Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

It’s not like he can pick and choose where he’ll manage next. If he could, he would have returned to LFC a long time ago.

Perhaps I’ve missed them but I haven’t seen reports linking him to other managerial openings. And even if there were, I can’t begrudge him for preferring to work in his family’s adopted city.

2 Likes

To be fair Everton is a club with a big history in England, it was one of the big clubs even if they are (the fans) small time mentality.

I could see the appeal (if I was a neutral) over Spurs or Palace. There’s a really good opportunity to begin a successful project there. (they, the fans will mess it up of course).

Anyway, I love Rafa. I think if he’d have had the backing Klopp has had we’d have been celebrating number 21 or 22 with Klopp instead of number 19.

I also find it shocking just how many ‘fans’ underestimate the handicap he had while working under H & G and view it as Rafa being difficult, had come to the end of his cycle, Rafa had used a big transfer ‘war chest’ (whatever that means) etc. They bought into the media lies hookline and sinker.

5 Likes

It is dark. Him and his family are already being threatened by idiots who are stupid enough to do something stupid and he hasn’t even been appointed yet. It’ll be 6 months before he’s even had enough games to start winning some of them over and it’ll take years for some of them. He doesn’t have to enter into such a toxic situation. The closeness to home can’t be that much of a benefit to counterbalance such hostility.

I was joking, of course.

That’s shameful though isn’t? Say he feels like living closer to home, happy to be active in a job he loves, his job offer is very attractive (beer googles). But he can’t take the job for fear of upsetting some of the locals.

I prefer that he doesn’t go to the bitters. He’s on a hiding to nothing. They won’t give him a chance.

I mean I thought appointing Woy was a colosal mistake, (I had followed his career at Malmo closely) and I’m sure many other people thought the same. He was given a chance though. It became apparent very quickly, he was out of his depth. But he was welcomed.

That’s it. Why go into a no win situation that’ll be unpleasant for you and your family when there will be alternatives.

1 Like

It’s his decision. I don’t understand why Rafa has chosen half the jobs he’s taken, but it’s up to him.

3 Likes

Because he loves a challenge and knows that that he can deliver. He’s also got a rather thick skin.

Im not going to get into whether he should take the job, but the negating the attractiveness of being able to work close to home because he’s taken jobs elsewhere before is a bit obtuse. Having felt the need to take jobs away from your family in the past is precisely the reason one close to home is attractive.

8 Likes

How far does that go though? Surely a toxic working environment is a big enough negative to at least make you reconsider whether the locality benefit is enough? Especially someone with a successful record of working in far flung places for many years? I do think this situation could get very bad before it can get better. Knowing stupid, idiotic blues that I’ve known in the past I could well imagine one of them doing something stupid. For all that most of them are sound and can have intelligent conversations and banter with some are absolute lunatics who I’ve known to celebrate Hillsborough. One of them could easily do something to endanger Rafa or a family member. There is a point you just have to sit back and ask yourself is it worth it? I mean is he even going to get the chance to succeed there? What would be considered success? And would the fan base still turn their noses up at positive impacts there because they’re provided by Rafa? You look at their recent past managers, many are doing pretty damn well for themselves. They weren’t all as bad as their time in EFC made them look.

Pretty sure I said I wasnt getting into whether he should take the job

Oh yes, I did.

2 Likes

If I was Rafa, I don’t think I’d consider Everton knowing the depth of the rivalry in the City and all. That being said, I can understand the attraction after years at Newcastle. Everton have money to spend and are willing to spend it. They maybe, might at some point build that fancy new waterfront stadium that is apparently costing Liverpool its historical site status.

All that being said, the level of crazy that leads so-called fans to threaten him and his family for considering the job just need to stop now - or people need to go to jail.

1 Like

I don’t know Rafa’s personal financial status, but if I had to guess, I’d say he probably doesn’t actually have to work again.

If he wants to take the Everton job, I don’t think it’s just because it’s close to home. He could retire and always be at home or probably find some other football related role that can be done from home like columnist for a website.

He’s not a stupid man and if he’s still interested after the threats it must be because for whatever reason, he really wants to take on that challenge.

The earlier analogies were perhaps not applicable because he’s not a young girl who you can’t help but worry about. He’s a grown man who’s managed big clubs, overseas clubs and shit plastic clubs. If he gets the job he’s not walking into it blindly.

1 Like

2 those them finals were all down stevie G ok rafa was in charge ! We were getting battered in 3 them altogether,
The decision he made our old gaffer got know that moving to Goodison would water down Istanbul and being on front line criticising H&G.

I remember those finals much differently than you do.

Sometimes as an individual… there is a need to test oneself in their chosen profession…
Sure the Maureen’s and Peps of this world will play it safe and carefully choose their place of employment… but those two are legends in their own living room, with nothing to prove to themselves because they believe the hype that comes their way…
Rafa on the other hand, may well see the Blueshite and hostile fanbase as the ultimate test of measuring his self-worth as a football manager per se…
He certainly couldn’t have picked a more arduous task than the one he has…
Hey, who knows, he may even bring back the tradition of the stewards walking in front of the fans, and randomly throwing Everton Mints into the crowd to keep their spirits up…! :0))

1 Like

I thought it was the toffee lady, with her basket of Everton mints, who walked around the perimeter throwing them into the crowd. Not some minging steward from County Road!

1 Like

If he’d have joined United, I’d have thought of him as a pantomime villain, somebody to be boo’ed in good humour. Joining Everton, I really don’t care.

BUT, I’m not a Liverpool local and I’d imagine that some will be massively pissed off with this.

If I were an Evertonian, I’d be pleased as punch as Rafa will improve the club. Ultimately, what do you want?

Considers whiskey nose managing Liverpool after his success at United and feels massively confused……

So what you’re saying is because a fringe lunatics threatened his family, he shouldn’t take the job.

Fringe lunatics 1 - 0 Decency? What does that do to pricks who think trying to bully and threaten people put of the football club they support is a good idea? Dissuade or encourage them?

Rafa being Rafa, as soon as soon that bedsheet was hung on his wall, he’d have been driving to Kenwright’s house with his best fountain pen in his top pocket. He’s that kind of man.

9 Likes