Romeo Lavia (DM/CM) Southampton

And by the way these arent bullets - they literally are missiles one after the other. I would rather not sign another midfielder rather than signing Palinho or Dacoure or Gravenbach for 100 million. We can do hell a lot more with this money. The probability of success is very very high if we can get players from South America or Europe - we dont need any players from premier league unless they have an affordable release clauses like Maccalister.

2 Likes

Schmadtke shares little to no blame on this. This is down to Gordon and the owners. He’s on a temporary appointment anyway. Club’s decision.

Lavia by all accounts was actually keen and favoured Liverpool. The bid process, rejected bids, was all too slow. To then change up and go for Caicedo at the last hour, to then fail, has now backfired.
Disaster. Heads should roll.

1 Like

Think Roy Hodgson GIF by DAZN

What about Cabrales, Mimolette or Nieheimer?

Surely there is a tasty option from that lot.

Who? Who?

Who should I buy next?

I know I am preaching to the choir with you, but the focus on not having a 6, a like for like replacement for who Fabs was, seems off for a couple of reasons

While you can play a Fabs like player in the role Mac played yesterday it absolutely is not required. When talking about a single vs double pivot we all seem to appreciate the responsibilities are different and so lend themselves to a different profile of player. This role is far more like playing a double pivot, so when Klopp says the Maca and Jones couldnt play the 6 by themselves, but we’re not asking them to so its ok, he is stating this very clearly. It’s fine to want as a preference someone more defensive minded to partner trent, but it is not a requirement, and we saw from the influence Maca had on the game how much more a different profile of player can add if that is who you go with.

I also think it misreads yesterday’s game. I think very few of the issues we had defensively are necessarily solved by replacing Maca with a Fabs like player, but “we need a 6” seems to be shorthand for not being happy with how we defended. It’s sort of the equivalent of sticking the knife in Robertson because the lack of pressure we got on the ball all over the pitch resulted in him facing 2-1s all the time. You dont fix that by asking Robbo to do better. You fix that by not allowing them to find Enzo so easily and giving him time to pick his passes.

Even that Joyce peice - Liverpool desperately need a 6. Now Im going to shit on them for missing out on signing a player who isnt a 6, has complained about being a 6 last season at Chelsea, but use him as an example of how we’re off target on brining in the 6 we need?

4 Likes

I’m sat here watching The Flaw, doco about the 2008 crash.

I think we’ve just been punk’d by the efficient market hypothesis.

I felt the same. Think Klopp wanted more powers and that could be one reason why Edwards and Ward left. May be he restricted the role of Sporting Director - else I don’t see why Ward left so early and we appointed Schmadke in a temporary basis. I would blame Klopp more than anyone else in this regard.

Can we close this the fuck down and go back to moaning on The Owners thread?

1 Like

Are you saying I have a lack of insight into the world of football?

Is that the irony?

So, it’s bad negotiation tactics that we didn’t get Caicedo for £115 million quid + his £250,000 minimum weekly wage on an 8 year contract?

If that’s what you believe, great :+1:

3 Likes

tumblr_nt30gnjIt41qd9dz2o1_r1_500

I heard Ward left over the poor handling of the Nunez deal.

We will never know and it’s not really for this thread.

Oh didn’t know that but he isnt dud. He is 24 but we overpaid no doubt. But Gapko was a great signing. The problem I see with the current setup is there are no targets for CDM in mind. We are going after every name with so many inhibitions initially and trying to match the bids later on. Not the way we used to do business. Need to be clinical.

We simply don’t know what we are going for, we’ve played radio silence throughout this.

That’s evident from that Joyce article. They aren’t feeding a single thing to the press hence his flippant remark about Twitter scouting.

Remember before the window our summer list was:

Mount
Macallister
Thuram/Kone

We’ve bought one, with one aside from that. Dom looked all the world to be going Newcastle.

In the last week it’s been Lavia and Caciedo (one from a previous summer).

4 Likes

Here’s the thing. I’ve seen loads of people proclaiming the end of the world for this and the Caicedo business, and then others saying everything is fine.

I think balance and patience is needed, but I can understand people feeling like this is the second summer we’ve felt that way and last summer turned out to be a mistake in not signing a midfielder then.

What bugs me is that information is clearly going around that isn’t true, but some of it probably is…in the absence of any real way to tell the difference, people end up with just confirmation bias. If you already think FSG are fuckups, you’ll believe all the ITKs confirming that. If you don’t, you’ll probably believe the more pro-FSG takes.

Or so it seems.

The reality is that sources of information matter and the ones with credibility lean much more towards FSG having a plan, perhaps stretching themselves a bit too much with Caicedo or trusting his agents (which is only the agents’ fault, though perhaps we might have known they were dicks), and for patience.

It’s going in circles now — people who’ve already been convinced that everything on Musksite is true are just continuing to post the same thoughts, and people who aren’t are refuting those thoughts. It’s getting a little repetitive, but then again I keep refreshing the site to read it so who am I to judge?

5 Likes

I’ll wait to see what happens up to the window.

They deserve criticism the whole team if they don’t fill some gaps but it’s 2 weeks let’s see.

2 Likes

you aiming that at me? Because they are bhind a pay wall I can only post what someone else has posted. Its not to get a rise out of anyone.

I think the one thing that has not been addressed re Caicedo is the disgraceful conduct of Brighton
Thoroughly dishonorable…

2 Likes

Well that is embarassing. We dragged the negotiations for weeks about the player that seemed to want to come to us - so long that he decided to move elsewhere.

1 Like