Rafael "Rafa" Benítez Maudes

1 Like

Remember that time Rafa fucked a woman half his age while his wife was undergoing Cancer treatment and then blamed it on the stress caused by his daughter alcohol addiction.

Oh no, wait that wasn’t Rafa. Now, who was it. I’ve forgotten again.

8 Likes

Isn’t he still with that young one he cheated on his wife with. How he has no shame to stay in the public eye after that.

1 Like

Wherever Rafa has gone as a manager , he has given 100% to his employers. He has been treated shabbily and not appreciated, even the last couple of years at LFC. I really feel sorry for Rafa

Everton fans seem to be more toxic each year, they really are an awful bunch now.
I hope it takes years for their stadium to get built.

3 Likes

Yeah I treated them as a bit of a noisy neighbour, after last years derby my whole perspective changed.

4 Likes

I know quite a lot of really nice ones :wink:

Some of my best friends are…evertonians :scream:
Unlike the vast majority of people on here who have chosen to be Liverpool supporters, if you actually come from Liverpool, you really don’t get to choose. You are pretty much always born one or the other.

Also in my generation, it is pretty much split along religious lines.

4 Likes

Will be interesting to see what he does next.

He was obviously aware that this one might not last long and it could be his last job in Liverpool.

Perhaps he’ll take a break from all this (post-China & Everton) and see if there’s another job in the PL next summer or whenever.

1 Like

Aren’t there families where one brother is Evertonian and the other one is Liverpool in the same house?

I am sure some Evertonians are nice. When I was last in Liverpool, I met more Evertonians in the eateries and shops and they were really lovely. I went on a Anfield matchday.

2 Likes

In my experience that is quite rare and families tend to be red or blue… my wife is from a very large third generation Irish catholic family and every single one is a blue. My family is protestant and I don’t know of a single blue in the extended family. I think the religious aspect is thankfully blurring now but in my childhood and youth catholics were pretty much always blues and protestants were pretty much always reds.

2 Likes

It was a mistake for Benitez to go to Everton. Maybe he looked at their squad and thought to himself, “There’s some talent there and I know I can make them immediately better. Plus, I love Liverpool, I understand the people, I’ve worked in difficult places before. Winning wins everyone over.” What he probably underestimated was that things can go bad–both your strikers can go out with injuries–and it’s not like Everton’s fans or owner were going to give him the time and patience necessary to rebuild a disjointed and ageing squad.

Now his career is at a crossroads. His best work is years in the past. He’s no longer considered technically innovative. He’s got vast experience, but not in keeping teams from getting relegated, or in taking mid-table sides and pushing for Europe. Maybe a national team would be interested–he clearly knows how to get a team ready for a cup competition, and defensive solidity is more important at the international level than in a league.

1 Like

I have heard that Everton is more Catholic and Liverpool is more Protestant. It is interesting to note both Gerrard and Carragher origins were Everton and are from Catholic denomination but played for Liverpool.

Stevie G is not from a catholic family but attended a catholic school. He was a boyhood Liverpool fan.

You are correct about Carragher though and also Robbie Fowler was from a catholic family and was an Everton supporter.

I don’t think a lot of fans from outside the city realise that the rivalry between the two sides did have a religious basis but never resulted in the same level of hostility as the two Glasgow clubs. Until comparatively recently Rangers would not even sign catholic players.

3 Likes

Not least because any sectarianism was diluted by signings like King Kenny from Celtic and various Oirish.

1 Like

I’m a Red and my Son is a B…, B…, B…

He’s in jail for Murder, Drug Dealing, Bestiality and Arson.

OK, he’s a Blue. But it was less embarrassing saying the other thing. :wink:

Joking aside, I’m the youngest of 13 kids. I know. :scream:. Mum was an Irish Catholic and Dad was a Scottish Protestant. Growing up there didn’t seem to be too much talk of footy in our house. It was more music, 2 of my Brothers were Reds but never pushed an agenda on me. Neither did my Sister who was a Blue owing to the fact she met Brian Labone once. In fact it was her who got me supporting The Reds having seen a feature on Blue Peter about making a Reds or Arsenal kit for Teddy Bears. She made me one (Red) for my Bear and I never looked back.
I too decided not to push my football allegiance on to my Son. His Mum’s family got him to be a B…, Blue and I wished him good luck. Give him his due. He’s stuck with them through thick and thin.
Well, just thin really. He’s seen more success when we’ve watched Tranmere together. (The reasons for which are another story). :nerd_face:

1 Like

Wasn’t Terry on all kinds of injections and now he struggles to walk?

But go off I suppose.

1 Like
3 Likes

What about his Everton tactics?

At neverton it was more tictacs. :grin::grin:

1 Like
1 Like