did that sign has to be legally punished.

One thing is for certain…it will end in failure…and probably tears. I didn’t understand the motivation for the China adventure apart from purely the money of course and this strikes me as purely a financial motivation as well although I can’t believe he is short of money.

I think it will be a brief and painful stay…I think he is foolish to take this on. It’s lose, lose.

4 Likes

I know that it’s a serious matter but I can’t help laughing at the imbecile(s) who scribbled that they know where he lives and then proceeded to place it outside the wrong house.

His family’s living at Wirral.

I know. I passed his house the other day. That didn’t seem to be a factor when he went to China…

3 Likes

Why are you doing a Trump and going on and on about China??

He went, he didn’t need your permission, and he certainty doesn’t need to justify it to us - even if it was motivated by finances.

The point is you can’t say it has to be Everton (as opposed to Spurs or Palace) due to him living on the Wirral. He was living on the Wirral but it didn’t stop him working in Newcastle, London, Milan, Madrid and China! It keeps getting presented as he has to take Everton or he’ll have nothing. Its bollocks.

To me, it’s a bit like dumping a girlfriend, not really wanting anything to do with her when at various points in the subsequent years you’ve found yourself single, but still expecting she has to consider your feelings when thinking about shacking up with the lad down the road you can’t stand.

Well, she shouldn’t have to move in with that dickhead over the road - there are a couple of lads I know a few towns away who are looking for a girlfriend. One of them has a lovely house but is broke, and the other has just had a long term relationship with a much older partner end. What’s wrong with them?

At what point do we understand we don’t want them, as much as they might still want us. And as such what they do next is none of our business?

7 Likes

I agree with you but… is this a bit different in that she is shacking with your brother and he lives in the room across the hallway?

Anyway, I DO agree with you and I wish him the best of luck - even at Everton - except for in the games against us of course!

I see. I’ve never seen it as a take Everton or leave it option for Rafa. I see it as he’s now into 60s, and probably prefers to idea of being close to his family. It’s his life. I’m pretty sure that when I’m in my 60s, I’d be looking to wind down a touch, and part of that would be not moving to a new city and living away from my family (again).

I’ve said it before in this thread - Rafa moving to Everton doesn’t taint his status for me - Everton are not a concern for me year in year out.

7 Likes

More like moving across the road to live with your brother who has a history of being abusive to partners. Was always really nasty to her when you were with her, hates you due to your success, will treat her family terribly and she seems to only be doing it because he can offer her a nice lifestyle. I don’t want my ex with my brother, especially one that hates me and I don’t want my ex to put herself and family in such a terrible situation just for a nice lifestyle which she can get elsewhere.

1 Like

He should’ve applied for the Tranmere job then, that’s even closer to home. Anywhere but Everton.

1 Like

One thing that bugs me is the view some are taking (on all forms of social media) is that he’s greedy - taking jobs at clubs like Chelsea, one in China, and now Everton is one along those lines as well.

I think it’s important to remember how much Rafa (and his family) actually do in terms of sharing their wealth through charity works. They’ve put their hands deep in their pockets, in order to support local charities (not only in Liverpool, he was very active locally in Newcastle too). He started off by donating 96k for the justice campaign, and continued to support that.

Flip side to that, I’ve never seen Rafa dressing flashy, driving lambos and ferraris, or living life as if he’s someone special - a normal guy that only wants to be involved in football, share is wealth and do good in the community.

Without the jobs he’s taken, his impact wouldn’t be near as high.

8 Likes

Well, you made that analogy unnecessarily dark.

The reality is that Rafa is a jobbing manager, and we have absolutely no interest in employing him again. At that point we have to accept it’s none of our business what he does next.

If he wants to take the Everton managers job, then that’s between him and the Ev. The job is on his doorstep and it obviously appeals to him on that basis.

Let’s not forget when he left Liverpool, half the fanbase wanted him gone.

4 Likes

This time, he’ll be starting at Everton, when most of the fanbase don’t want him in the first place.

6 Likes

I don’t think the Tranmere job is available.